1 shot, 1 kill, w/ a .223

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by bigred61, Oct 14, 2013.

1. bigred61

bigred61 New Member

First off I want to thank everyone who contributed to the discussion about the question I was asking about what grain for a whitetail.. Everyone's comments were greatly appreciated and it helped me make an informed decision.

So I went out this morning, and some of my buds were supposed to come, but it all fell through. I was a bit nervous being on my as I had never been out hunting prior to this season, turns out though, everything was just fine.

Had my first kill this morning, used my .223 AR with a 64 grain Winchester. The doe dropped within about 10yd of where I hit her. It was at about 150yds. The bullet passed clean through both lungs and the heart. I was pretty amped after it happened. Needed to sit for about 10min for my hands to stop shaking so I could carry it out. Again thanks for all the feedback everyone gave!

As I found her
    [​IMG]

The tool used for the job
    [​IMG]

I hope this is not too graphic for the forum, but wanted to show the shot damage. this was the exit side.
    [​IMG]

Thanks again!

Ashton

2. orangello

orangello New Member

Excellent! Less food for the bears.

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

4. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Congrats on a good clean kill.

5. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Congrats! Nice shot nice deer

6. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Good Job!

Quite the rush eh.

...and nice hit for your first deer.

Tack

7. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

AMAZING shot placement brother. Nice kill!!!

8. bigred61

bigred61 New Member

Thanks guys! I am going to let it sit for a few days and butcher it up on Wednesday. I am going to try and make venison ham, sausage and jerky mostly. My dad is coming to visit in December and has often commented how much he likes venison ham, so I am hoping to surprise him.

@molonlabex - once I decided I was going to use my AR for my first hunt I started practicing, a lot! I think I put about 800 rounds or so down range in the last month. I practiced different firing positions, snap firing, and really just tried to make shot placement as second nature as possible. I attribute the shot placement to luck a bit though, I made the shot standing and did not have a chance to get my sling wrapped around my arm.

Ashton

9. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Good job and perfect shot placement. Congrats.
    ct

10. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member Supporter

Nice clean shot sir! Good choice on a proper hunting bullet always helps. And never underestimate the hunters skill in knowing when NOT to take a shot! ;)

11. bigred61

bigred61 New Member

To true! Since opening day I had and passed up 3 or so shots, range did not feel right, time of day, and so on.

Ashton

12. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Good thinking, best way to get clean venison is to quarter it and let it sit in ice for about 4 days with the plugs pulled on the chests. Add ice every day so they stay covered.

13. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

What type of winchester bullet? I picked up some power points in 64 grain the other day but don't know about using them, but the price was right so I picked em up. I usually use fusion in my 223 for deer...

14. bigred61

bigred61 New Member

Yup those are the ones I used. I bought 2 boxes of them, kept one for practice and for hunting. After I had sighted in my AR with some 55 grain rounds I checked my sighting with the 64 grain. At 100 yds I really did not notice a difference in accuracy, how ever at 200 yds I was about 1 to 1.5 inches lower that the 55 grain. I felt like the drop was acceptable.

Ashton

15. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

Nice shooting and thank you for the update on what type of winchester it was. Nothing like the adrenaline rush of harvesting an animal you plan to eat. Great shot placement. Congrats to you sir.

16. hmh

hmh New Member

I did have a smart a$$ comment about what people say about the "lack of power" of a .223 but it didn't seem appropriate. Congratulations nice deer.

17. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Nice shot placement. Good job on your hunt!

18. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Congrats man. From your first to a hundred the thrill is always the same. Varies in intensity a little but will drive you for years to come. Welcome to the brotherhood of hunters.