10/22 Aluminum Bull Barrel

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by DukesDad, Apr 25, 2011.

1. DukesDad

DukesDad New Member

Hey all, I've got a 10/22 with a Blackhawk Axiom stock and I want to put a bull barrel on it. But I'm not a fan of the weight of the all steel units. Does anybody have any experience with the Aluminum barrel's with the steel sleeve? I really like the looks of the barrels by Whistle Pig, although Tactical Solution's seems to also make a good option. I did notice the Whistle Pig's offer different lengths too, from 16.5 - 22". I've heard that longer isn't always better on the 10/22's, is there a length that inherently groups the best?
    Sorry for the long thread and the multiple ?'s but any advice would be appreciated.

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Whistle Pig and TacSol make great barrels.
    I built a 10/22 for a friend,and he wanted an octagon barrel.I ordered one from Whistle Pig.It fit great,and shoots pretty good also.
    I like that they have many options for their barrels,and you can build something different than off the shelf aftermarket barrels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

I can't remember what brand it is, but a friend of mine has a steel sleeved bull barrel that's plastic on the outside. I haven't seen him in several years since moving, but still remember it shot well. Personally I think the aluminum outside would be better than plastic although he'd had his for a while and had no complaints.

4. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Volquartzen? Not really "plastic"---they do a barrel with a tensioned
    carbon fiber sleeve.

5. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

The TacSol barrels are excellent. I have not used a Whistle Pig, so have no opinion.