Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Is a 10 mm the same as .40 caliber or is it just the same diameter? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
I've heard the 40 cal. called 10mm. Kurz.
I've heard the 10mm. called 40+P.

·
Registered
155 Posts
As has been mentioned, they are the same diameter and they are not interchangeable. The 10MM came first and the FBI deemed that it had too much recoil for women and smaller statured agents. They shortened the case and made the .40 S&W. Some people think S&W stands for "Smith and Wesson" but in this case it stands for "short and weak" since it is essentially a neutered 10MM.;):)

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
As has been mentioned, they are the same diameter and they are not interchangeable. The 10MM came first and the FBI deemed that it had too much recoil for women and smaller statured agents. They shortened the case and made the .40 S&W. Some people think S&W stands for "Smith and Wesson" but in this case it stands for "short and weak" since it is essentially a neutered 10MM.;):)
Don’t think that the 40 S&W is a weak cartridge by any means though. As far as combat cartridges go- it’s pretty stout- having more energy than 9mm or 45 acp.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I said that tongue in cheek as mostly a joke. Yes you are correct, it is a stout cartridge in its own right. But just shorter and weaker than its parent cartridge - the 10MM.

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
I said that tongue in cheek as mostly a joke. Yes you are correct, it is a stout cartridge in its own right. But just shorter and weaker than its parent cartridge - the 10MM.
Absolutely- the 10 mm is between .357 and .41 mag in terms of energy and momentum- quite a cartridge indeed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Absolutely- the 10 mm is between .357 and .41 mag in terms of energy and momentum- quite a cartridge indeed.
The .357 and 10mm are on par energy wise; the .357 having fraction more case capacity than a 10mm. The 10mm was designed to match the .357 Mag.

Both are substantially down on a 41. Mag.

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
The .357 and 10mm are on par energy wise; the .357 having fraction more case capacity than a 10mm. The 10mm was designed to match the .357 Mag.

Both are substantially down on a 41. Mag.
I’m talking about non +p .357. You are right as far as full house .357 is concerned- on par with the 10. .357≈550 ft lbs, 10mm≈650 ft lbs, .41 mag≈900 ft lbs, 44 mag≈1250 ft lbs, full power 44 mag≈1550 ft lbs, 454 Casull≈1800 ft lbs.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I’m talking about non +p .357. You are right as far as full house .357 is concerned- on par with the 10. .357≈550 ft lbs, 10mm≈650 ft lbs, .41 mag≈900 ft lbs, 44 mag≈1250 ft lbs, full power 44 mag≈1550 ft lbs, 454 Casull≈1800 ft lbs.
Another thing is that depending on the ammo, they over lap in ranges of power. The top end 10mm is at the bottom end of the 41 mag.

The 40 is not more powerful than the 45, but depending on the ammo, one might have an edge over the other, but the 45 will always be heavier, and larger diameter.

I like the 10MM the best out of the three you mentioned. It might not have the power that a 44mag has, but it has 15 rounds, and you don't have to cock it every time like your Blackhawk. The 10mm, the 45acp, and even the 9mm has been proven to stop a Grizzly bear.

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
Another thing is that depending on the ammo, they over lap in ranges of power. The top end 10mm is at the bottom end of the 41 mag.

The 40 is not more powerful than the 45, but depending on the ammo, one might have an edge over the other, but the 45 will always be heavier, and larger diameter.

I like the 10MM the best out of the three you mentioned. It might not have the power that a 44mag has, but it has 15 rounds, and you don't have to cock it every time like your Blackhawk. The 10mm, the 45acp, and even the 9mm as been proven to stop a Grizzly bear.
With the hard cast loads out there today- 10mm is adequate for black bear defense, though I wouldn’t rely on it for moose defense. Yes, a 10 mm glock may have more capacity than my Super Blackhawk, but my 340 grain .429 hard casts moving at 1450 FPS will penetrate enough to take down the moose. Not that others won’t at times, but the physics tends to favor the big bore wrist breaker revolvers when it comes to moose, bison, brown bear and polar bear (the only thick skinned dangerous game in North America). For black bear- yes, a 10 mil is fine, but where I’m located in the state, I’m more worried about moose than bears- the northern part of Southern Maine and southern part of Western Maine has more moose than bears.

·
Registered
409 Posts
With the hard cast loads out there today- 10mm is adequate for black bear defense, though I wouldn’t rely on it for moose defense. Yes, a 10 mm glock may have more capacity than my Super Blackhawk, but my 340 grain .429 hard casts moving at 1450 FPS will penetrate enough to take down the moose. Not that others won’t at times, but the physics tends to favor the big bore wrist breaker revolvers when it comes to moose, bison, brown bear and polar bear (the only thick skinned dangerous game in North America). For black bear- yes, a 10 mil is fine, but where I’m located in the state, I’m more worried about moose than bears- the northern part of Southern Maine and southern part of Western Maine has more moose than bears.
I agree that the 44mag is way more power than my 10mm, but the 10mm is used for polar bear defense in other countries. I also hear that 10mm is more popular in Alaska now, than the 44mag.

·
Registered
409 Posts
do you have the 7.5 inch barrel on your blackhawk?

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
I agree that the 44mag is way more power than my 10mm, but the 10mm is used for polar bear defense in other countries. I also hear that 10mm is more popular in Alaska now, than the 44mag.
Maybe, but I don’t trust it enough yet. I don’t know anyone who carries a 10- only 44 and 454.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
OK, I'll own this one. A citizen stated you could shoot 40 S&W in a 10mm G20. That's crap I said to myself. To prove that point I did an experiment. PD handloads for the 40 were used. Loaded up my G20 magazine with 40 S&W. A full magazine later I decided to share may experience.

Experience says it's possible. My take on it is that much is lost so doing. However, I did not chronograph the experiment. My suggestion for shooting 40S&W is to get a G22 or G23. Like 10mm? It would be to get a G20 or G29.

·
Administrator
26,166 Posts
And for those of us that feel many things go in circles-

Back in 1910, Colt made a total of FOUR pistols in this caliber for some European military trials. I have ONE round of this in my collection. The .40 S&W is just about identical. Pistol was a modified Colt 1910 .45. No sales resulted, project dropped.

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
OK, I'll own this one. A citizen stated you could shoot 40 S&W in a 10mm G20. That's crap I said to myself. To prove that point I did an experiment. PD handloads for the 40 were used. Loaded up my G20 magazine with 40 S&W. A full magazine later I decided to share may experience.

Experience says it's possible. My take on it is that much is lost so doing. However, I did not chronograph the experiment. My suggestion for shooting 40S&W is to get a G22 or G23. Like 10mm? It would be to get a G20 or G29.
Good chance it has a catastrophic failure or doesn’t fire- the casing for 40 Smith is shorter and doesn’t have the appropriate headspace. There is also a chance that the bullet hits portion of the chamber designed to create headspace for the 10mm. Not saying you will have these issues, but for your safety I recommend you don’t do this. I’ve seen .380 fires in a 9mm, and it worked, that time, but who is to say that the next bullet wouldn’t hit the chamber improperly and remove a guy’s finger? Auto loader cartridges aren’t the same as revolver cartridges

1 - 20 of 64 Posts