10/22 help

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by KJH_1185, Feb 4, 2013.

1. KJH_1185

KJH_1185 New Member

I only own a pistol and want a rifle. So please exuse my newbie questions. I've determined I want the ruger 10/22. That being said the only one I can find is a terribly ugly finish. Is it possible for me to modify that into a normal wood finish. And if so how expensive would it be ?

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes you can change the finish on the wood stock. You would have to strip the finish, stain and refinish with one of several finishes out there. Personally I like Tung Oil. It is relatively inexpensive, probably less than $20. You can also get a nice finished stock in several different styles and colors from Boyds for about $100. I dont think there is a limit on how you can modify a 10-22.
    http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/

3. KJH_1185

KJH_1185 New Member

Oh cool. So I can buy a new stock and replace the entire thing changing the whole body of it?

4. rsfrid

rsfrid New Member

It's easy to switch stocks on a 10/22.

5. string1946

string1946 New Member

10-22 Ruger

There really isn't much on a Ruger 10-22 that you can't change. Heres pictures of two of mine. As you can see, nothing much was left stock. I have a 3rd one but it has the full length laminated stock so I left it that way.

Attached Files:

6. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 New Member

yes you can easily swap stocks. just remove the front band and the mount screw from underneath and off it comes. you can go ABS-black or get a custom wood stock, or even a little better factory. pretty much what ever floats your boat.

i got a real nice stock from rhineland arms for a PSL. I saw their rimfire stocks and plan on upgrading my plastic butler creek one with one of theirs. I believe that you can get one finished from them but I prefer to complete the finish myself. here's the link to their homepage: http://www.troupsystems.com/index.htm

whichever way you go just remember to maintain the overall length requirement as some kits require a longer barrel to maintain the requirement. I believe stock length barrel is 18 1/2" and it is ok but 16" aftermarket may push you under the (I think) 24" OAL minimums

Good luck and enjoy

7. KJH_1185

KJH_1185 New Member

Sweet. Thanks a lot. I'm probably gonna buy the rifle I can get then swap it with an aftermarket stock.

8. JackStrong

JackStrong New Member

Oh go ahead and buy it, and watch it become your favorite. I just purchased a beautiful walnut stock for mine, 135.00 like said already it was a simple 5 minute install.

9. JackStrong

JackStrong New Member

Oh go ahead and buy it, and watch it become your favorite. I just purchased a beautiful walnut stock for mine, 135.00 like said already it was a simple 5 minute install.

10. KJH_1185

KJH_1185 New Member

Did you get it online? If so what website?

11. JackStrong

JackStrong New Member

I bought the stock from Midway, it's the same stock that's on the Sporter model of the 10/22. I originally purchased the standard carbine and decided I liked the Sporter stock better. Now with that stock, a really good scope it's really a sweet rifle, I have other rifles and pistols but this is my favorite, well at least for now, I do have my eye on a CZ Trainer..

12. KJH_1185

KJH_1185 New Member

Ok thanks.