Wood or composite

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by roostershooter, Nov 27, 2013.

1. roostershooter

roostershooter New Member

Are wood or composite stocks more valuable over time? Assuming they are both well taken care of.

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc New Member

Over time, the wood stock will take on a patina that synthetics don't get. But wood is more easily damaged by the elements. A lot will depend on how the gun is used and cared for.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

Depends on the quality of the wood and the work that went into the finishing

4. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

for accuracy, durability and reduced recoil: synthetic all the way in my experience. If your rifle is a tool and not an 'admire piece', this is your best bet

best looking? wood without a doubt. this is why I have a cabinet full of rifles......some are lookers and some are not

5. sandog

sandog New Member

More valuable ? To the owner, or for possible re-sale? A good synthetic certainly has numerous advantages, more durability with rough usage, less sensitive to warpage affecting point of impact, less prone to show cosmetic "dings". Only in looks is a nice wood stock preferable. For resale, it would depend on the quality of either type of stock, and what the prospective new owner is planning to use it for. A high dollar synthetic like an H-S precision or McMillan would certainly add more value to a rifle than a cheapo synthetic.

6. roostershooter

Thank you all for your opinions. I think I'll go with the synthetic stock. It's my sons first 22 so he will likely beat it up anyways. Next question... Semi auto or bolt action for a young shooter stepping up from the red Ryder. Looking at the Ruger American compact or the 10/22 carbine.

7. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

For a young shooter I would recommend the bolt action. Cycling the bolt between shots seems to help one focus more on each shot, trigger pull, sight pic. etc.

My dad started me with a 22 lever action many moons ago. I think that if it had been a semi auto I wouldn't have concentrated on basics as much as I did.

8. TLuker

TLuker New Member

That's pretty much what I was thinking as well. :)

9. sandog

sandog New Member

A very nice bolt action .22 is the 452 CZ Scout. A shorter, cheaper wood stock and 16" barrel, but the same excellent action and trigger as the bigger CZ's. CZ is no longer selling them as they have gone to the 455 model, but you can still find them used. They have almost a cult following by adults ( myself included), as a VERY accurate carbine to keep in the back seat of the truck or on a 4-wheeler. All a bigger person has to do is extend the stock for comfortable shooting by adding a slip on pad. A youngster will NEVER outgrow one of these as he would with a Rascal, Chipmunk or other cheapie kids .22, They come with a single shot clip for starting out, when he gets to be junior high or high school size, add a pad onto the stock and give him some 5 or 10 round magazines and he will enjoy it for decades more. When he has kids of his own, he can take the slip on pad off, and put the single shot adapter back in and re new the cycle. Mine ( and many others as well), shoots decent ammo into one hole at 25 yards, 3/8ths to 1/2" at 50, and 1" groups at 100 yards. Here are some pics of mine with a Redfield Revolution 2-7x Accurange in Talley rings. Top target w/ Federal Automatch are all 10 shot groups. Check out the CZ section on rimfirecentral.com for more discussion of the awesome CZ scout.

Attached Files:

10. 303tom

303tom New Member

Wood !..................

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yes, for a young boy and his first "real" gun, synthetic bolt action.

Synthetic because of the durability.

Bolt action because not only does it encourage a child to focus more on each shot, but it's also a bit safer for a youngun who can be so easily distracted.

Imagine this scenario: little boy and daddy out shooting cans in the back forty. Boy is trying and missing with each shot. Then he hits one and flips it high into the air.

He's going to be excited. He may spin around to ask daddy if he saw it.

Now, this is obviously a moment where dangerous handling has to be addressed, and I'm assuming you've already been teaching him how to handle a gun. But the attention span of a young kid is short.

So, in light of something like this happening, would you rather it be a bolt action and you know the chamber is now empty except for a casing, or would you rather it be a semi auto where you know a fresh live round just cycled into the chamber?

12. WhelanLad

WhelanLad New Member

Ya need one of each for certain... and also a nice wood grain delux model of some sort :)

i lov my ruger woodstock but treat it as if it was plastic...
    love the plas Abolt stock..gets treated like crap but luvs it

wl

13. roostershooter

Thanks for your input ! Sandog I will check out that CZ it looks like a sharp gun. I purchased the new Ruger American bolt action 22 LR in the compact version. This is also a gun that can grow with my son . The safety factor sold me on the bolt action as well as the fact he will have to stop between shots and evaluate what he has done. Can't wait till Christmas.

14. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Glad you made the choice. Congrats, getting your first firearm is a memory he will probably keep with him the rest of his life, like most of us have. Great Christmas for both of you,