10/22 Bananna Clip?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by northhike, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. northhike

northhike New Member

I just purchased a Ruger 10/22 All Weather. Put a scope and a sling on it and was wondering who make a reliable clip that goes beyond 10 rounds.

I was told the bananna clips tend to create jams.....but thats just the opinion of one guy. Which clips have you had luck with?

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

There are so many different companies that make aftermarket mags for the 10/22,but the Butler Creek-Steel lip mags are decent. The plastic lip mags work OK,but wear out and then you will start having problems with feeding/jamming.
    There are also some that are billet aluminum,but they are very expensive and I won't spend the money for them.

4. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

the butler creek steel lips are very good, after breaking them in (2 to 3 full mag dumps) i get no jams

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  5. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

Well heck yeah! Stick a bananna in a gun's receiver and it will jam every time.

Oh, you mean a 25-30 round magazine? In that case, Butler Creek magazines with steel lips are the way to go.

6. glenthoughts

glenthoughts New Member

I just used two butler Creek 25 rounders with no jams or malfunctions. They worked as well as the stock Ruger 10 round mag that came with it.

Mine do not have steel feed lips, still work great, I guess they will wear faster. My 10/22 is box stock.

7. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

I must warn you, I got a shooters ridge 50rd mag from cabelas and had great ambitions for it and it was wonderful whenever it worked...I haven't decided to throw it in the trash yet...but it pretty much jams every other round. They don't want to be pushed into the chamber from the mag. I've tried shaving down the plastic feed lips where they're getting stuck with little luck, maybe I'll shave 'em some more. The spring doesn't seem to be great either. Maybe I just got the bad one of the bunch but I sure wish it was reliable.

8. Joe M

Joe M New Member

Make sure you get the Steel Lips Magazine. All other's (like the Hot Lips Magazines) will never last as long as the Steel Lips do.

At least that's what I've read in the reviews and from what others have said that own both types.

This would seem to make sense as you seldom hear of a factory Ruger Magazine having feeding problems. They have steel lips along with rotary feed which makes them one of the best - if not the best on the market even though you're limited to 10 shots.

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

MMM, shaving good....Oh wait wrong section. Sorry.

Seriously, I have several high cap 10-22 mags ranging from 25 rd capacity to 50 rd. All seem to work well enough with round nose profiled bullets. The sharper truncated cone type bullets (yellow jacket, etc.) can give some mags fits.

10. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

true enough, out of all the ammo I've used CCI Mini Mags feeds the absolute best, hands down.

11. northhike

northhike New Member

Well I can see that I will have to be more careful using the words "bananna" and "clips" in a post in the future. :D

Well I ended up getting a Butler creek steel lip and it works great.....much better then shoving the bananna in the slot. :p

12. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Hey Northhike it is a common mistake, however, to further you education the following should make things a little clearer:
    CLIP = a metal device that holds rounds of ammunition and is physically inserted into a weapon and upon the firing of the last round the round and clip are physically ejected from the weapon. An example of a clip is the M1 Garand clip that holds 8 rounds of ammunition, see picture #1.

MAGAZINE = a metal device that holds rounds of ammunition and is physically inserted into a weapon and upon the firing of the last round remains in the weapon until removed by the shooter. An example of a magazine is the AR-15 magazine that can hold 20, 30, 40 or more rounds of ammunition, see picture #2.

There is also a Stripper clip that is used to hold rounds and facilitates loading rounds into a magazine. An example of a stripper clip is what holds 556 rounds when removed from a military bandoleer or what holds the 7.62 X 39 rounds for a SKS. I’m to lazy to get up and go find one to take a picture of but if you want to see one let me know and I will.

Hope this clears up the common mistake people make on calling a magazine a clip, P.S. this is a personal itch that I have just got to scratch. I’ve been a firearms instructor for 28 years and this is the one thing that I just can’t let go.

Attached Files:

13. robocop10mm

Clips can also be used to load magazines. Not all magazines are metal.

Generally a magazine has a spring and a clip does not. A clip may be made of " spring steel" but that is not the same as "having" a spring.
    Generally a magazine completely encloses the ammunition whereas a clip only holds the rim or a small amount of the base area of a case.

Banana Clip is a slang term that is considered passee. Coined probably by GI's referring to M-1 Carbine high capacity magazines that are curved "like a banana".

14. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

What the hell do you want one of these for your 10/22 does it have long hair?
    banana-clip-01.jpg

15. northhike

northhike New Member

I am frightened that you have one of those clips. However if it matches your purse holster I would call it a success! :p

16. robocop10mm

We have wives and significant others that survived the 80's fashion trends.

17. dzscubie ^ +1

haha i have to say i only looked at this thread to see if someone had already chewed into this guy for calling full cap mag a "banana clip" XD . and im glad someone explained the difference because that term annoys the crap outta me =P and for future reference it will make you sound like you have no clue what you are talking about

18. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Hummm, let me see…

Are you saying that anyone who attempts to clarify a misnomer like the difference between a clip and a magazine is a, in your terms, "F'n know it all"? I would also be interested to know how you compare other people and their knowledge to my knowledge base. I would like to know how you arrived at the conclusion that they are "far more knowledgeable then" I. I thought I explained the differences clearly and reasonably and did not think I insulted anyone. Do you think you might have overreacted just a little bit?

19. user4

user4 New Member

Be nice kids. Banana clip! Hahahaha.

Friendly reminder: Educate yourself about the difference between a clip and a magazine. The face covered in egg could be your own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.