10/22

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by SmithKid308, Aug 24, 2011.

1. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Ok I want a 10/22 for carrying when I go hiking/camping/ and if needed for survival and would I need a bull barrel or just an after market regular sized factory barrel and what type of ammo does your 10/22 eat ?

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

For hiking/camping, I'd suggest a plain ol' stock 10/22. Keep it simple.

If you must do some mods, add a scope and have Stalkingbear do a trigger job for you.

Just because mods are available doesn't mean they're necessary for a good reliable 10/22.

3. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

What would the trigger job cost me? And would the factory barrel do the job on small game like squirrel etc at 50 yards with a good quality scope

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

other than a scope don't change anything until you shoot it with 3 or 4 brands of ammo. Chances are you can be very happy with no changes. no one can tell you which ammo will shoot the best out of your 22, so just try some.

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

A 10/22 is an excellent rifle as is.

PM Stalkingbear and he'll discuss it with you.

6. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

You MIGHT wanna consider a Marlin 70PSS Papoose instead...breaks down into a small carry-case (included) for ease of packing.
    Use CCI minimags and it'll never give you a headache. http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/selfloading/70pss.asp
    [​IMG]

7. runtoeat

runtoeat New Member

Hello, I'm a new member and wondering where the best place might be on the forum to discuss Ruger 10-22. If someone can reply, I'm wondering if this thread is best? Thanks.

Dick

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

you can start one of your own in the 22 rifle/rimfire subsection.

9. runtoeat

runtoeat New Member

JonM, thanks for the reply.

Dick

10. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

You can do about anything with a 10/22. They have so much stuff for sale for them it's stupid.
    With that said, I have two myself. Both with target stocks, bull barrels, and all that. And I always shoot Federal Gold Match ammo. Not the cheapest in lines of 22 ammo but still pretty cheap compared to ammo for most other guns.

In the end though, if you want to shoot a squirrel in the center of the eye ball at 75 yards, then go that route.

If you just want to shoot it in the head and get the exact same result, throw on a good scope, keep the gun clean, and call it a day. Just do some shooting with some different rounds to see what floats best.

11. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

10 22

work the trigger over and try as much different amo as you can you may suprised mine likes cci blaser best 1.25 @100 yds

12. SteelHalo

SteelHalo New Member

M6 Survival Rifle

Looking to find an M6 survival rifle, I know they aren't manufactored anymore but I was curious if anyone knows where the best place to find one might be. Also curious what others think is the best .22LR pistol, maybe best for survival and best for home defense. Hope to hear back from anyone concerning these topics.

13. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

We had him do our triggers and they are wonderful, you will be quite happy.

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

check out the henry U.S. survival AR-7 rifle, 22lr, 3.5lbs. MSRP of $275 probably pretty close to the M6 rifle and is available from most gun dealers.

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have 2 stock 10/22's. They are accurate enough at 50 yards to take head shots on small game. One has a 2.5x Konus shotgun scope and the other has a red dot. Mine like the Mini Mags. For back packing you want to keep it light so forget the heavy barrels and fancy stocks. A fixed power scope is lighter than a variable and the red dot is lighter yet. My red dot is a Bushnell R25 on sale at Cabelas at less than 1/2 of MSRP. 3000 hour battery life. A trigger job would be your best upgrade. Other possible upgrade would be a folding stock.

16. Chortdraw

Chortdraw New Member

You can't go wrong having Stalkingbear do your trigger. It made my 1022 shoot like a new gun. There is so many things you can do to a 1022. I still have the stock barrel on mine and it is plenty accurate.:D

17. Carpshooter

Carpshooter New Member

Am I missing something ?

My 10/22 won't do this !:confused:

Guess I got one of the bad ones , cause even my target rifle in .22 won't do this either ! :(

Story telling time !:rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i just finished refinishing my Marlin M60 a few days ago. i took the factory iron sights off, just waiting for the rings to come in that i ordered. will mount a 3-9x40 scope i had stashed on it. i shot about 40 shots through it, worked like a charm.

19. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

if i were going to tell storys i would be talking 1 inch or less! im sure there ar e other 10-22 shooters here grouping 1.25 or less

20. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Put a decent scope on it & have a good trigger and test different ammo in it. That's all I would do to start with. If it still don't group well enough for you then add an aftermarket barrel to it. Green Mountain makes the best inexpensive barrels I've worked with.