10/22 problem with Federal Bulk

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Thelt, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Thelt

Thelt New Member

Any of you have trouble using Federal Bulk ammo in a 10/22? I am having issues with it failing to completely eject spent cartridges. I am wondering if it is the ammo or the gun.

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Have you gave it a darn good cleaning/oiling? I'd be willing to bet that's the problem.

3. Thelt

Thelt New Member

It is brand new. I did oil it a bit but I have not cleaned it.

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Like Stalkingbear said,Take it apart,clean the bolt and receiver.Lightly oil the bolt and reassemble.
    If you still have issues with the ammo,try a different brand/type to see if it is the ammo.Some rimfires are very picky about what they are fed.

5. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I have been having the same issues with the federal ammo in my .22 pistols. Use cci mini mag and have no issues.

6. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

My 5 .22's gobble up the Federal 550 Bulk packs. We've never had any problems with any of them and they are surprisingly accurate. Remington Golden Bullets in the bulk packs are pure crap. 3in 10 of them won't fire and several more will fail to eject. My guess is that your problem is related to the ammo magazines you are using. Clean them and inspect them. If they were aftermarket magazines without steel feed lips, that is the source of your problems.

7. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

All my 22's eat he crap out of it.
    Any firearm new or used should be taken down and cleaned and re lubed as soon as you get it home. Many think a new weapon is clean and ready but many times there's heavy grease/oils in there from shipment. Also can be metal shavings from manufacture.
    22's are notoriously finicky though. THey will like one brand over all others. A couple of mine will not feed any Winchester ammo.

8. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

I have never had problems with Federal Bulk in my 10-22s and they are about all I use. Try a good cleaning and lube and see if that works. If not, try the Winchester Bulk. Before you decide on any mechanical work that may be needed, shoot the snot out of it to break it in and smooth out any rough machining marks. Most 10-22s, if rough from the factory, will smooth out and function fine with use.

Jim...........

9. iflyfish

iflyfish New Member

My 10-22 shoots it fine.

10. monet61

monet61 New Member

Bulk ammo problem

I've read here and on other sites about the Remington bulk 22 having problems. With all respect, I've never had any issues with it as it relates to problems with any other brand. I shoot it in my 10-22, Mossberg 702, Marlin Mod 60 and Marlin 881. I just haven't had the issues reported. Maybe I'm just lucky.

11. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

Put an aftermarket extractor in it .
    Cleaning may fix the problem, but an aftermarket extractor like the Volquartzen does not cost much and will extract any ammo.
    For big box ammo, just a little more expensive than the 550 boxes, try the Federal Auto Match, about $16.00 for 325 rounds.
    It's darn good ammo for the price, much more accurate than the other big box ammo in all my 22's.

John K