10 gauge shotgun for defense

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Jagermeister, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I have been reading about the 10 gauge shotgun from various articles. I am curious about using a 10 gauge as a property/home defense weapon. Does anybody have experience with this, or know of actual cases of the 10 gauge shotgun for defense? I do know that Wells Fargo used them on stage coaches, but I am interested in modern pumps/semi-autos.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/10gauge.htm

2. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Jager' - I can tell you that I have only ever seen 3 1/2" shells for a 10 ga. shotgun & that they weigh a "ton". The only modern 10 ga. pump that comes to mind is the 10 ga. Browning BPS.

3. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

Yah sure. Dont worry about calling pd. Ur just goin to repaint what ever room the bg is in red. No biggie. I have a h and r break barrel i use some time when i take my friends clay shooting and well it turns the clays to babie powder. So yah hd with a 10 is a hell of a way to dispatch them. ;-)

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I don't see much on the plus side in favor of a 10 gauge compared to a 12. Payload is not not that much more than a 12. Guns are often heavier/bulkier and very limited selection. Limited ammo selection in 10 ga.

5. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

I agree. 12 ga. Is more than adequate for any human.
    Its like buying a sledgehammer to kill flies when you already own a fly swatter.

6. spottedpony

spottedpony New Member

To add to everything, you're dealing with a heavier weapon so it will take longer to swing towards a target. Add to that more recoil which will take fractions of a second longer to recover from. In a defense scenerio, a fraction of a second can make the difference.
    As for Wells Fargo using 10's back in the day, these also were black powder weapons utilizing a load about on par with a modern 12 guage load.

7. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Thank you or your replies. I am just curious about any cases, weapons, and experiences with this gauge. I am not going to use one.

8. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

Just remember one thing. Its what you feel comfertable with. My main hd gun is marlin 30-30 people say im crazy until thay see how fast i can put 3 shot at 10yds in a 1in group.

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

It is completely unnecessary, but I want one. I want a decent 10 ga double barrel (SXS). I am going to cut the barrels to 20" and have a picatinney rail installed. I will torture test a red dot until I find one capable of withstanding the tremendous recoil.

18 pellet 00 buckshot 3 1/2" loads will be like firing two 12 ga 00 buck shells at once. Shoulder fired claymore mine. Human wave attacks will be broken up in short order

10. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

God bless you robo... I value my joints too much apparently!

11. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

Every 10 gauge I have ever seen has been a long son of a gun. I can't see swinging a 30" barrel down my hall. They do seem on about par with the modern 12 gauge loads.

12. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

A 10 Gauge? Not!!!! Jager, wait until you shoot one especially a double barrel or pump! Probably one might even wonder after the shot who got the worst end of it? You or the perpetrator!:D I will tell you a 3 1/2 12 Ga Mag is bad enough. But for home defense certainly a standard 12 ga pump with 4/0 or BB or No. 2 shot is a better choice by far. And something about racking the slide on a pump gun telegraphs a world wide recognized sound to most all bad guys! I literally had one mess his britches (#2) when the gun was pumped on one occasion before my voice command! LOL! :D It is a universal sound!

13. akers06

akers06 New Member

14. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

When I was a kid, we would go to the pawn shops with my dad. I remember seeing the old bolt action 8,10 and 12 guage shot guns. I asked my dad why he never would by one for me and he told me that we don't hunt geese, too much gun for squirrels and just too much dang kick to have fun with.

15. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Why get a 10 gauge when a 12 will do just fine? A 10 gauge seems overkill, like when c3 said he uses 300 win mag on rabbits LOL

16. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I don`t know why not, this hangs over our bedroom door & with a 24" barrel its very manoeuvrable..........

Attached Files:

17. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I think that would be WAY overkill!!!:eek: If 20 pellets of #3 buck from my 20 ga in the chest don't do the trick I can get a second shot off before you can even start to recover from the 10 ga recoil.;)