11-87 sholder pad removal

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by hardbark, Mar 19, 2012.

1. hardbark

hardbark New Member

Ok, this is my first post so I'll make it short. Bought a used 11-87 12ga premier for $500 and noticed that the shoulder stock is loose so I want to tighten it up but the rubber pad is not showing any holes for me to remove it so I can tighten the screw that holds the stock to the reciever.
    Does any one know what distance I should measure down to the first screw and then maybe the other screw so I can make a slit in the rubber for access? Hate to take it to a gunsmith just for that.

Thanks

2. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

With the muzzle on the rug, take both thumbs and try to peel the recoil pad apart down the middle. Start about an inch and a half from the top of the butt. Put some dishwashing soap and water, just a little, on the Phillips screwdriver so it doesn't tear the recoil pad.

3. fireguy

fireguy New Member

There are screws there. Do as hardback suggested and you will find them.

4. hardbark

hardbark New Member

Peel it back? Can't I just make a small 1/4" slit and then insert the screw driver? Hate to ruin a perfectly good pad?

5. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

no look for slits or small holes(dmn i dont think i said that)there is a way to get a screwdriver to them

6. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

The recoil pad has slits in it, you just have to find them.

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Like that. You're not actually trying to rip the pad apart you're trying to open where it has already been slit over the holes.