02-22

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by mowgli, Mar 8, 2012.

1. mowgli

mowgli New Member

i am picking up a winchester model 02-22 short, built inc between 1914-1919. patented 1899, the gun says long and extra long on it wondering what all rounds it is chambered for. believe it takes shorts & longs but unsure about extra longs or if there is such a thing. thanks mowgli

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Extra longs are long rifle. Dont shoot the hv long rifles through it. Use standard alor low velocity lr. Or just stick w longs.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Actually extra longs were just that Extra long. They were longer than regular 22 long rifles. Like Marlinman says don't use high velocity stuff in your old gun. So use standard velocity or weaker ( like CB's). Those are kinda cute little rifles.

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Realized that many had never seen a 22 Extra long so here is what they look like.
    .22 Mag, 22 Special, 22 Extra Long, 22 LR, 22 Long, and 22 Short

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      30.2 KB
      Views:
  5. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Just learned something new......i didnt know that. Makes sense now why my mentor said you could shoot the extra long 22 through a 22 mag chambered rifle/revolver

6. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Sweet. Do they still make .22 special? Ive never heard of it before.

7. mowgli

mowgli New Member

Thanks for all the help guys, this gun is going to be for my son when he's old enough so i will be sure to stick to standard velocity or weaker

8. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

"mentor said you could shoot the extra long 22 through a 22 mag chambered rifle/revolver"
    I suppose you could make 22 Extra Longs go off in a 22 mag but the case is smaller diameter(like a 22 LR). Actually the 22 Extra Longs are so old the ones I've tried only about 10% or less would shoot.

"Do they still make .22 special? Ive never heard of it before. "
    Its been on again off again manufacturing. I think they are making them now again. You can shoot 22 specials in a 22 mag.

9. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Cool. If I ever get a .22 mag, I'll have to get some to try. :D

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya sorry had them out of order in your pic there high wall. Sorry to confuse it.

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

.22 Special was also called the .22 WRF- Winchester Rimfire- and it is sort of a .22 Mag Short- with a lead bullet instead of a jacketed bullet. There was also a .22 Winchester Auto, and a few other EARLY auto rifle catridges- rimfire, but do NOT interchange with .22 LR.

12. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

In that case cci makes 22 "special" bird shot