$1000 to spend. How do you spend it?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by 12fretter, Oct 13, 2011.

1. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

This is a discussion on how you would budget money for each of your SHTF "commodities".

I'm concerned with:

Junk Silver
    Food Storage
    Water
    Guns and Ammo

If this is your list, and you had $1000 to spend at any given time, how would you budget for each item? 25% to each? More to one over another? Pretend that you're starting from nothing. What would your goal be? Would you want 1 year of food and water? 1000 rounds for each caliber you own? What about calibers you don't own? Would you want to stock them anyway, as barter goods?

What are your goals?

2. MrMosin

MrMosin New Member

If i had to start from scratch, i would probably start out with a Mosin Nagant and a couple 440 round spam cans of FMJ, and a few boxes of soft point hunting ammo. Next would be good gun cleaning supplies. Then some sort of frame pack and fill it with a decent amount of canned/dehydrated food, enough for a few days, water purification tablets, cutting tool, paracord, and other odds and ends. A good canteen would also come in handy.

3. erikthebald

erikthebald New Member

At this point

I'm working on my years stockpile of food and water, so that's where I's focus the lion's share.

I've got just about enough fire arms (there are two more on my short list but nothing I couldn't live without) to hold off the Zombie hordes and a smidgen over 8000 rounds so I'm good there.

Now, if that $1000 came into my possession on my way to the Tanner gun show the day after tomorrow, it might not survive the trip.

But I'm only human.

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Ruger 10/22(could be used one) and 1000+ rounds of ammo and extra clip say $300
    water filters - bag style at cheaper than dirt $50 and a backpacker style (several choices) say about $100
    3 of the 5 gallon buckets of 275 servings of food at $100 each= $300
    Cans of food with a lot of meat products as the bucket packs have no meat and little protein ( spam,tuna,chunky soup,stew,etc) $200
    hand can openers, matches, lighters, first aid kit, blankets, tarp, paper products, etc
    I think we used up your $1000

5. Caoimhin

Caoimhin New Member

Water filter system like a Berkey, personal care products, junk silver and ammo. The rest is covered.

6. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

M1 Garand... :p

7. bkt

bkt New Member

Planning for a SHTF scenario isn't smart for a number of reasons, among them if nothing bad ever happens many people end up selling what they bought, they feel stupid, and they're LESS likely to get into prepping, and also because it doesn't work too well to get a person into a mindset of living a little differently day-to-day in ways that will keep them comfortable in a SHTF situation but which will also save them money and let them eat better if nothing ever goes wrong at all.

If you're on a firearms forum, chances are good you have at least one firearm. Keep a minimum of 1000 rounds on hand for each caliber or gauge you have. Defense and hunting are important but not as important as having supplies on hand.

If you have not started prepping at all, get a store of water and food together before you do much else. I found a great resource in a local LDS Cannery facility that sells a bunch of good food in professionally sealed cans that will last upward of 30 years AND it's cheap. Search this forum for LDS Cannery and you'll find links to it - maybe there's one near you.

But also start learning now how to put together to have a pretty big veggie garden and maybe plant fruit trees next year. Learn to hunt if you don't already do it, and learn to fish.

If you're dependent on prescription meds, read up on what you take to see if they can be stored past their designated shelf life. Many can be safely stored with no decrease in effectiveness, others can be dangerous if used after a certain time. If your situation can be improved by a change in lifestyle (eg: you're the sort of diabetic who could benefit from eating well and exercising, do it!) or if there are medicinal plants that would benefit you that will grow in your region, plan to get them in the ground next spring.

When prepping, always look for opportunities to prep. If you need a new pair of hiking boots or shoes and you find a great sale, buy two or more pairs instead of just one pair. That way, you know you will be set for a while. When you find a sale that's good enough to convince you to buy one piece of clothing, buy more than one. Same goes with anything - toothpaste, toilet paper, light bulbs...whatever. When you go to the grocery store for some items, buy at least twice the amount you need of stuff that has a long shelf life (boxed and canned goods) and store what you don't need right away.

Power and water purification can be big issues. If you have a natural water source nearby, buy a means to purify water. I have a Big Berkey and recommend it very highly. Get a generator if you don't already have one. If you can install a transfer switch in your home, so much the better. Keep as much fuel as you can safely store on hand and be sure to rotate it out every six months or a year (fuel your vehicle with it).

Many people are rightly concerned about economic turmoil. Storing physical gold and silver at your home in a safe is a store of wealth that won't crap out like stocks, bonds or even currency may. If you can do it, I recommend it. Junk silver is fine. Sovereign gold and silver is always good to keep, but generic bullion rounds and bars are also fine if they show weight and purity.

$1000 won't get you set for any bad situation that might come your way, but it will get you started. In order of priority, I'd suggest a water purification system, food and water storage (make sure you get food and water-grade containers with good seals like gamma lids if you're storing loose stuff like beans, rice or pasta), and get a store of necessary meds together.

The next time you have $1000 to spend, get your ammo stocked up and maybe more firearms to fill in any gaps you might have. Buy clothing and other consumable supplies and store them away.

And the next time you have $1000 burning a hole in your pocket, build up a store of wealth. I recommend silver bullion because it's relatively cheap.

8. Jimmy

Jimmy New Member

Well said. I think that prepping is a life changing issue, at least for me it is. I have pretty much moved into a self sufficient mode. Not 100%, but working that way.

$1000 will go a ways toward getting you started. Food and water to start, as BKT said along with clothes and other "dry goods".

Work at it slowing and systematically. Staying the course. It will build faster than you think.

Jimmy

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

One fifth down payment on a 70 Series Colt Combat Commander rubbed on by Ted Yost. :p

10. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Well first off is firearms I just picked up a jewel of a rifle it's a Winchester 190 for 75$ and it's tube fed automatic already killed 3 squirrels with iron sights and about 3000 rounds for it a good cleaning kit for it a sling and some spare parts that's arous 250$-300$ ish so that leaves let's say 750$ ok well then that's for a good backpack framed preferably and ALICE framed throw the 22lr bricks in the pack keep about a hundred or so in your pocket and then spend the rest on a good survival knife, MRE's , water filters , matches gloves , and what evers left if any keep for trade
    PS. add a trap and a sleeping bag

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  11. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

First, BKT, I'm a little confused. You said it's not smart to prepare for a SHTF scenario, but then you list a bunch of great suggestions. What am I reading wrong? Or are you saying that prepping should be a way of life, not just for the SHTF scenario, but every day life in general?

Second, thanks for all the responses. I know I was a bit vague at first but let me clarify a couple things.

Yes, I have some firearms. A Thunder 380, a 1911 45, a 10/22 and a 7.65x54 rifle that kills my shoulder after about 6 shots. I have 1000 rounds for each pistol, a couple thousand .22lr's, and about 500 for the bad boy. I am also taking delivery on a .22 magnum rifle from a friend who owes me and is paying me back with a never used rifle.

I have also started food storage and probably have about 4-6 months worth. Water, not as much because it's so hard to store, but I do have a pressure cooker and some copper line and am planning on fashioning up a distiller.

I have some junk silver. I don't want to mention how much, but it's not a lot for sure.

So, I'm on my way, and I have some money to spend right now. I didn't want to be too specific, but I was just wondering what everyones goals were. My idea was that, as far as firearms go, my next weapon might want to be a tactical shotgun. On the other hand, I do not have a good carry weapon, as the Thunder 380 has fallen into the hands of my wife. So I was thinking of a short .45.

However, the economy is not doing well, and there are a bunch of mindless morons trying to shut down the system all over the country, and indeed the world. Sooner or later, a big collapse is coming, I think. I would rather get stuck with junk silver than useless currency.

So now, with all the details, what do you think? I'm leaning toward metals, maybe even my first bit of gold. (OK, I have a bit more than $1000 right now.) I was thinking I am doing well on food, water and arms and ammo, but maybe a bit short on metals.

12. bkt

bkt New Member

What is your SHTF scenario? If you're waiting for a zombie apocalypse it may never come. It is far more likely that you or your spouse could lose a job or you could have an unexpected medical or other expense. Storms can knock out power, gas and water for a week or more. Having what you need on hand to live comfortably for at least a few months covers a lot of scenarios.

Many people flipped out over Y2K and bought water barrels, MREs and a bunch of other stuff. When nothing went wrong, you could get some amazing deals on ebay for prepper supplies. People figured "Meh. The worry has passed and I won't ever need this stuff." That was short-sighted.

Prepping also lets you eat better and at less cost - the food in my garden is superior to anything I can buy at the store and costs me almost nothing. Venison, fish, fowl and other critters are tasty, very inexpensive and are better for you than most meat you can buy at the store.

Canning your own food is cheap and easy too.

It's a lifestyle change that might sound nuts to some people early on but it makes sense and is surprisingly easy to do once you get into it.

Distilling is certainly one option, but it requires fuel and it takes a while to get pure water. A Berkey or other filtration system is quick. If you live near a freshwater source, get a filter or at least purification tablets or drops.

My goal is to keep my family comfortable in as many situations as we may come across and to save money where possible.

A shotgun is the most versatile firearm going. It's great for defense, and hunting large and small game. And they're relatively cheap.

I hear that! Having a store of wealth in precious metals is a hedge against exactly what you describe and it will come in handy once the economy gets back on its feet.

But being as self-sufficient as possible is just as important as having a store of wealth. Pay off as much debt as you can as quickly as you can. Learn useful skills - engine repair, electrical, plumbing - that kind of knowledge could be extremely useful during some bad event and it will save you money (or even help you to earn money) if nothing bad ever happens.

I have dealt with apmex.com before and they've been great. I got what I wanted for a good, fair price and it arrived quickly. Check around at local coin dealers and ask what they charge over spot. Before you buy, check the spot price of whatever metal you're planning on getting and compare the asking price with spot price. Most places charge a few bucks over spot per ounce of silver. Expect to pay a lot more over spot for a 1/10th ounce gold round than you would for a 1 ounce gold round.

Junk silver at apmex is actually more expensive than it should be. People go after it thinking it's the less expensive way to get silver. Someone posted another site (providentmetals.com I think it was) a few days ago where junk silver was a lot cheaper.

13. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

Actually, that was me. And I think you supported what I thought before I posted this. Thanks for all your great suggestions. I might just see what my pawn shops have today, in silver and arms. I find that they lag in changing their silver prices so coins may be had at older, lower prices...sometimes.

Thanks again.

14. Caoimhin

Caoimhin New Member

Watching the market yesterday and getting the overnight updates I am more convinced we are about to see something big in the world financial market this month. It always happens in October. That being said the more I think about silver and gold, the more convinced I am that it is about how much we pay for the PM and not how much we can sell it for. We have PM because we are preparing for the paper money to be worthless. So the saying will now be "Buy Low and Trade High". It's not how much paper you get for your PM's but ?? Could be tools, guns, Boots, food, bullets, medicine or anything you will value. It's no longer about how many dollars you have but how many dollars you convert to PM's, pennies, nickles and I am stocking quarters, A dollar may soon equal a penny but 4 quarters will still be a dollar.

15. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

Funny, I was just talking to my wife and telling her how paranoid I felt about what was coming, and when. I don't want to get stuck with worthless paper either. I think we decided that if we have the extra money right now, and it's not earmarked for anything in any way, we should convert it.

16. widowmaker

widowmaker New Member

If I was a young man with a family and had an extra $1000.00 to "invest" in preps. I would most definitely get the 12 gauge pump and plenty of ammo. I would also buy a couple of hundred dollars of so called junk silver.
    You seem to already have a handle on your firearms needs but seem a little behind in your water needs. By all means, but the best water filtration system you can afford.
    Food you can get but water is something you don't want to be without at any time.
    Im in agreement with Caoimhin as far as something happening soon.
    I'm about as prepared as I can get at this stage of life. I just spent a couple hundred today on durable foodstuffs. I wll pick up another water filter later this month and maybe some barter material too. (sugar, salt, wheat, whiskey.) NEVER trade guns or ammo.
    Well thats all I cansay about this for now.

17. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

Knowing is best, keep it all simple

Take that $1000 and learn somthing like a skill or keep the money and read a library book and learn to do somthing for yourself, learn to make foot wear, hats, weave baskets, dry meat, use natural medicinal herbs.
    Having all that stuff robbs you of mobility that you may not have time or ways to pack all that **** around when a minuet is all the forwarning you have (Earthquake/fire/flood)

Boil or filter your water so need to figure that out for local fuel (Electric/Propane/petro fuels/wood/coal), will it last? can you get more?, will flooding be a problem, how about cold temps?
    Sanitation for waste, Lime in seal'd 5 gallon buckets, outhouse? Cess pit? Female personal hygene items, stock pile soap or make your own? How you gonna wash?
    Shelf life of perscription meds (heart/ diabetic/ seizures/depression/ADD)

Buy SPAM & Beans, powderd milk & egg and bisquick, Krusteze pancake mix, laying in bags of wheat flower, corn meal and such beggs for meal bugs to infest your hoard, Pemmican?
    hard tack?
    Lay in a lot of selected garden seed, learn to dry food, jerk meat and dig root cellar like the plains indians, Corn, squash and beans, they harvested the wild rice in the slews along the Niobrara River useing Canoes, they'd paddle next to some rice pull over the tops over the center the canoe and wack it a few times with a willow switch to get the grain to collect on tarp coverd bottom.

having stuff to barter is one thing till you run out, But having skills sombody can use is even better, if your swept away and hang on and walk ashore with nothing but whats in your head and semi sound body.

All the silver and gold and shotguns in the world wont get you the meds you need to survive if you sitting up in branches of a tree wondering if the water is gonna rise more of drop in the next couple days.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  18. XR750

XR750 New Member

Rent utility's and food. My dream is not to be homeless till after Christmas.
    Joe-R

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

I second this.

20. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

Wow, that Berkey is a cool thing. Got mine on order today. That'll go a long ways.

I also have Mainstay Emergency Rations on order at the suggestion of a military friend of mine who has stocked up on them. Has anyone tried them? He says they're quite good and he could easily use them to survive.

I've also decided that the shotgun is probably the best thing I could do right now. So with that plus ammo, and the water filter, my $1000 is gone.

Oh, and by the way, I found 16oz soy candles for $4 per...bought a case.