10mm for animals

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Tom86, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Tom86

Tom86 New Member

I bought a Glock 20 to use as an outdoor gun when camping, hiking, and kayaking. I live in South Carolina and the hardest to kill animal around hear is probably wild boar. We also have some pretty large alligators around. Any suggestions on ammo to carry? I was leaning towards Hornady 180 gr JHP, but I'm not sure about sufficient penetration. What 10mm loads do people hunt with?

2. smoooth308

smoooth308 New Member

I don't own a 10mm but from what I've read alot of the guys reload the 10mm to a hotter round that works better for hunting. I did hear someone naming a brand that has some pretty good off the shelf rounds. Can't recall what it is at the moment. I'll try and find it.

Should also check out glock talk forums. They have a whole section on the 10mm glock and what they have been using for hunting, reloading etc...

3. Tom86

Tom86 New Member

Great. Thanks.

4. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

all i can say is im jealous i will be buying a g20 at the end of the year i wish i could get it now but promised the wife i would wait.

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Is it legal to kill alligators there?

6. Tom86

Tom86 New Member

If you have a tag, sure. But I'm thinking what if's. Not planning on hunting with it. Strictly protection in the outdoors

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Understand-Just was wondering-
    We have a season over here now- never hunted them- Don't want to get that close to one :p

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Look up 10mm ammo on Utube. There are some good videos that will give you an idea of what to use.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n1waGa4sLM[/ame]

9. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

For a 10mm woods gun, your best bets will be some of the big-boy loads from Doubletap or Buffalo Bore. I believe the heaviest hitting mainstream manufacturered JHP is the Winchester Silvertip. But you may want some heavier hard-cast FMJs for 4-legged critters of significant stature...in which case I'd probably lean toward Buffalo Bore.

Most of the mainstream 10mm loads are overpriced 40sw, and nothing more.