10/22 Aluminum Bull Barrel

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by DukesDad, Apr 25, 2011.

1. DukesDad

DukesDad New Member

Hey all, I've got a 10/22 with a Blackhawk Axiom stock and I want to put a bull barrel on it. But I'm not a fan of the weight of the all steel units. Does anybody have any experience with the Aluminum barrel's with the steel sleeve? I really like the looks of the barrels by Whistle Pig, although Tactical Solution's seems to also make a good option. I did notice the Whistle Pig's offer different lengths too, from 16.5 - 22". I've heard that longer isn't always better on the 10/22's, is there a length that inherently groups the best?
    Sorry for the long thread and the multiple ?'s but any advice would be appreciated.

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Whistle Pig and TacSol make great barrels.
    I built a 10/22 for a friend,and he wanted an octagon barrel.I ordered one from Whistle Pig.It fit great,and shoots pretty good also.
    I like that they have many options for their barrels,and you can build something different than off the shelf aftermarket barrels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

I can't remember what brand it is, but a friend of mine has a steel sleeved bull barrel that's plastic on the outside. I haven't seen him in several years since moving, but still remember it shot well. Personally I think the aluminum outside would be better than plastic although he'd had his for a while and had no complaints.

4. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Volquartzen? Not really "plastic"---they do a barrel with a tensioned
    carbon fiber sleeve.

5. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

The TacSol barrels are excellent. I have not used a Whistle Pig, so have no opinion.