.02 cents for the small soda bottles and .05 for the big ones.

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Vincine, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I don’t really think the social order will collapse all at once. At least I hope not. I think it’s more likely the US will ‘de-evolve’ over time to the way things were before we became a consumer economy. Perhaps it will be a little faster on the ‘return trip’.

I received this from a friend of mine:
    --
    In the line at the store, the cashier told the older woman that she should bring her own grocery bag because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.

The woman apologized to him and explained, "We didn't have the green thing back in my day." The clerk responded, "That's our problem today. The former generation did not care enough to save our environment."

He was right, that generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, they returned their milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.

But they didn't have the green thing back in that customer's day.

In her day, they walked up stairs, because they didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. They walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time they had to go two blocks.

But she was right. They didn't have the green thing in her day.

Back then, they washed the baby's diapers because they didn't have the throw-away kind. They dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts - wind and solar power really did dry the clothes. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.

But that old lady is right, they didn't have the green thing back in her day.

Back then, they had one TV, or radio, in the house - not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief, not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen, they blended and stirred by hand because they didn't have electric machines to do everything for you.
    When they packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, they used a wadded up old newspaper to cushion it, not styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.

Back then, they didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. They used a push mower that ran on human power. They exercised by working so they didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

But she's right, they didn't have the green thing back then.

They drank from a fountain when they were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time they had a drink of water. They refilled their writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and they replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But they didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. They had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And they didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful the
    old folks were just because they didn't have the green thing back then?
    --
    If I recall, it was .02 cents for the small soda bottles and .05 for the big ones.

Vini

2. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

(Standing ovation) BRAVO!

Sent from my HTC using FirearmsTalk

3. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Wow, everybodys right, I really must be old fashioned..... :p
    I dont throw my shaver away, its a straight razor (you get a way better shave),
    I use a fountain pen (they write so much smoother),
    have a old skool push mower (I live in AZ, I really dont have much of a lawn to mow!),
    theres only one TV in my house and dont pay for any programing,
    I reuse water bottles (I have my own well, and dont like "processed" water)
    I live 50 miles from "town" so I cant really give up the car, I have horses but hay is insane down here like $17.00 a bale! I dont think I would make a 100 mile trip on a bike to well.... I do like my compulateor though, ever since I lost my job its how ive been making money, Im not livin rich by any means but its keeping me off the govt's teet and payin bills.... Ive never thought of it being "green"

Oh yeah, I recycle my cans too! I wish I got $.02 per can....

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  4. OC357

OC357 New Member

In the old days when your tv broke you called the tv repairman. There is no tv repairman today. You just throw it out in the trash and get a new one. Nothing is repaired or fixable any more.

And way too many things come in plastic that you just about need a chain saw and bowie knife to get into and the plastic and styrofoam is not recyclable. There was none of that years ago.

Great post Vincine.

OC

5. colmustard

colmustard New Member

nice and sad at the same time, and just think all those hippies have been putting down their parents for not being (green) what a load of crap! :)

6. Vincine

Vincine New Member

You're in the vanguard. You're going to be followed by an army of people in five to ten years.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

And to think that my Grandma used to wash and save her tin foil! :rolleyes:

8. towboater

towboater Active Member

Great post. Appreciate you taking the time for it.

9. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Rose tinted glasses?

There were a lot of bad things about the old days too. I hope nobody thinks I’m seeing them through rose tinted glasses.

I’m hoping that with the additional hindsight we have now, that we didn’t have before, we can be more judicious in our use of resources, technology and development of policies & procedures. That we will use new technology appropriately instead of mindlessly chasing shareholder value to have wealth just for the sake of wealth, if only because we have no choice.

Especially as the wheel, as the initial post described, has already been invented. It’s not like we don’t know what to do.

It seems to me that the trouble started when those who knew the lessons of the depression started dying off. It’s unfortunate that they’ll likely be another generation or two coming after us, which has to learn the lessons first hand all over again.

Sheesh!

10. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Indeed. Great post Vincine. It speaks volumes. :cool:

TU

11. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Great thread Vini.

12. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Thanks Vini, funny, your not the first to tell me that... I always thought I was behind the curve not ahead of it...... For me it just seems the attitude of today is just about making money as fast as possible.. Wheres the pride people used to have? (not ego, theres plenty of that!)
    As far the things I listed in my previous post, Ive found the old stuff to be built better and require less maintenance, for instance my push mower requires nothing but to be sharpened and oiled once in awhile and my razor just needs a strop before each use.
    Most of the time "Modern" bites me in the butt...

I use to be a sawsmith and we had a quote hung on the wall "The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the cheap is forgotten" and its so true, I see it everywhere, most everything today is made cheap or to be thrown away. Its even in the attitude of people, is seems they just do their job and dont really care how as long as their getting paid.
    I like to have pride in what I do, and do it to the best of my ability, even if it takes a little longer and costs a little more. Ive found it ends up taking less time and money in the long run. It just turns out better.

I gotta ask Vini.. Does you avatar have anything to do with the Fibonacci Sequence? I dont know why but it makes me think of it....

13. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Yes, there was a time when people exchanged value for money.

But then it became less costly to create wealth out of thin air. (Licensing Logos anyone? Repackaging securities anyone? Junk bonds anyone?) This was fueled by the perceived status of wealth by people raised on trips to the ersatz America of Disneyland who never knew the real thing. $100 jeans with rips and tears are bought by people who wouldn’t know authenticity if it hit them with a bat. They’ve nothing in their financial experience that was real. For them perception is reality. They don’t know the difference between wealth and the appearance of wealth. Thus they go for the house they can’t afford because they don’t know what it means to afford something.

When you add the effects of the promotion machine, the people who didn’t think for themselves didn’t stand a chance.

Corporations need to make throw away things because if they don’t, they’d be no more sales, no more profit, no more gravy train.

And yes, the Golden Rectangle/Spiral and the Fibonacci spiral might as well be identical twins and are widely observed in nature. I decided to use it as I am a pantheist, apparently. Who knew?

PS. I used to work in a sawmill. Ward Lumber. I was the OSHA guy.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  14. shadamai

shadamai New Member

Very true. Interesting post!

15. Gus556

Gus556 New Member

$17 a BALE???

HOOOOOOOLLLLLLLYYYYYYYY SHEEEEEEEEE-IT!!:eek:

$1.75 / bale here. Of course we get 3 cuttins in per year also.

16. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Yeah tell me about it... :( I guess all the fires burned some of the ranches and drove up the price.... It wasnt much better before ... about 14 bucks a bale..