1000 yard shooter

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by CourtJester, Aug 28, 2012.

1. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

Been saving a little at a time and finally got to where I can get something I want.

I'm looking for something that'll reach out 1000+ yards without dropping $8000.
    I've got a 22 that'll hold a 2" pattern at 200 yards if there is ZERO wind, same with a 223 at 300 yards, and a 308 that;ll hit a paper plate with a few inches to spare pretty consistently at 400 yards. I've yet to have anything that is able to reach out and hold a pattern like that at 1000 yards.

I'm looking at grabbing one of these in a month or two.

Savage 338 Lapua
    [​IMG]

So for those of you that have a bit more experience than myself with something that is capable of 1000+ yards; Yes or no on the
    Savage 338 Lapua???

If no; Then what in place if it???

PS. Please no idiots relentlessly pushing an $8000 50 caliber rifle that you don't own because the military channel showed a guy shooting one and it looked kewl.

Thanks all....

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Jester,

The 338 Lapua is an excellent round for the purpose. Also a 300 Win Mag in a long range gun is also adequate. But I have shot the 338 Lapua on many occasions and really like the round! Looks like an excellent choice to me!

3. g23shooter

g23shooter New Member

I have done some distance shooting not 1000 yds. However back in the day at Camp Perry .308 was and will get the job done easily with a good scope, solid action and bedding in a 24 inch barrel for probably under $2500 and there is absolutely no limit to the abundance of high quality ammo. In punching paper this is more than adequate. With that being said a .338 is one of few beyond 1000 yd weapons but the Ammo is crazy expensive, shooting the cheaper .308 will give you the range time for proficiency and advancing your skill set for long distance shooting.

The Savage I beIive to be an excellent weapon and a good choice should you stay with your .338

4. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

Like I said, I don't have the experience with real long range shooting but I don't see a 308 packing a solid punch at 1000+ yards. I'd think after 500 or so yards, wind would start to really pay a toll of trajectory and at 1000 yards it wouldn't punch through much if needed. Not calling ya wrong by any means, just going by what I've seen from my own shots. I'm open to explanation and a little learning though.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have to agree with your choice of rifle and caliber for this endeavor. my suggestion is to reload to keep ammo costs down so you can shoot more and get more accurate. another suggestion, is don't cheap out on the scope. get quality optics. you can't hit what you can't see. good luck and have fun!

6. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

I have shot that rifle and it is an excellent rifle. Would like to have one myself, but can't justify the cost given all that I already have. The cost of ammo is outrageous. I see retail prices in excess of $115 a box. I could not afford to shoot it without loading my own.

Jim...

7. g23shooter

g23shooter New Member

I would agree totally with you if the end game is that this is to be used on bad guys. The .338 is a good way to go. The .308 I would say is solid out to 700 yds on a humanoid target with bullet placement in upper torso with disruption of CNS key for quick end. I will also concede that the .338 is going to be less susceptible to wind because of the velocity and weight of the bullet, however it will still be a large factor on long shots and will have to be taken into account on all shots at that distance. I am sure you will be happy with your current selection.

8. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

ArmaLite makes an AR30 for around $1800-$1900. It's basically a scaled down version of the AR50. It is avail in .338 IIRC.

9. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

If I was looking into precision long distance I would be looking into a bolt gun hands down.
    The. 338 savage BA110 is on my want list also . I think you could be pretty accurate with your
    . 308 with some good glass with lots and lots of practice . Lots of guys still use .308 for those LD shoots .

10. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

There are many calibers that will shoot 1000 yards accurately,and not have the cost associated with the 338 Lapua.
    The 6.5x284 is a great choice,also 6.5 creedmoor,7mm Mag/Ultra mag,308,the ole faithful-30/06,any of the 300 Mag varieties.

If I was going to build a 1000 yard dedicated rifle today,it would be the 6.5x284.

11. Cheeseman

Cheeseman New Member

Why screw around? .50BMG

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

you obviously didn't read the OP did you?:rolleyes: he didn't want a 50 BMG.

13. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

He didn't want the $8000 bmg, I see a few under $3000.
    50BMG current prices

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

The .308 will reach 1000, but it's a moonshot to get it there and you need more than good optics, you need at least 20MOA rail to give you the play to dial in at that distance.

I have shot the .338 Lapua at about 850-900 yards and it's a beast. I don't mind it, but I would not want to shoot it all day, I am man enough to say. That thing flat gets your attention when you touch it off. :eek:

Ammo is ridiculous for the Lapua. First off you have the brand name brass and then you have the specialized accurate loads off the shelf. I would not be surprised at all with Jim's price of $115/box. That is just crazy talk for a day of shooting anything BUT bad guys in the worst possible case.

Txhillbilly was reading my mind again. There are a lot of other cartridges out there that will not only reach 1,000 but do it effectively and with purpose upon impact.

6.5 x 284 if the golden child of the benchrest mad scientist brain trust and it's a great round for shooting matches at 1,000. I honestly don't know what kind of impact it hits with because I haven't really studied it. As for accurate, barrel life and ease of shooting, all would rate very good bordering on great. You will most likely have to reload to make effective use of it though, so unless you are set up already, that will add to your overall cost.

I have a 7mm Mag that I had custom built and it came in under $5000 all said and done with glass and a Pelican case. The chamber was cut for Federal Match specs, so I can shoot right off the shelf as reloading isn't something I would consider myself good at yet. :eek: I built this gun heavy so it isn't punishing to shoot. I wouldn't want to hump it for a 60 mile stretch, but once I lay down it's quite nice to pull the trigger and not be kicked too hard.

.300 Win Mag is another viable option. Flat shooting, hard hitting and a ton of options. Ammo is a bit pricey for this one too, but not nearly as bad.

.30-06 is often overlooked, but it really is the rifleman's cartridge. It can be loaded up or down in bullet weight depending on the intended target density, the ammo is everywhere, and it's a nice, polite round to shoot. It will reach 1,000 and I believe it will still have the oomph to do some damage when it gets there. (Carlos Hathcock shot the .30-06 almost for his entire career and was quite effective on "hamburgers and hotdogs" as he referred to them).

As to the weapon in question. Savage is one of those you love it or you don't brands. Loyal following, pretty solid rep. I haven't seen this particular model so I am afraid I don't have much to offer for you there.

Good luck and keep us informed on what you decide.

15. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

16. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

You are kidding right ? I have had nothing but good luck with my savages and their accuracy. We all know everyone kicks out a dud every once in a while maybe you got lucky and got one :(

17. tacticalfun

Ive seen 3 so far that are 2 moa ...plus read this http://www.snipercentral.com/sav110ba.phtml

18. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Hmm thats a interesting read. Even shooting just under 1 MOA @ 100 it still stayed under 1MOA @ 400 yards . Very weird as that usually doesnt happen .
    Also sounds like the BA110 in 300 win mag would be a better accuracy choice than the .338 after doing some reading . Not to mention it would be alot cheaper to shoot than the .338 and easier to find. not every dealer around here has .338 on the shelf and when you ask their like " well I can get it but Im going to need it paid for before I order it " Sorry but when I come in the door looking for ammo I dont want to wait on it. I have plans to use it in the next couple days :D Nothing wrong with the Remmy 700's they are very nice rifles and another one I I have on my want list in 7mm

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  19. tacticalfun

Also try the armalite m30

20. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

hows the accuracy compare to the model 700 ? nice looking rifle but nice looking doesnt get you accuracy :D