11 year old shoots and kills intruder

Discussion in 'Firearms in the Media' started by thdrduck, Sep 4, 2015.

1. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

A 16 year old intruder was shot and killed by an 11 year old in St. Louis. Seems the kid and is little sister were home alone when this older kid tried to break in and on the third attempt he got in and got shot. Hope the 11 year old can learn to live with it. Sure would like to see stories like this get more press, might make some of the dirt bags think twice. Alas, the current stance of the media won't allow that.

2. GLOCK23LOVER

GLOCK23LOVER New Member

Wonderful ending! Guess the anti-gunners will make a fuss about how guns kill and not mention the bums breaking in who would've probably killed the 2 kids.

3. Seargent_York

Seargent_York New Member

11 year old left at home with access to a gun. 99 times out of 100 this works out in a VERY tragic scenario (ie: accidentally shooting little sister or self), parents are complete idiots IMO who ended up getting very lucky

11 year olds do not come close to possessing the judgment needed to be responsible for a firearm without adult supervision. Same kid could have shot a cop or a persistent Amway salesman.....

4. JayCody

JayCody New Member

While I agree with this 100%. I wonder what would have happened if he wasn't able to access a firearm?

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

i pretty much disagree with your sumation. every kid i knew of growing up had access to dad's deer rifle. at best guns were hung on a wall. never heard of any kid in my community hurting themselves or another by accident. no one mysteriously isappeared from school from being in a home with guns leaning against a wall in a closet.

the difference is a parent taking time to teach a child about firearms at an early age. one of my earliest memmories was my dad teaching me gun safety at a deer lease. was prolly 5 or 6 at the time.

what we have are a few oversensationalized cases of irresponsible parents leaving guns around untrained children which are then extrapolated to 99% out 100% being killed by guns...

this case on its face sounds like the norm to me. a trained child using a firearm for defense

6. Seargent_York

Seargent_York New Member

these aren't farm kids Jon, this is in St. Louis. I respect your opinions on most things but could not disagree with you more on this one.

The article did not mention a thing about this kid being trained. He didn't use a deer rifle or a shotgun, it was a handgun. There is a 100% chance this kid never attended a firearms safety or training class. What the kid SHOULD HAVE BEEN TAUGHT was to call 911!

Last comment: Mom worried about break-ins, leaves 11 and 4 year old at home. WTF kind of Mom is that?

I love me my guns, but I sure as heck don't think everyone should be armed and quite frankly, wish less were.

The outcome was a good one but it was against the odds.

7. Seargent_York

Seargent_York New Member

we'll never know. but someone would be asking the mom why she left those kids alone in a situation like that

8. TDS92A

TDS92A New Member Supporter

I have noticed that folks on this thread are reacting to this things that may or may not have happened. The facts as we have been told are: 2 suspects, one a 16 year old goblin attempted twice to break into a house and on the third time succeeded and for their efforts the 16 year old is not talking thing over with St. Peter. Fact as we have been told is that the mom bought the gun because of previous break-in attempts. What we do not know is; did mom attempt to teach the 11 year old anything about the gun. I for one taught my children at that age, if not younger about firearms. We can assume that she told the 11 year old where the weapon was based on what we are told by the press. Another thing that we do not know is why the two kids were home at that time of day alone. All that being said, I do not fault the 11 year old for dropping the goblin. It seems to me that he did what his mom told him to do. I pray that he is able to deal with this and that he gets the mental help that he may need to help him with it. I do not fault the mom for leaving the kids because I do not know why she felt it necessary to leave them. In the end, hopefully the second goblin will learn from this and make a change in his life for a better path and friends to follow.

9. Seargent_York

Seargent_York New Member

I don't fault the 11 year old one bit either. Everyone wants to cut the mom some slack because this turned out OK. Many more kids kill by accident the wrong person. Usually self or buddy/sibling (who is also playing with gun), this happens exponentially more than a kid successfully defending himself with a firearm. Like I said......she got away with one!

In my state if you don't secure your firearms around folks under 18, you are breaking the law.

State Laws Prohibiting Intentional, Knowing or Reckless Provision of Firearms to Minors

Colorado
    Delaware
    Georgia
    Indiana
    Kentucky
    Mississippi
    Missouri
    Nevada
    Oklahoma
    Tennessee
    Utah
    Virginia
    Wisconsin
    a. All firearms: Indiana, Missouri, Nevada,43 Oklahoma, and Utah44 laws apply to all firearms.

10. gunman41mag

gunman41mag Active Member

My :puk: The mom shouldn't have left the two kids home alone (one was only 4 years old) I don't care if she was going to wash the clothes, buy food, go to work, or even picking up a welfare check.

11. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

So I suppose we'd all be better off if the 16 yo had killed the two smaller kids and we all just tried to understand that he was was a poor underprivileged victim of social oppression so it wasn't really his fault???

I had training and access to handguns at that age was was told to shoot to kill.

12. Seargent_York

Seargent_York New Member

READ COMMENTS, NO ONE SAID WE WOULD BE BETTER OFF

key point: YOU HAD TRAINING. NOT JUST ACCESS!

let's not misconstrue my comments into anti-gun, or pro-scumbag or any of that nonsense. we are talking about gun safety and children and laws to that effect. like I said, I believe this woman got away with one. Also like I said, there are many more cases where this turns into tragedy than the rare kid self defense success story. Typically in any given year, 120-200 kids die because of unsupervised firearms use resulting in an accident. That's simply a fact whether you acknowledge it or not. When it comes to and 11 year olds and a 4 year olds home alone? Do I seriously have to explain this?????

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  13. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

The World has never been changed by "What If". Changes only take place in real time and endings good or bad. The 11 year old used a firearm to stop a felon with deadly force. That is what happened period. :shooting:

14. Seargent_York

Seargent_York New Member

so you would leave an 11 year old and 4 year old at home with access to a loaded firearm, and with no firearms safety training?

simple yes or no works

15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I would not consider this a "wonderful ending". A wonderful ending would be a 16 year old who did NOT resort to a short life of crime and an 11 year old who would NOT have to deal with the taking of a life.

It is certainly a "better ending" than the two children in the house having never to know the hard lessons of life at such a young age.

16. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

I did not say it was "Sanitized" or PC. What happened, happened it is now history and can not be changed. "What If", changes nothing, it was a successful conclusion to a felonious assault. :)

17. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

This looks a lot like one of those "everyone loses" situation.
    The 16 YO would-be home invader. Sure, he brought it on himself, but a life ending that young is still tragic.
    The 11 yo now has to deal with the psychological trauma resulting from having taken a life. Big, tough, well trained men struggle with this. I wish the child the best of luck.
    The 4 YO very likely witnessed this as well. I doubt she will process this really well either.
    The mother of the 11 YO will be grilled endlessly and depending how things shake out, it's entirely possible she will face some sort of punishment.

18. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

With training, and it depends on the kid. I know 11 year old that are more mature than many gun totin' adults.

19. MetalWolf

MetalWolf New Member

I cant fathom taking a persons life not even at my age and I do not know how or if I could cope with such an a life changing event. I suspect the 11 year old was thinking only of his 4 yr. old sister at the time and may have made the choice to use deadly force and there is now one less thug steeling someone's hard earned possession's but my concerns would be for the young boy who took a life as there will be some long term issues dealing with what he did and hope that when these issues of coping with it arise that there is someone to council him along the way