10/22 question

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Korey, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Korey

Korey New Member

I have a friend that wants a quiet rabbit gun, so obviously a suppressor is needed. My question is do the 10/22 have any cycling problems or anything with a suppressor added? I know it will still crack and everything but it should be much quieter than unsuppressed . Will it be worth it though?

2. Korey

Korey New Member

also I'm sure this has been asked but I couldn't find anything when I looked

3. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I'd probably just buy some CCI sub-sonic ammo rather than deal with the ATF on a suppressor. I use the CCI sub-sonic for squirrel hunting and it is noticably quieter than the regular velocity ammo.

4. Korey

Korey New Member

I'll have him try that first. I already going to be getting one for my AR so I figured he could just do it same time as I got mine

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Supressors generally improve reliabilty of function.

6. Drriley

Drriley New Member

I would reccomend a Bolt action 22 and use 22 cb shorts. It will almost be as quiet as a pellet rifle and much more accurate.

7. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

Unless something has changed in the last 10 years, If you purchase, register & obtain a suppressor you're allowed to use it on any firearm it will work on, i.e. a .223 rifle and .22 rifle. Unlike a short barreled rifle, short barreled shotgun or fully automatic weapon the suppressor itself is what your registering, not a particular firearm.

As far as your friend wanting a quiet rabbit gun like others have suggested I'd go with sub-sonic rounds. A longer barrel helps dampen the report with sub-sonic rounds too.

8. Werminator

Werminator Member

Using shorts is also a heck of a lot cheaper than buying your stamp and supressor.

9. MrGrumpy89

MrGrumpy89 Member

Suppressor for rabbits? Are you afraid they are going to shoot back? Might want a ghille suit too. LOL JK. Yea some sub-sonic ammo should do.

10. SoL

SoL New Member

wow, i suppose I should consider myself lucky.
    NZ gun laws allow any suppression of any firearm, you can buy 22 suppressors over the counter for about $30+.

I have always used a Ruger 10/22 with a .22wmr suppressor using CCI subsonics and it's never thrown up "I AM REFUSING TO FEED"" problems, it just makes sod all more noise than a click and the THLUP of the action.

also, silenced bunny shooting is amazing, if you (god forbid :p) screw up and miss you have a couple of free follow up shots before they get spooked but mainly it's being able to gun down a group of them without them scarpering from the report. I've had some very memorable multikills thanks to this (and the fact that rabbits dont look in trees).

that being said though, the rabbit concentrations being what they are where we shoot, it is not unheard of to simply shoot a rabbit and get a smaller one that was obliviously sitting behind it, or taking out more than 1-2 rabbits with single shotgun blasts.

I couldnt possibly overstate how ridiculous our rabbits are here.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011