007's compact .22 rifle? legality...

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by freeballer, Sep 15, 2012.

1. freeballer

freeballer New Member

ok. bear with me a second. I hope I'm still making sense at 2am.

In one of the bond films Q gives him this compact rifle.. no idea what calibre
    and he has to use it later. It basically broke down into the stock.. Maybe its a little far-fetched for it all to collapse into the stock but it had me thinking about survival weapons. I keep a bug out bag, and medical/survival kit inside my car. One of these compact rifles would be great in a survival situation...

But I can't find anything by searching "compact .22 rifle" on google, or the forum. I'm guessing they DO exist.. and if so, what are the legalities of a weapon like this in Canada?

Maybe i'm just looking for the wrong thing? Or maybe its the 2am talking.... lol dunno. But I'd appreciate the help

Geoff

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Colt AR7 now made by Henry. His was supposed to be a .25 but it is a 22lr. It will float and is marketed as a survival rifle.

3. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

check out the Henry Survival Rifle Ar-7 I believe. should come up under Henry Survival Rifle

4. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Actually, it was an Armalite AR-7. Colt never made them.

5. cnorman18

cnorman18 New Member

I keep one in the trunk of my car with 100 rnds of ammo. I like it.

About 30 years ago, I had an "Explorer" piston built on the same action. It superficially resembled a Broomhandle Mauser, especially if you used an extended magazine. I designed a simple full-auto conversion for it, and built it; it worked, but from then on the gun was ONLY full-auto. Fun, but not worth the wrath of the ATF. Long since gone to the dump.

6. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

After Armalite, Charter Arms picked up the AR 7 design. They made the pistol version.

7. cnorman18

cnorman18 New Member

That's right. It was pretty well made before I ruined it. It was an interesting exercise anyway.

8. freeballer

freeballer New Member

nice! thank you for getting back to me on that.

seems like a decent gun to have just in case.

9. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Henry survival .22.

10. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Ruger has a 10/22 breakdown model now. All the reviews I've read have been good.

Also google, "bicycle rifle". It is a very utilitarian firearm.

11. freeballer

freeballer New Member

yeah. alot of good reviews on the ruger. I wonder how hard it might be to find around here

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

The 10/22 takedown is superb. Got one and its every bit the typical 10/22 superior acduracy in a small breakdown package. Comes with a nice softcase that has storage for 6 bx25 mags or a bunch of boxes of ammo.

Mine is typically in my truck in its case with mags at the ready.

13. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Gunbroker's got quite a few of them listed for sale.

It's in my short list.

14. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

i sold my charter arms AR-7 after less than a year. yeah it looked cool & you felt like a badass assembling it at the range but the novelty of putting it together wore off fast and in my opinion, took too long to do.

reliability was hit or miss at best, i never did find an ammo it liked. with standard bulk ammo it became a straight pull bolt action, they didn't have enough oomph against the heavy springs to eject the shell or reset the hammer.

i hear the henry's are better quality then all the other makers but i don't think i'd buy another

15. cnorman18

cnorman18 New Member

I have a Henry; never had a problem with it. I keep in in the spare tire well of my trunk with 100 rounds of ammo. You never know...