1187 remington super mag

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by weatherbymag257, Mar 6, 2012.

1. weatherbymag257

weatherbymag257 New Member

This is the worst shotgun on the market today. I'm not even able to shoot three rounds through it with out it jamming and most of the times it jams so bad that it has to be taken to a gunsmith. I've sent it out 12 times to fix it but like always Remington says they've fixed the problem. Of corse they haven and the shotgun still jams worse than ever. It is a versa max saying it can shoot any shell with out jamming. I'm thinking about suing Remington for millions of dollars for false advertising. Feel free to post and complain about the 1187 and how horrible it is.

2. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I think they are darned good guns. I've had 9 1100s/11-87s since 1963 and never a problem with a one of them. I have a couple of friends that have been shooting two of the Supers for about 6 or 7 years with no issues I have ever seen or heard of.
    I have found that recalcitrant mechanical devices will unerringly seek out those least likely to be able to resolve the issue.

3. akers06

akers06 New Member

My buddy just bought a new 1187 and he also has trouble with it jamming also

4. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

What sort of ammo is it that jams? Low-brass?

Seriously, for what? Having one bad gun slip through QC? Ever thought about just asking your money back if the gun is that bad? :rolleyes:

5. akers06

akers06 New Member

My buddies gun jams on any 2 3/4" shell he shoots plus I've herd of a few others having that problem also

6. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Are they Versa Max also? If so, then there might something wrong with the design. Then again, if I'm planning on shooting a lot of 2 3/4 shells, I wouldn't buy a semi-auto with a 3½" chamber.

7. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

Those semi autos are designed to shoot one length shell. From what I understand I bet that gun will shoot 3.5 shells just fine. I read somewhere that semi autos have an internal adjuster for different shell lengths. the versa max uses gas ports that will either cover some of the ports up with 3 and 3.5 inch shells our cover none with 2 3/4 shells.

8. akers06

akers06 New Member

My STOEGER is a 3 1/2" gun and it has never jammed once but it is inertia driven not gas

9. akers06

akers06 New Member

I'm not sure if the versa max has the same system or not

10. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Yeah, the OP confused me a bit by talking about 11-87 and Versa Max. Checked Remingtons website, doesn't say anything about the Versa Max -system on the 11-87s. If it is gas operated and has a 3½" chamber, then it's no wonder if it's not cycling well with all the 2 3/4" shells. It might work with some, but I wouldn't bother trying under 1oz loads. This is just in general, I'm not too familiar with Remington's semi-autos.

11. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Here let's solve this problem just send it to me and it will never jam on u again;)

12. akers06

akers06 New Member

I'm not sure of the specs on remingtons but my STOEGER which has the same bolt system as the benellis recommends 1 1/8 oz shot and up I tried 1oz and it cycles those but I've never tried anything lighter than that

13. weatherbymag257

I recently sold it and bought an ol 1100 from a buddy and it shoots just as good as my benelli

14. weatherbymag257

It jams with every shell I shoot wether its a high or low brass 2 3/4 or 3 1/2 it all jams horribly

15. weatherbymag257

In commercials it says it will shoot any shell you can Put in it

16. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Every one gets a lemon man all u had to do was take it to a Smith and have it checked out

17. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

What bigdaddy said, if it's not working right you take it back to the store you bought it from or to a smith.

How's that lawsuit going by the way?

18. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

The 11-87 3-1/2" has an activator you are supposed to use to shoot 2-3/4" shells. Clearly stated in the owner's manual. I have "fixed" 3 that wouldn't shoot 2-3/4" loads by installing the activator (2 minute job), which was still in the box and the owner had wondered what that thing was for.

19. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I have considered a autoloader for some time now and have always been a remington shotgun man, but all this badmouthing of them of late makes me nervous of buying one, first the 870 is supposedly junk(form another thread), and now the autos aren't cuttin the mustard? whats this world coming to? lol