10/22 takedown stock makeover

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Matthew Keller, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Matthew Keller

Matthew Keller New Member

Hello everyone! I’m hoping one of my gunsmith buddies can help me out. I’m new here and need some advice.

I’m not a proud papa of a Gem Tech MIST 10/22 TD (11 months later).

Now the question: the diameter of the suppressor is .902 inches. My stock currently holds the factory barrel. Instead of buying a new stock I was hoping that I could somehow sand/dremmel out the barrel channel in the old stock to allow the new barrel to fit.

Would you advise this or just spending yet another couple bucks. I’m a big fan of the factory stock and would like to keep it if at all possible. If it is possible, how would you suggest I go about it?

Thank you so much for your time!!

2. SWSinTN

SWSinTN Member

67stingray and Dallas53 like this.

3. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

first of all it matters what material the stock is made of and whether there is enough material in the fore-end area to open it up for the increase in diameter.

without knowing exactly what stock you have, and it's material, it's hard to suggest a more indepth answer to your questions. pictures and more details would be helpful.

Matthew Keller likes this.
  4. Imurhuckleberry

Imurhuckleberry Well-Known Member

Many have done what you have suggest doing. They begin with coarse sandpaper wrapped around a wooden dowel or socket used for wrenches and gradually increase the diameter of the dowel or the socket wrench. If you go about using the automotive socket wrenches it is recommended that metric sockets are used as the incremental increases are sequential.

5. Dallas53

while that is an excellent method, and i have used it on wood and laminated stocks, on some of the factory plastic stocks, it doesn't work that great because they don't have enough material to work with because of the way they are injection molded, and have too many empty voids under the barrel and fore-end area.

67stingray likes this.
  6. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I second buying a bull barrel stock. They are plentiful, and inexpensive to buy.

Yes you could rechannel your existing stock. But it takes a lot of time. And time is money, as they say.

7. Dallas53

my brother has the standard 10/22 Take-Down, and i looked at, and i'm not sure there is enough material to open up the barrel channel for a larger diameter barrel without it looking like crap.

another option might be buying the fore-end stock for the factory Integral Suppressor for the Take-Down from Ruger.

https://www.ruger.com/micros/silent-sr-ISB/index.html

8. Matthew Keller

Matthew Keller New Member

31081114-F1EC-4562-B06A-AB0D08EF7CC0.jpeg

Thank you for the response. It is the factory black laminate wooden stock. Handsome stock, which is why I wanted to try to keep it at all costs.

9. Dallas53

that one will be pretty easy to open up the barrel channel. just use one of the methods described and take your time. go slowly, checking regularly for clearance and that you don't remove too much material. work slowly. when you have enough material removed that gives you the clearance you need, i would apply a sealer to the sanded area afterwards.

SWSinTN and 67stingray like this.