10mm Questions?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by ColtLover, May 25, 2007.

1. ColtLover

ColtLover New Member

I've been wondering what the advantages of 10mm rounds are specifically. I haven't seen very many 10mm handguns, just a few here and there, so I gather that they're obviously not as popular as the other more common calibers. Many sources refer to the 10mm as a "Hunting Round", but I've also heard the phrase "When in doubt, get the 20 out" (referring to the Glock 20 10mm as a self-defense carry weapon), so I'm a little confused as to the intended application for this particular caliber.

So...

What is the intended application for this caliber (ex. Hunting, HD/SD, Carry, Zombie Invasions)?

Under what circumstances would you prefer to have a 10mm over any other caliber?

What makes them unique?

How does the bore size compare to .357 .40 .45 .50 (smaller/larger)?

What's the difference between a 9mm and a 10mm? Just 1mm larger? Or is there more to it than that?

What is stopping the 10mm handguns from being as popular as other calibers (if anything)?

Would a 10mm handgun be a worthwhile investment for a recreational shooter, or is it not really worth it unless you actually had a REAL purpose or need for it?

2. Splatter

Splatter New Member

Jeff Cooper envisioned the round as an allround near-perfect 'social' handgun round. Having the velocity of the .357 and the frontal area of the .45ACP. As well, he was enamoured with the ergonomics of the CZ75 pistol, thus began the BREN10 (may it rest in peace), a great concept, spotty execution.

When I need a powerful and reasonably controlable semi-auto.

It is a .40. The .40 S&W is just a shortened 10mm

9mm and 10mm what? Bullets, yup, just bigger and sometimes longer, which means heavier.

In a word, recoil. The old standard load was hard on shooters and pistols, the new standard load, is less so, and the FBI spec 10mm loads are just .40S&W loads in longer cases

3. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

10mm

The 10mm resulted from the Bren-10 and the FBI famous Miami Shoot-out after action investigative report.

The full house 10mm delivered a 180 grain bullet at 1200 to 1400 fps.
    The S&W proved to me to big and heavy for FBI agents and female agents purses so the bulley diameter was maintained, velocity reduced = 40S&W
    known to 10mm afectionados as 40 Short & Worthless.

10mm in the 1911 format, Colt Delta Elite or now Kimber, has proven to be a man-stopper as well as a good hunring bullet. Most American manufacturers have down loaded it from original Norma specs except for Pro Load who made the first US produced 10mm ammo.

It is usually too much for other that a well trained shootist to use, due to recoil and blast signature when fired. It was designed to replicate a .41 magnum in an auto-loading pistol.

4. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Hmmmm, Interesting.:D

5. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

Verrrry, verrrry interesting!

6. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Splatter and Dgunsmith nailed it.

Look up some Ted Nugent articles for good info on hunting with 10mm. Ted has over 30 10mm handguns and loves the caliber.

7. Shihan

I may have to get a 10mm and leave the 357sig behind. To bad the Sigma doesn't come in 10mm.:eek:

8. freefall

freefall New Member

My daughter, the Lovely Miss Freefall has a 10mm Colt. It's a delightful piece, I would much prefer it to a .357 Sig. I'm sorely tempted by a !0mm Kimber for sale right now on Alaskaslist, but I own several 1911 .45s and 2 .44 mags, and I'm having trouble justifying the in-betweener in my mind.

9. Shihan

Do they shoot the full loads or the wimpy rounds? That didn't sound right.:eek:

10. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

I've got a 10 m.m. that also shoots Hornady 200 gr XTP .40 cal:D

11. freefall

freefall New Member

Shoots .40 cal out of the 10mm barrel? Sounds like its seating on the bullet instead of the case mouth. Sounds like bad juju to me.

12. Tidalforce79

Tidalforce79 New Member

My dad had a Colt Delta Elite, which is now owned by my brother. I have to say, it is the finest hand gun I've ever shot. I started shooting it when I was 10 years old(ironic), and my dad had loaded the rounds as hot as possible for the gun. It kicked alot, but I still loved it. The gun is extremely reliable. The only time the gun jammed was when my dad used cheap reloads, and even then, it jammed once in 200 rounds. It's also accurate. When both of us were better shots, we were consistently hitting a metal target about the size of a dinner plate at 50 yards, open sights.

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

10mm is .40 cal.

14. freefall

freefall New Member

I assumed he was talking about .40 S&W factory fodder.

15. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Another resurrected thread, a 3 year old one. Original date 05-25-2007, 04:13 PM, seriously! I guess it was not interesting at the time. [​IMG]

16. jpattersonnh

Not really, it just happened. The 10mm was found to have over penetration for practical use. This was the test bed for the Secret Service and FBI.
    AO 1911a1 10mm. [​IMG]

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

And I assumed he was reloading.

18. Shihan

If this wasn't resurrected, I would not have gotten to see that beautiful Pistol.

There weren't as many members online 3 years ago. Sometimes good can come from the old.

19. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

You assumed correctly, sir.:)

20. jpattersonnh

I was here back then, but was more subdued in posting. There is so much bad info, such as .40cal bullet in a 10mm! Wrong?????? Naa!