100 yard Mosin Nagant shooting

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by chloeshooter, Nov 29, 2013.

1. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Took the newly refinished Mosin to the range today, open sights at 100 yards. Used windage adjustment tool (eBay, $17) and the last 8/10 speak for themselves. 148 grain non-corrosive FMJ

Needless to say, pleased. I have no plans to scope either of my Mosins'.

image-3947384752.jpg

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

3. hq357

hq357 New Member

Did you shoot with the bayonet on? What does this tool look like? I want one :D

4. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Try some winchester white box. I get submoa with that stuff open sights

6. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

is your tongue in your cheek there Jon?

7. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

8. hq357

hq357 New Member

winchester makes 762x54r? :D

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

10. SSGN_Doc

Well kind of. They import some made in Czech Republic. Or at least that was where my Winchester box said it was made.

They also had some white box .223/5.56 imported from Israel some time ago.

11. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have heard that Winchester ammo is Prvi Partisan in a Winchester box. I have tried Prvi Partisan 180 gr sp ammo. It is more accurate than Brown Bear ammo 203 gr sp. I need to shoot more than 20 rounds of Prvi Partisan before I am going to order a bunch of it.

12. SSGN_Doc

You might want to try Sellor&Bellot also. It is eithe Prvi or S&B that loads the Winchester. Apparently S&B has a match round that some Mosins like. Check out this video test of Commercial ammo options, done with a customized Mosin.

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FTxqST9G6Xc"]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FTxqST9G6Xc[/ame]

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

No.

I do a lot of open sight shooting its my favorite way of practice. Pretty much anyone can shoot moa at 100 with a scope. Do it with open sights is another animal. I'm limited by range facility to 300yards and shoot submoa with my rra ar15a2 match rifle most of the time.

My eyesight isn't the best and I have to concentrate hard wearing custom shooting glasses to get the same eyesight as a nonhandicapped shooter. My lenses are ground to focus looking down a rifle barrel to focus when my head is tilted so they make me crazy if I wear them when im not shooting or just waiting for a cease fire. Even so there are days when I just can't focus that far or on anything close up. Very frustrating. I dread the day I'm forced to give up rifles for pistols or risk laser surgery.

Mosins really are capable of phenomonal accuracy with quality ammo. Most folks think they suck for accuracy simply because they only experience crappy spam can 147grain machinegun ammo. Mosins like 180-220grain bullets.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

You can get Barnes, Hornady, and most other major manufacturers in

7.62X54R. You pay more, but if you find somebody like me at the range,

they will buy the full box of used boxer primed brass, to reload later.

Just pick up your used brass, and save it in the box it came in.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  15. Copeman60

Copeman60 New Member

Those are great groups for a mosin. Some of them groups are 1'' maybe smaller. Very impressive!!!

16. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I think my eyesight prevents me from doing sub-MOA open sights at 100 yards - with any rifle! But I do prefer open sight shooting, like yourself, and to me it is a real skill to develop and I would prefer to do so rather than spending thousands on a scope that I will invariably break at some point.

All I have used is non-corrosive stuff like Wolf (white box) and Bear, 148 grain. Since I don't ever shoot 100 rounds at a crack I am not afraid to spend a little more for a much better round than the milsurp stuff.

Attached Files:

17. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Have you tried progressive lenses? I told my optometrist that I enjoy shooting. When he wrote my prescription for my glasses he wrote it so I am looking through the transition part of the lens when I am looking at open sights. It works really well the rear sight is not blurry any more. My glasses also let me enjoy shooting pool again. Another FTF member mentioned doing the same thing with good results.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  18. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I am due for a new pair, I will check that out. Thanks!