10/22 going click instead of bang...

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Okie_6Shooter, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Okie_6Shooter

Okie_6Shooter New Member

Am kind of at a loss here and hoping someone can be of help. I have a Ruger 10/22 that is giving me fits. This particular gun had been shot with a variety of different ammo and I must admit that outside of running a bore snake through it, it had been neglected. Yes I know, very stupid.

The problem that I've been having,even after a more thorough cleaning, isthat at times it will eject/feed/fire properly but other times it will chamber a new bullet but will just click when I pull the trigger. I will enject that unfired round and then chamber a new one will fire just fine. Sometimes two in a row will go bang and then back to just a click. I have been running SK HV target rounds lately. They are very waxy and high dollar but I don't really care for them. Ran some Federal Automatch through and still had the same thing, which I ruled out it was just bad ammo. It was happening with all of the mags so I ruled out just being a bad mag.

I am fairly new to the sport so I am not sure what route to go. I'm sure there could, and hopefully is, an easy and cheap fix. Thanks in advance for the advice!

2. JayCody

JayCody New Member

How does the firing pin look?

3. JayCody

JayCody New Member

Do you have any of the rounds that mis fired? Is there a good primer strike? I would take it apart and clean the bolt face and firing pin channel

4. Okie_6Shooter

Okie_6Shooter New Member

I was thinking maybe something with the firing pin but I don't know what a good one should look like.

5. JayCody

JayCody New Member

Can you post a pic?

6. Okie_6Shooter

Okie_6Shooter New Member

I sure can. I don't have it right with me but I will post it today. Thanks a bunch!

7. JayCody

JayCody New Member

Glad to help. While you are at it see if you can freely move the firing pin back and forth in the bolt.

8. Okie_6Shooter

Okie_6Shooter New Member

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Firing pins can be difficult to troubleshoot. Quite often just the tip breaks off the firing pin. Without a new firing pin to compare the old one too it's hard to see the firing pin is broken.

I would clean the firing pin channel. If the rifle doesn't fire all the time, its likely the firing pin is broken. If the gun has been fired a lot I would check the barrel where the firing pin strikes it. If there is a groove wore in the barrel take the gun to a gunsmith. A competent gunsmith can fix the rifle.

10. JayCody

JayCody New Member

This normally happens if the gun is dry fired a Lot.

11. Okie_6Shooter

Okie_6Shooter New Member

I do not dry fire that particular gun so rule that out. It didn't used to do this but it has 2 out of the last 3 times I've taken it out.

12. JayCody

JayCody New Member

I'm thinking its the firing pin binding in the bolt, I may be wrong but it's possible especially if it hasn't been cleaned.

13. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

more than likely it just needs a more thorough cleaning. then some light lube.

14. kaido

kaido New Member

Find it funny no one else thinks they could just be the typical duds. One of the easy ways to figure this out is to eject the round and rotate it. Some times it'll fire which means the primer wasn't spread through the rim properly.

15. JayCody

JayCody New Member

Thats possible but unlikely that there would be that many with different brands of ammo.

16. robertb6112

robertb6112 New Member

Unless your ammo got wet somehow at one point. I've had that trouble with shotgun shells. That got caught in the rain.

17. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

A simple look at at one of the rounds that did not fire would show how hard it was hit.

18. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

Could you have some "duds" in your ammo supply? The part about one bad one chamber another and it fires makes me think bad ammo----

19. Okie_6Shooter

Okie_6Shooter New Member

The thing is I keep all of the ammo stored in ammo boxes while in my possession. I should have checked each round that I spit out for not firing to see where the strike was at. Seeing that it happened with 2 different types of ammo had me thinking it was mechanical within the firearm itself. Pictures of firing pin to come...