10 mm 1911?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by bigbomar4, Jun 7, 2012.

1. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

Is there anyone who makes a 10mm 1911 with an ambi thumb safety? Im a lefty and I prefer to carry in condition 1 so either a right side safety or ambi is a must. This will also be my first 1911 if I do buy one.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i am thinking the Colt Delta comes in 10mm and if it didn't have an ambi safety, it should be an easy modification to make. hopefully Canebrake will have some input as he is well versed on the Colt 1911's. i am not certain of the Delta vs the other Colt 1911's and if their are any differences beside the caliber.

3. cuba

cuba New Member

Colt Delta Elite, but you can modify any 1911 frame with an ambi-safety.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

4. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

Any Idea on the price to have the ambi-safety added?

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

it's a modification that could be done yourself if you have some mechanical apptitude and some basic tools. the parts are not that expensive and range from about $20-40 and there are many differents brands. check out Brownell's or MidwayUSA for the parts. even if you were not able to do it yourself, a gunsmith should be able to do it in about 15-20 minutes. i changed mine on one of my 1911's from an ambi to a single sided saftey and it only took me about 20 minutes and i am not a gunsmith, just a hobbiest.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Just pay attention to detail.

The thumb safety blocks the sear from moving. Remove too much metal, you have to start over.
    If you do not have the faith to do it yourself, I suggest getting a gunsmith to do it.

Safeties can be done, but make sure it passes the bench tests.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

+1 dan, QFT.

First 1911, a safety install is not a job for the inexperienced! It's not that difficult to do, it does take skill and knowledge of the platform.

You will need to buy or modify the right grip to get the new safety to work.

The Colt Delta Elite is the way to go with 10mm 1911's!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012