10mm Reloading Problem

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Brad_CCW, Dec 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

I'm fairly new to reloading but my 45 and 40 reloads are working great so far. I'm loading my 10mm pretty hot, cause that's the point of a 10mm, but they aren't as hot as the factory ammo from Underwood. I'm putting 9 grains of IMR 700x with 165 grain bullets.

Anyway, when I shoot them the end of the brass separates right around the base of the bullet. So I wind up with a little ring of brass at the end of the chamber that comes out easily with a cleaning brush. I reloaded some nickle plated casings and they aren't doing this. Most of the brass is from Underwood. I think the nickle plated are Remington. Someone suggested my bullets may be seated too deep but the OAL is just a hair under the length of the Underwood ammo. The powder is quite full in the casing so I'm wondering if a couple grains are getting between the bullet and the casing. Any ideas?

2. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

What brand of bullet are you using? Using your calipers, what is the measurement of bullet diameter? What firearm are you firing your reloads from? What is your COAL?

3. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

I finally dug up some 700-X load data for 10mm. Looks like I'm loading significantly hotter than recommended. I have shot some loads around 9.0 grains that didn't seperate though. I'm using an all steel EAA with a fully supported chamber. They state 6.4 grains as the max load. I guess I can try 8.0 gr.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If they say 6.4 is max then it is MAX. Loading 8 (or even 9) grains is ill advised, some would say just plain stupid. The EAA Witness has a reputation for cracking frames in 10mm. Probably from people shooting overloaded ammo.

5. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Brad, did you even work up to that hot of load, or was that the starting grains to begin with?

6. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

Very well could be. I'm away from my books so I can't browse through them. How did you get your data to load 9gr of 700x? You need some books man!

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

In looking at the IMR published data they do not list 165 gr bullets and they do not list any loads for 700X. I would try a different powder and stick to the recommended loads

8. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

Ok, maybe I need some more tools. Just ordered a caliper. I'm not trimming the casings. And my bullet is supposed to be .400 obviously but I haven't used a caliper. The bullets shoot great in my .40 and I've shot some out of the 10mm before. Brand is FMP from Cabelas. Firing from an EAA Witness Stock.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  9. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

refer to post number 5

10. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

I'm bustin your balls! You can't just wheely neely throw power into a case, smash a bullet in it and have sh!t go right.:mad:

You need some reloading manuals and you need to read them! Now, stop ef'n around and reload the correct way. You might just save all of your phalanges!

11. AR10

AR10 New Member

I would suggest a higher degree of caution. Kabooms eat fingers or worse.

12. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Wiley Coyote moment. Lol In Germany you have to be licensed to reload. You go through an extensive class. There is a hard test. Still, better then kaboomy!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  13. AR10

AR10 New Member

I do not allow reloads on my range. Too much uncertainty. Too much risk. My insurance rates would also be higher with reloads.

It is not so much that reloading can't be safe, because it can. The problem is, it can also be dangerous. All depends on the person reloading. That is the great unknown.

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

personally i think you are playing a very dangerous game. you need some real reloading data books with proven recipes for loads. if the max load with that powder is 6.4 gr. and you are using 9.0 gr. you are lucky that it hasn't blown up yet.

you start at the lowest powder charge and work your way up. going to different weight bullets, requires a different powder charge.

15. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Brad, please refer to post number 5. :D

We only sound like we are getting on your case because we care about you.

Your mother may have said you could go blind at one time, and yes, so could even go blind doing that.

16. AR10

AR10 New Member

One man's threshold is another man's adventure. Lol

Field strip your barrel and carefully in Good light, look for cracks, bulges. Put the barrel in the slide backwards and see if some point in the barrel is swollen just a tad bit, as you move it into the slide. About bet two bucks, you are pushing for a new barrel.

17. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

I started with about 5 gr. The loads were very light compared to the Underwood ammo I've used. I gradually got to where the casing was almost full and the recoil was still slightly less than the Underwood when shot back to back. My buddy loaded these with his Lee press and they shot great. I'm using a Hornady press. I upgraded my recoil spring to 24# and Underwood recommends the EAA for their ammo. I'm using their brass.

As stated I did find some data from IMR that states 6.4 gr for 150 grain bullet at 34,300 psi.

18. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

BRADLEEEEY! As Anna stated, we all care about your safety AND the safety of others. A press, your eyeballs, and a #24 recoil spring will not guarantee any type of safety. Please, get some books and enjoy.:)

19. Axxe55

in my current Speer reloading manual i came up with a load using the 700X powder for the 40 S&W with a 180 gr. jacketed bullet. start powder charge is 5.0 grs. and the max is 5.5 grs. i can't find any load data for the 10mm using the 700X powder in my books.

this directly from the IMR website on loads for the 10mm Auto and it doesn't show one load using the 700X powder.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

20. Axxe55

and what powder is Underwood using for their ammo?

lots of time those ammo companies have powders made for them specifically. without know the powder they used and the charge weight, you are doing nothing more than guessing. guessing at making up loads is very dangerous and a very good way of getting hurt or killed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.