10 gauge:)

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by iftown, Apr 30, 2013.

1. iftown

iftown New Member

So my buddie has a gunshop and i work with him and help out around the shop every once in awile and he got me a 10 gauge browning model 30 shotgun on trade and just gave it to me for helping around the shop the stock is a little scratched and the barrel could use a little blue touch up anybodys opinions on this gun. And ive never shot a 10 gauge so what to expect

2. nosaj

nosaj New Member

Expect a tender shoulder

3. iftown

iftown New Member

Haha i figured that

4. MattShlock

MattShlock New Member

Size isn't everything, OK!?

LOL

That was nice and generous of him. Potent arms. Goose hunting? Buck? Bear!?

5. iftown

iftown New Member

Definitely bird hunting is a 10 to much will it demolish everything i shoot bird wise see i havent got alotta knowledge with shotguns?

6. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

It won't demolish the birds any worse than a 12 or 20 at the same range with the same shot size. You will just be sending more pellets out to the target. Too close is too close regardless of gauge. Nice of your buddy to do that. Good friends are hard to find, and you have one there.

7. iftown

iftown New Member

Ya hes a good man any recomended ammo fir turkey or waterfowl?

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

Same shot size you use in 12ga. Im not a huge shotgunner but the reason for a 10 is to make the shot pattern more dense at much greater distance. Its not going to make you a better hunter just makes it more liekly a killing pellet hits the bird at a greater distance.

The ammo is pretty pricey especially if your hunting a no lead zone. Its a major reason you dont see them very often even in goose hunting. The advantage of the dense pattern doesnt really offset the abuse your shoulder takes or the higher cost of ammunition.

9. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

10 gauges are just not as common as they used to be. i rarely see them for sale like i did many years ago.

but still a nice score from your friend and a danged nice gesture on his part. enjoy her!

11. iftown

iftown New Member

Thanks man i will

12. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I haven't seen a 10 guage but have seen a 8 gauge in a pawn shop once. It was a bolt action and had a long battel on it. This was 20 years ago and the shells back then were $20 a box.