10/22 Misfires

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by MurdaJ, Jan 19, 2011.

1. MurdaJ

MurdaJ New Member

Hi, Ive had misfire issues with my 10/22 since I bought it. It usually happens at least once every 10rd clip, sometimes up to 4 times. The problem seems to be that the firing pin isn't hitting hard enough to cause the round to go off; the dent made is noticeably shallower than the rest of our .22s. The unspent rounds will always fire in our other guns.

Everyone I have talked to has never had/heard of any issues with 10/22s. Ive kept it cleaned, but not overly oiled. Ive also tried every brand of 22lr I could get my hands on. After a summer of testing, I found slightly better performance from Remington rounds, but still no where near perfect.

I had hoped that the mechanism needed time to break in and loosen up, but its been a few years now so Im sure its pretty broken in.

Are there any fixes I can do myself? Id rather not pay someone to try to figure it out, Im a DIY type of guy.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

My first question would be.....what ammo are you using?

3. MurdaJ

MurdaJ New Member

I settled on these Remingtons, I tried Federal and others too. The Rems fired slightly more consistently

[​IMG]

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

if this occurs across multiple brands of 22lr. then you liekly have a hammer spring that is too weak. sometimes it happens. contact ruger if it is still under warranty. im not certain what their warranty entails never had to use it. my rugers are either too old or i can fix em myself.

5. MurdaJ

MurdaJ New Member

its over 5 years old now so I doubt its still under warranty, but ill double check.

Weak hammer spring, nice now I have a lead. Ill check out what replacement options I have.

Thanks for the quick replies

6. MurdaJ

MurdaJ New Member

I replied to your post earlier, but it didnt post :confused:

Im using Remington High velocity 22lr hollowpoints, I tried federal and others as well

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Does he want to do that before determining if ammo might be the issue? It's not uncommon to have misfires with inferior ammo.

8. MurdaJ

MurdaJ New Member

What ammo do you recommend?

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

he did say it occurs across brands of ammo.

it also might be a worn firing pin too, nw that i think about it. if the rifle has been dry fired a lot the chamber endge might be banged up enough for proper strikes to occur.

its one of those things spring, firing pin, or beat to hell chamber edge. ruger 10/22 pins and springs are cheap barrel is a bit more up to 100ish give or take. 10/22 shouldnt be dry fired without snap caps.

10. MurdaJ

MurdaJ New Member

Right, and its been having the issue since the first time I took it to shoot. So if it was damaged from dry firing that happened before I bought it. I did buy it from a wal mart, so that isn't unlikely.

Since Im going to have to replace either the spring or the pin, are there any upgrades that I should do? Or just stock replacement?

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

if its been doing it from the get go the worst case is the reciever is not to spec. or the barrel may not be tightened down correctly when it was assembled.

you can try removing the barrel cleaning the chamber area and inspect the reciever area where the barrel goes in for burrs.

its cheap and free. might try that first.

12. MurdaJ

MurdaJ New Member

Ok, Ill check it out. Thanks

13. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Maybe just send your trigger group to Stalkingbear for a trigger job and have him replace the hammer spring while he's already in there.
    Just a thought:)

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Try flushing out the bolt with brake cleaner or gun scrubber. You may have gunk built upin there.

15. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Most of us that have had 10/22's for any length of time have switched out our stock hammers for the target hammer made by companies like Volquartsen and Power Custom. Gun Kings has them for $33.95 right now with free shipping. It takes about 15 minutes to swap them out if you take your time. It comes with a new hammer spring. It takes your 6lb. trigger pull down to about 3lbs.

http://www.gunkings.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=71_67&zenid=uhvfn1vm000ulmp7aug46oc7i3

Here's a instructional piece on how to do the procedure:

<Your New ruger 10/22>

It also may be helpful in showing you how to disassemble the rifle so you can check everything out and lubricate it.

I agree that your barrel may not be seated all the way into the receiver and that may be why the firing pin isn't hitting the shell hard enough. Check it out.

Good luck with your 10/22, they are fun rifles to have and shoot.

16. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Your hammer spring is too light for the ammo you use. Either put a stiffer hammer spring in, or a new trigger assembly. All ammo should fire reliably in your 10 22.

You can also TAPER your firing pin so it penetrates the rim deeper (that's what I did to fix the problem on mine). I never had another mis-fire since then.

17. MurdaJ

MurdaJ New Member

Im new here so Im guessing Stalkingbear is a member on here?

Trust me, Ive cleaned the **** out of it with solvents

Thanks! Thats definitely an upgrade I will be doing soon!

Ill take a look and see where I may be able to mod it to hit deeper, do you have pics of what you did?

18. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Yes sir, one of the most knowledgeable and respected members here at FTF.
    Check out his thread and maybe shoot him a PM about your light strike problem
    http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f53/ruger-10-22-trigger-groups-professionally-reworked-19201/

Not saying you need to get the trigger job to fix your problem, was just suggesting it since if you ever thought about improving your trigger pull you could kill two birds with one stone.

19. MurdaJ

MurdaJ New Member

just read that thread, thats probably the route Ill end up taking. Like you said, two birds with one stone :D

Thanks everyone

20. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

It seems to me like most of the Ruger 10/22's I have ever shot had a similar problem. Has anyone eever had a problem with them double feeding or trying to strip the next round from the magazine half way up the round and then jamming the bullet into the face of the feed ramp?