00 or 000 For Hog Medicine?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by WannaGator, Jun 7, 2010.

1. WannaGator

WannaGator New Member

Hey Y'all.

I saw these "Magnum" 2& 3/4 inch 12 gauge shells with 12 00 pellets would these be good "Hog Medicine" or would 000 be better?

I am thinking about Hunt'n from a Blind near a corn feeder so all shots would be close range.

2. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

If you hit em right, either load will send them to hog heaven.

3. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

Hogs are pretty much fair game anywhere any time of year are they not? If so that would be fun to hunt! Pretty tasty as well I imagine.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

If it's that close, what about using slugs instead?

5. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I got to tell you that hunting hogs with dogs, can't get much better than that and yum yum.

6. m72law

m72law New Member

i would agree with ca357...a slug will take about anything in north america...unless you break into a zoo and try'em out on rino's or elephants...the right shot placment should take either one...put you might have to be standing closer than i would even if there was a fence..:Di got very close to a bison...heres the pic...

Attached Files:

7. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

LOL, that looks like a statue...

8. blackhawk45

blackhawk45 New Member

m72law,you got BALLZ !!!!!!

9. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

WG,

I would not use either 00 or 000 when I have the option of a slug at close distances for hunting. There are some incredible slugs on the market in 2-3/4, 3 and 3-1/2" shells. Not very pricey.

Here's the thought: Hogs are tough to take down, and once wounded...
    A close (under 50-60 yards) well placed shot with a slug will have enough penetration along with energy transfer will take it down. At 40+ yards with 00 or 000 it starts to become a crap shoot. You have little control over where the balls go with shot. Jmho.

10. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'm with skully, I would go for a good slug before buckshot. Even with just a front bead it isn't hard to become relatively accurate(good enough for what your doing) with a little practice.

11. freefall

freefall New Member

Another vote for slugs.

12. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Guy, if you want to take all the fun and adventure out of the hunt, maybe he should just buy those pork chops at Walmart. That way he could get real close without the danger. I know guys that hunt black bears with 00 buck. Now that's an adventure.

13. WannaGator

WannaGator New Member

I will have another hunter armed with a 30-06 sittin' near me as last resort backup.

Back up II is shots 2-8 12 gauge 00/000 Buck or shots 1-6 .357 158 grain JSP/ or 200 grain Hardcast lead.

I have less than 1 year to weigh slugs or 00/000 Buck, next hunt is May 2011 in FLA.

When it comes 'ta Hogs Kill 'Em All & Let GOD sort them out, no meat goes to waste here.

14. freefall

freefall New Member

You want adventure, I have a brother in law killed a black bear with a knife. I don't need that much adventure. I have to deal with him every now and then, that's adventure enough for me. I go hunting a big mean critter, I want something going to blow a big mean hole in it.

15. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

I vote slugs. Less holes and lead in the meat.

16. freefall

freefall New Member

What's the fascination with buckshot? Why not use a 4" .357? We all think they're adequate for large angry humans, try them on large angry animals. Sounds like you have plenty of backup if things get more adventurous than you want.

17. WannaGator

WannaGator New Member

Fellers I will be Hunt'n for about 3-4 days so I want to try a variety of options.

I want Y'all to know I am hearin' all of your opinions and considering them and appreciate them immensely.

Day One: Will be very up close from a blind so shots will be 12 gauge shotgun or .357 Magnum.

Day Two: Will call for farther away shots so I will use .243 Win rifle.

Day 3: I will be brush bust'n so I will carry a 12 Gauge, backed up by a Glock 29 10MM or .357 Magnum snubby.

Day 4: (If necessary) We will be Hunt'n with dogs and they will push Hogs to us so I will use my .243 Win.

18. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Ya, I see what you are saying, but That .243 is not close to what I would choose, buckshot either, a .357 w/ the right ammo and barrel legnth.
    A 12ga w/ slugs, even a .30-30 lever would be better than a .243. You need mass weight to anchor them on the 1st shot. I would not want a guide to finish off my animal. I am having a similar conversation on another forum about the .358 Winchester in a Savage 99 at 300 yards as it seems to be an elk killer. :eek:
    6.5x55 is the smallest I would use on decent sized pigs. Even then a partition or Barnes TXP would be the bullet if I'm on the ground. Do you own kevlar pants?
    They are hot, but will save your ass.

19. montveil

montveil New Member

Slugs will do the job but just in case you don't do the job with the slugs and you are faced with a charging mad hog I think I would opt for the 00 buck as a last effort at 25 yards

20. 753X0

753X0 New Member

+1, sorry I don't have any comments, but montveil summed it up very well.