10/22 Ammunition

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by armadirro, Mar 6, 2014.

1. armadirro

armadirro New Member

Is it safe to fire .22 mag poly-tip ammunition from CCI in a Ruger 10/22, or is it strictly only .22 LR rounds? Was just interested in the poly-tip for hunting.

Nvm...found the answer...:(...what are the top 5 varmint ammunitions in .22 LR? Looking to try several brands to see what the gun shoots best with.

Also, outside of a new stock...is there anything I can do about a scope that sits too high? I don't have any rings on it at all... it's about an inch too high..

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  2. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Bore sight it. Either with a laser, or the old fashioned way. Otherwise take of the scope and try a dot sight maybe? That's what I'm doing.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

3. armadirro

armadirro New Member

If the new stock doesn't have enough elevation on the cheek rest I will probably take that route.

4. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

What chew mean you have no rings on your scope at all?? Got have some if it sits to high. Buy lower rings to cure the problem.

Photos would help too.

Guess you figured out if you have a 22mag 10/22 then yea try the poly tips if they fit the mag. But do have a magnum version or a plan ole .22lr rifle. IF you have a 22lr I don't use HP ammo. I shoot only what shoots best and with stock 10/22 barrel it no telling. Try cci standard , green and mini mags and go from there. Mine aren't stock and I use wolf or sk rifle match for tree rats and other critters like problem ratcoons. .

5. DrFootball

Ammo: My old 10/22 eats just about everything with Std. 10rd. mags. when I use one of the Butler creek ones, that isn't the case. I also have 2 Newer Ruger BX-25's that are Good. Mostly CCI MiniMags(RN not HP), Win Super-X, and the Federal Champions and Federal Auto Match are what we feed all of ours. Many Many Jams with Remington T-Bolts,..but thats the Ammo..My Big 5 is supposed to get Fiocchi "fresh fire" cans In..

6. Fredsixgun

Fredsixgun New Member

I have three 10/22's all like remington copper clad ammo. Hard to find now.. A ruger eats almost all ammo. But likes remington!

7. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

My Remington 597 .22lr (sold it) would jam with most brands of hollow point ammo. The plastic mags were the worst. I bought some remington steel 10rd mags and it seemed to jam (failure to feed and failure to extract) a little less. No experience with a 10/22 and I'm ashamed to say it lol. Been wanting one for a while.

Sent from my HTC One X using Firearms Talk mobile app

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

My 10/22td likes cci stingers. Those are very good varmint rounds.

22lr 10/22 will work with everything 22lr except for subsonics which typically need to be hand cycled.

9. armadirro

armadirro New Member

Sorry I meant no extra rings, just the ones it came with...I don't know how to tell how big they are.

Ill try to get my hands on some extra low scope rings.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  10. DrFootball

The Sub-Sonics and shot shells also need to be hand cycled.

11. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

actually, i was pleasantly surprised to find CCI subsonics function perfectly in my 10/22....:)

had some american eagle cheapos that jammed every 5-10 rounds though.

cci mini mags function above 99% perfect for me in every 22 i've owned..:)..it is all i would buy if i could find it????? :(

12. DrFootball

Could Not find any Mini-Mags in any store or at any Gunshow recently. I have some I the 100 rd. Trays I'm holding on to, but I did find CCI Blazer 22's at the last show. Wanted to grab some more from the Interwebs, but everyone is sold out...my regular federal Am. Eagles are HV(1250 fps)...and through 1600 that I bought( around 800 left) over the last few months, the guns have only jammed on them when the guns are dirty".....
    I have 3 boxes(150) Anguila SSS( sniper sub sonic) I'm saving for when I get a can to go along with a threaded barrel 22...
    Note to self: stay away from the Am. Eagle sub sonics....

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have no issues with Butler Creek magazines or promag magazines in my 10/22 with decent ammo. Using bulk ammo I do have some jams. My secret is washing the magazines with dawn. When plastic magazines are manufactured sawdust and mold release agents are trapped in the magazine. Dawn and some warm water does a great job of "fixing" butler creek and promag magazines.

14. hmh

hmh New Member

All I shot in my 10/22 is cci subsonic hp

15. Chas1

Chas1 New Member

My 2 10/22's love CCI MM's, CCI SV, CCI blazer 40 grain and Federal Auto match as far as the lower end ammo. At 50 YDs or less the CCI SV is the most accurate in mine. They have both had trigger, bolt and barrel reworks by CPC.

I'm starting to get into the higher end 22lR to see how much of a difference it makes. I love the Auto match but unfortunately that's about the only one I've not been axle to find lately.

16. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Blazer bricks are what my 10/22 LOVES and they are so reliable. CCI owns Blazer so, CCI is a great loader!!

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

1) 22lr and 22 magnum are not interchangeable. Revolvers that shoot both have two different cylinders.
    2) Scope rings come in different heights. Get the lowest ones that will clear the rifle.
    3) You can raise the comb/cheek rest on a 10-22 by bending a 6"x6" piece of Kydex in half over a piece of pipe and velcro it on. You can also use double face tape.
    4) PSA has CCI SV 22lr in stock at 10 cents a round. http://palmettostatearmory.com/

18. DrFootball

Aside from the Auto Match, federal also makes Gold Medal Match, and Gold Medal Ultra Match. But if you compete with 22's on a Steady basis,..you will find other then Auto Match, CCI Green Tag is about the best of the Affordable target Ammo. Our First Match is next SAT. And we will be in a Rush, because we also Teach a Photography Class on Saturdays,..so we will have only an Hr. And 10 mins to go from where we teach to Flag(Staff) for the shoot, which is a Late afternoon-Twilight for adults,..and kids are shooting from 9am-2pm...

19. mboylan

mboylan New Member

RWS makes Gold Medal Ultra Match. Federal rebrands it.

20. DrFootball

Thanks,..Yup....just looked at the back of the boxes....