10/22 Trigger Reset

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by beaglesam, Sep 16, 2012.

1. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

I have 10/22 that has about 2,000 rounds through it, two years old. All of the sudden the trigger would not reset. I can push the trigger forward and it will reset. I thought a good cleaning would do the trick. Took it back to range cycled perfectly for three or four 25 round magazines and it started the same thing I was able to push the trigger forward and it would fire that one shot. I have repeated the cleaning shooting process two two more times with the same result two or three magazines perfect and then trigger won't completely reset. Any suggestions.

2. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

You saying the trigger group fires and resets but the trigger does not return forword with out assist??

Maybe its a good time to diassemble the trigger group and clean and lube with a 0w synthetic oil like clp and see if that takes care of the problem .

3. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Thanks, but tried that on second cleaning. Shot three or four 25 round magazines perfectly and then would not reset all the way.

4. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Need a new reset spring...

5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Contact ruger , have them send a shipping label and let them deal with it. FREE

6. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Thanks for all replies.

7. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Alright this may sound crazy. After disassembling the the trigger group several times and reassembling and then test firing with the same results I finally stopped and thought. The only thing that was different on this gun was an after market stock. No way this could be the problem. I put the original wood stock back on and went to the range. Ten 25 round magazines and not a glitch. WTF, I have worked with this problem since January. Now I need to figure how the after market stock could have caused this problem.

8. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Interesting. My uncle has a 10-22 with the same exact problem. Also has an aftermarket stock on it. Butler creek pistol grip folding. Be sure to let us know what you find out.

9. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

That is the exact stock I was using.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  10. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Even more interesting.........but I also cannot imagine what the stock would have to do with this............

11. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

So I take it your uncle has the same stock with same problem with the trigger.

12. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Correct. It was cleaned, same thing. It was taken to a gunsmith, same thing. You have to stick your finger in back of the trigger to push it out to get it to reset. Then it will fire. And do it again......

13. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Wow, ok we need to figure this out.

14. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

You know, I'd be inclined to try big shrek's suggestion first. Get a new trigger reset spring. Maybe see if there is one slightly stronger. How much could that cost? Unfortunately, I may not be able to try this out myself, I don't really have access to the gun. But I will ask.

15. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

I believe I have figured this problem out. The problem is in the Butler Creek stock. It appears that the design allows the the trigger pivot pin to disengage enough that the trigger will not totally reset. I spent an hour at the range today going from original stock to the Butler Creek stock. Each time with the Butler Creek stock after a magazine or two the reset problem would start. I took the stock off and the trigger pivot pin would be out on the right side. Now I need to figure out a fix. Or maybe Butler Creek needs to figure this out.

16. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Ah, yeah, I think it should be BC that takes responsibility here. Good job figuring that one out. Although it's been so long since I have had my hands on the 10/22, I cannot visualize what you are talking about. Maybe some pics? How could a stock possibly force a pin out that is contained within the receiver? I'm assuming it it spanning the receiver from one side to the other, and flush with both? You can be rest assured that when my uncle gets back from his current business trip, I will be bugging him to either sell me the gun, or at least let me fiddle with it. As far as I'm aware, the problem was never solved....

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  17. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Correct the trigger pivot pin is directly above the trigger and goes all the way through the receiver.

18. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

lets see you have a aluminin reciever and you torque it down into a plastic stock and it screws up then you put it back in a wood stock and its ok?think about it the recerver is distorting just enough to screw it up

19. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

What difference would it make if you put it in a plastic or wood stock? People re-stock their guns all the time with no trouble, correct? Something tells me if you are screwing it down that tight to the stock, enough to distort the receiver, bigger issues would show up and sooner than this problem.

I am still interested in why a slight shift in this pin side to side would cause this problem.

tonydewar, do you mean the stock is distorting? As in you tighten the screws forcing the sides of the stock to belly out just enough to allow the pin to move? Crap, I wish I had the gun in front of me.....