10/22 extended charging handle suggestions

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by hawkguy, Jan 19, 2013.

1. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

i put a low scope on my 10/22 & the bolt/charging handle is now a bit awkward and bothersome.

i have done a quick look at replacement charging handles, but they all get mixed reviews, even the ones out of my price range. i was hoping for a good extended model for $40 or less.

anyone have good/bad experiences with a replacement (extended) bolt/charging handle?

2. Holmes375

Holmes375 New Member

I use a Volquartsen charging handle and like it but I'm using it with their bolt, too.

A friend of mine just took his factory handle and dipped it in that plasti-coat stuff one uses to create a rubber/plastic coated tool handle. He says it made a nice improvement but I haven't yet tried it in the field.

3. hawkguy

actually, a suggestion form another forum led me to the KIDD product line.

ordered a new rod and charging handle and a new buffer pin. i'll report back on my thoughts.

4. cbibb

cbibb New Member

Cant go wrong with Kid parts !!!!!!!!!! You can go on ebay and get right to specials from Kid inovations my next purchase is a 16in. kid light and a single stage trigger for my rimfire sporter rifle

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  5. hawkguy

i have to agree so far! love this charging handle and rod, my action is silky smooth!

thumbs up, so far!

6. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 New Member

I too did a volquartsen one and liked it at the time, but now I have gone and went for a new receiver with an AR style. it looks great and is smooth, but under my full size scope it can be a pain to operate as well. basically I think one has to get the handle to fit their particular setup.

7. Clem

Clem Member

I like the charging handle from the Ruger .22 magnum 10/22. I got the charging handle, complete with spring guide and spring from Brownell's. I cut off the crimped end of the guide rod, removed the spring and replaced it with a normal 10/22 spring. I ground the longer magnum guide rod to standard guide rod length and cut a little groove for a C clip. Inserted the C clip and replaced the assembly. It is a little bigger than the standard op rod handle, but not as huge as some of the other aftermarket handles.