10/22 to scope or not to scope?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by ta1588, Apr 23, 2011.

1. YES! Of course!

35 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. Nah, stick with Irons...

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

Debating on whether or not to get an affordable rimfire scope to add to the ol' 10/22 to extend it's reach...what do you guys think?

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Why not scope it, have a little more fun.

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

No question, you need a scope. Lots more fun.

4. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Definitely BUT don't bother with the stock mount, it's problematic if you don't have blue threadlock. I just installed Weaver see-thru mounts on mine yesterday & aquisition feels more natural due to the scope being raised a little. I have a Simmons 3x9 on mine. Here's where I bought my mounts & saved money: Weaver 1-Inch Steel Lock Mounts for Ruger 10/22:Amazon:Sports & Outdoors

Happy shooting :D

5. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I've got pretty much the same set-up. The Weaver see-thru's allow you to sight using either method and I like having that option. :cool:

Attached Files:

6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I think all my iron sights fell off

OOOPS, I forgot my reading glasses.:rolleyes:

A scope is the only way for me.

7. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

I may be sold on the Weaver see-thru's....what's the sight picture like thru the rings? anyone care to take a picture of it?

8. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

The gap is 3/4" which up close is plenty tall. Take the front width of the scope into consideration.

Sorry, no pics :(

9. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Nice :D I love the stainless.

10. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Here's the best shot of the sight picture that I could get. It's kind of hard to get the shot just the way I'd like it. The Weaver See-thru's are wide enough that they really don't interfer with using the irons. :cool:

Attached Files:

11. neil-v1

neil-v1 New Member

I am all for scopes as well, as long as your good shooting with the stock sight first. I just bought my daughters a Marlin 795 and they want a scope. I will make sure they can place shots down range without one before I put it on for them.

12. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

I got a BSA .22 Special 4x32 scope. I have it mounted now with the rings that came with it and I can still (barely) use the irons because I have a sort-of see thru rail and the rings are high. I'm loving the sight picture thru the weaver bases though, I found a set of them at my local wal-mart and I'm REALLY considering picking them up. Thanks for the pic :)

13. bolt_action14

bolt_action14 New Member

Scope it!

I would definitely scope it. I don't know if your target shooting or varmint shooting but either are so much more fun with a scope. My Ruger 10/22 has a 3x-9x scope on it and I've never missed a squirrel or groundhog and I've shot at over 100yds with it scoped in all the way and it works AMAZINGLY! So scope it for sure.

14. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

Okay guys, Just got back from wally world with the weaver rings and mounted them and the scope to the 'ol .22....all screws fastened securely and what not. Gonna have a fun Easter sightin' her in tomorrow. I am LOVING this set up so far, long range shots with the scope, and I can pull off close-in stuff with the still very usable iron sights! :)

15. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

and what good is any thread without pics?

Attached Files:

16. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

There you go man, it looks great!!! :cool:

17. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Very nice :D You'll be glad you went with the Weavers.

18. doctherock

doctherock New Member

19. safedman

safedman New Member

I use the tiny Dumb Dumb lollipops for targets when you hit em you get a nice puff of sugar powder.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  20. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Hey a fellow southpaw. Where'd you get that stock?