10mm choices

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by ScottA, Apr 9, 2014.

1. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I'm curious to know what folks would recommend for a 10mm suitable for very high pressure rounds (think Buffalo Bore's hottest loads). Glocks need not apply.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

You had me worried there for a second.

There are some 10mm's on the 1911 platform.
    Colt's Delta Elite may handle it with stiffer springs, but the DE I had took too much peening in the firing pin block area on the slide.
    Fusion Firearms 10mm (with the 6 in barrel) could be the best one.
    Then the CZ-75 platform from EAA could do it too.

3. orangello

orangello New Member

4. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I would approach the "CZ like" (they are derivative, but no parts interchange) Witness pistols with caution, as they had a history of slide cracking, particularly with the 10 mm (Google it.) Especially when accounting for your stated plan of top of the pressure range ammo. I really like my Witness Elite Match (.45), but in the cold light of day, one must acknowledge that they might not be ideal for this use. Mine has been fed mostly mid range cast reloads, so nothing to report where cracks are concerned.
    Additionally, EAA has earned a reputation for less than splendid customer service. To be fair, however, I've not had any dealings with them myself.

FWIW, you might want to also have a look at the Dan Wesson RZ-10
    Edit:
    This one is pretty cool as well. http://www.stiguns.com/nitro-10/

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I thought that CZ-USA dropped the 10mm.

If I may suggest that you do not go with the C-BOB (or similar short barreled 1911) if you are using hot loads. With the factory standard issue loads, it is great (yeah, I've got one).

6. Overkill0084

Apparently they did at one point. However, from the blurb:
    There is apparently the DW Titan as well, but it's a whole order of magnitude higher on the price scale. Pretty much a custom piece in price, and very likely production quantities.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  7. JW357

JW357 New Member

That. Is. Awesome.

Reasonable price, currently, too.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

It reminds me of their Talo edition.

Smith and Wesson had a revolver in 10mm as well that is very pretty. They seem a bit pricier.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

I'm holding out for a xdm in 10mm...

I've got a 460 rowland conversion for the 1911. Its pretty brutal. 10mm is in the same power range in the loadings your talking about. Its borderline painful to shoot even with double hearing and gloves.

Anyway when you step into that range of power there aren't a lot of semi auto built well enough to handle. Buffalo bore in a routine situation. When your shooting max or above that you need to be extra cautious with parts wear and spring wear.

Semi auto really don't do well in those pressure ranges. Pushing 135+grain bullets past 1300fps is really revolver and desert eagle territory.

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

STI Perfect 10 with higher spring rate would be the sh*@. My G-20 C can handle anythnig I throw at it, but you are not looking in that directon.

11. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Man would I ever jump in line if Springfield offered an XDm 5.25" in 10mm or even 357sig. Don't know that I actually need such a gun, but I'd like to have one just the same.

12. Overkill0084

Springfield doesn't offer it, but .357 Sig is doable: http://www.barsto.com/category_main.cfm?ID=XD

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  13. Olympus

Olympus New Member

You can still find the occasional used Dan Wesson in 10mm. They are amazing guns. I have 2.

Colt Delta Elite is also an option, but the sights suck.

Kimber also makes several 10mm models.

Then there is always the S&W autos like the 1006. Funky looking and not very popular, but they are solid guns.

14. Mongo

Mongo Active Member Supporter

Ted Nugent has 10 mm semi auto manufactured in Texas. I can't remember the brand name but maybe someone here knows more about it.
    I also have a Dan Wesson 10mm Match. An excellent accurate pistol. I have been satisfied shooting factory ammo.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  15. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Likely an STI. STI is located in Georgetown, TX.

16. JCS53

JCS53 That looks like it hurt Lifetime Supporter

Kimber makes the Eclipse custom II in 10 mm

17. jsr5

jsr5 New Member

I like my full size witness 10mm hadn't heard of the reports of slide cracking before today mine shows no signs of battering or cracking at this point and it has fired over 1000 handloads and buffalo bore loads of 180 grain at or above 1300 fps. I bought a heavier spring for it when I first got it but found it didn't run right with the heavy spring and it shows no issues with the stock spring. Not that there may have been issues with others just sayin mine is doing fine. may not have if I had been able to continue to compete as I was just getting going with the 10 when my back put me out of the game so it barely got warmed up before it got put away probably for good as a competitor. Its still gets a lil play time around hunting seasons and winter time CCW. If I had gotten 5000 plus rounds through it I may have had problems as described but at a guestimated 1500 or less its just fine.

18. Overkill0084

How old is yours? If you google "EAA Witness 10 mm Slide Cracking," you will come upon a number of different things. One of which is a report in another forum that there have been changes to the slide design in the last year or so. I'm not really up to speed on the latest mods by Tanfoglio.
    I maintain that the OEM 14 lb spring is entirely too weak for 10 mm use. YMMV. I run a 16 with .45 with no issues. An 18 worked OK, but it was very likely overdoing things since my ammo is fairly tame.
    There is always option B, as in buffer:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/395233/buffer-technologies-recoil-buffer-cz-75-85-polyurethane

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  19. jsr5

jsr5 New Member

mine is 8 or 9 years old I think my memory doesn't serve me as well as it once did. Got to be at least 5 years old though.

20. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member