09-11-2001 where were you?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by ShagNasty1001, Sep 11, 2013.

1. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I was in 3rd grade. All I really remember is walking home from school that day and my mom being on our driveway waiting and as soon as I rounded the corner to our street, she ran and hugged me crying and I had no idea what was going on

2. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

I was watching tv.
    When the news broke into the program.
    Took a while for me to grasp the, "What the ****" is this.
    Those folks are in my prayers.
    As are the scum that caused this,
    I pray they burn forever.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

3. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I was still in the USAF, stationed in the UK at RAF Lakenheath. What a day. Went to FPCON Delta (essentially base lockdown) and we started launching air defense sorties over Southern England.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I was pulling a 400' deep pump by hand. The owner of the house called me in to watch. I called my boss and asked if I could go home and he told me to go screw myself. I spent another 4 hours pulling, repairing and then dropping the stupid pump before I could get out of there and check on my family.
    My brothers wife was lucky to have missed her plane. My mother was stranded at a lighthouse for 4 days. Everyone else was fine.

5. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I was at Ramstein AB. I remember someone coming in to the office to tell me. I rushed home to see the news. I knew we were going to Delta. It was my first experience seeing an installation going into real world Delta. Very interesting experience.

6. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I walked to work and when I walked into my office turned the radio on like any other normal day. Just after I turned the radio on they said there was a report of a small plane hitting one of the world trade towers. I called my GF and told her to turn the boob tube on and see what they were saying. Just as she turned it on the 2nd plane hit the other tower. This was in Colorado Springs and not long after they grounded all flights. It was strange to say the least not hearing some sort of air craft taking off or landing other than a military jet leaving out of Peterson AFB on occasion.

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

I was in 8th grade and home sick for the day. My mom woke me up right after the first tower hit. We watched in fear as the second tower hit and reports started coming in.

No one was talking "terrorism" or "attacks" yet on the news, but my mom turned to me after the Pentagon was hit and said, "They just got the economic center of the world and the military center of the world."

If I had been 17, I would have walked into a recruiters office that day and enlisted.

8. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

My wife called me while we were both at work. She works at a nuclear power plant and they immediately went on lock down.... she told me what happened. I pulled up a live feed in the company atrium and watched video (might have been live...I don't remember) of the 2nd plane hitting. My boss came in and I told him what was happening.... "Are you joking??" he asked me almost hopefully that was the case.... I replied "I wish to God I was."

On the way home that day all I could think about was how many spouses, children and pets would be waiting for someone to come home that night.... It still makes me choke up to this day.

...Over a decade on and we are still at war with the people who's mindset was responsible for that day... We still warehouse the supposed 'enemies' while others we should be watching get a pass at home and abroad... we've lost some damn fine people who went to fight... we are still paying out the nose for gas.... and the President wonders why he can't get support for another military action??? :confused:

9. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was younger then. And I agree, if I was of age at the time, I would have but now I am and am going to in the next few weeks. Ironically, my dad joined the navy September 10, 2001..

10. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

I was at work and heard a customer screaming when the first plane hit and then the second scream for the next plane. We were in shock as to what was happening.

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

I had just walked into my 11th grade spanish II class, and a classmate told me a plane hit the world trade center and it was a terrorist attack. I said there was no way. We're the most powerful country on earth, no one would do that. There must be some mistake.

Then the teacher turned on the news. We watched live as the second plane hit.

My oldest sister worked right there near the WTC, and used the basement subway station to get to work. I was in a dead panic wondering if she was okay. Turned out, her birthday being tomorrow (the 12th), her friends had thrown her a surprise party on the 10th. She woke up on 9/11, was hungover and tired from staying up late, had forgotten some papers and had to turn around and go home to get them. Completely missed her train.

I just walked out of school with my head down. Drove home and called her over and over until I finally got through and she told me all about it. She'd caught another train, and it had to stop in the tunnel and back up. She came out of the subway station just a few blocks away right as the towers started falling. I could hear it in the background over the phone.

12. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

I was in 4th grade. I live on the west coast so I was sleeping when it happened, but my mom told me what happened when I woke up. She had made breakfast and I sat there eating while she told me. I didn't really get it at first. I was in 4th grade and had no idea what the world trade centers were and didn't understand the significance of it. When they started coming out with details about it being a terrorist attack (another concept new to me) my friends and I couldn't believe it. Even at 11 years old we were like wtf??? That doesn't happen here. America doesn't get attacked.

I remember going into class that morning and my teacher telling us what happened, and she was crying. That in itself was very strange. I'd never seen a teacher cry and I still haven't to this day.

It's crazy how different the world is after just twelve years. It sucks. I feel for the older guys on here because you guys have a clearer view of just how much the world has changed for the worse. And not just in the last 12 years.

13. orangello

orangello New Member

I was at work, in the Tax Commission district office. The boss went home and brought back a TV that sat on the counter all day replaying the sad events.

I called my mother to find out if my cousin was still working in the pentagon; she said he was and that his father was checking into whether he was at work or what. Lucky for him, his kid was sick. I later found out that the office he used was in a deeper ring of the pentagon but adjacent to the area hit by the plane (which was, IIRC, being renovated).

It did remind me of the day Reagan was shot and the day of the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster (to a lesser degree) as far as the utter shock most people seemed to be in (I was in school for each of those). The aftereffects of these other two events seem more delayed than the post 9/11 changes.

(I have not flown since; didn't much like it beforehand.)

14. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

ON 9/11/01 I was A Sp. ed. HS teacher & Asst. Dean at a school in lower Manhattan. I was Dating the Mz. only a few months, and was living over in Astoria, Queens, not too far from LGA. Airport. and the old Shea Stadium. I was teaching 1st period that day, in one of the classes I had been lobbying for, Digital photography, when one of the school safety officers came into my class(I thought he was coming to tell me I needed to put my dean's hat back on, but Officer milton came to tell me about a plane hitting the WTC which we could see from the school's roof,...so we took the class upstairs and were frozen in shock to see one tower burning....then to see the second plane hit....
    Not long afterwards I collapsed on the roof,..and it was thought that I was having a stroke, but when I was taken to the Hospital by Police car, we discovered that I had Bell's Palsy and the stress of the days events had forced it to surface...

15. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

i was in a hotel room with my girlfriend who is now my wife celebrating her birthday which is 9-11.

16. JW357

JW357 New Member

This is a pretty chilling thread. Obviously we all need to never forget 9/11 and the circumstances of that day, and the events since. I think its a good thread, just chilling.

17. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

I was in 1st grade and I can't really remember it all that good, but I remember seein the 2nd tower hit live on TV. I didn't really understand it at that time, but I knew it was something big cause everyone talked about it.

18. davva360

davva360 New Member

I was at work. I worked in a Sears call center at the time. I was in the break room watching the TV when the second plane hit. As soon as it became obvious it was terrorism calls into the center came to a virtual standstill and they let a lot of people go home.

I will never forget that day.

19. ACES 6

ACES 6 New Member

I was a public and government relations executive back then, and the night before the attacks I had hosted a political fundraiser/party in my hometown of Fort Worth, TX. On the morning of the 11th I had a pretty nasty hangover, but I had an important client meeting at my office at 9AM. Headache to blame, I got out of bed, showered, and went to work without turning on the radio. When I got to the office, my team and my clients were all in the conference room watching the news. I was mortified to say the very least.

The next week I went to the recruiting office and started the process of joining the Army. Been in uniform ever since. I don’t make what I used to, but my family understood the sacrifice and still does.

A tragic day twelve years ago that forever altered our lives.

20. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

My dad was driving me to school. I was in 5th grade. He got really serious once he heard the news. I didnt really understand why at the time. My first thought was "how do you accidently fly a plane into a building that tall?" Then the second one hit and things became a little more clear.