Why?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Axxe55, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

does anyone else notice that some members post a few times and then are never heard from again?

do they just join to find out some specific information, and then just disappear, never to be heard from again?

2. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Ummm, yeah, I think so....pretty sure.

Why don't we go through and weed out the members with a low post count who haven't posted in a certain time period? (Don't worry Axxxe, you're fine.):D

3. Axxe55

it's like they just have specific concern or question, and get the answer and then never come back.

granted when i joined the forum, it was about guns in specific, but i stayed because of the members and the social type atmosphere. if not for FTF, i probably wouldn't have any friends!:eek:

4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool New Member

If my first post received some of the responses I have seen, I would not have returned. I have been guilty of this as well. :eek: I plan to try to restrain myself in the future. No promises. ;)

5. Axxe55

no offense and none taken!:p

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc New Member

I've joined other specialty forums when researching things or getting ready to buy something, then dropped out.

7. Axxe55

i think many here did the same thing. i know i did personally. but some just get what information they can or need and then disappear. some of us stay around.

8. Defiant_one

Defiant_one New Member

I've done that

because perhaps that forum didn't hold my interest...but if I LIKE a forum, you are stuck with me..LOL. Guess where FTF fell?

I was on audiokarma.org for years...

9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Active Member

I think some people join the forum just to try to start a fight. Then they move on. There is one guy that had 30 posts over a period of like 2 years. I simply followed his post by encouraging him to post more. He ended up sending me a nasty pm. I don't know what is wrong with people.

10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member

I guess I could understand them wanting information from probably the "Best Weapons Forum" and whos members are the most knowledgeable. But what really agrivates me is when they come on post a thread with a question and never respond to the members who have provided them with the information they requested?\! Never to be heard from again! Even a "Thank You" would be appreciated!;)

11. Axxe55

that's kind of what i'm talking about. really. if a person posts a question, and people go through the effort of making suggestions or giving advice or explaining things so that person can make an informed decision, they should at least say thank you.

12. artbrownsr

artbrownsr Forum Chaplain

I've searched (Googled ) for specific info on say MILSURPS and been directed to a forum or blog get the answer and may be post a couple times to clarify or enhance the info, then left. some forums have kept my interest so THEY get stuck with me twisting their words and thoughts.

13. jakebrake

jakebrake New Member

they inherited a gun, didn't know squat about it, got the info they needed, and sold it...

or

they were interested in a particular gun, picked brains till they got the yea/nea info they needed...

or

got a bad vibe from someone...

or

their wife got mad they were on the forum so much

14. jakebrake

jakebrake New Member

Axxe...that'd be too much like...I dunno...work, or something.

15. Axxe55

i belong to many different forums and anytime i have posted a question seeking information or advice, even if i don't interact socially there like i do here, i always thanked those who took the time and effort to help me out with advice or suggestions that might be helpful.

on a Dodge forum i was on, i had a problem with the climate control system on my truck. there was a recall for it to be reprogrammed with a new software update. i took it in to the dealership and they said it couldn't be done and was going to cost about $700-800 to repair it. i posted the issue and the recall number and two Dodge techs told me and showed me with pictures what the issue was and showed how to repair the issue. less than an hours worth of labor and no money spent on parts, and my truck was fixed. it sure as heck didn't cost $700-800 to fix. i thanked both those guys for helping me out and saving me a buttload of money.

16. RevJammer

RevJammer New Member

Axxe,

I may be one of those people you are talking about... not sure...

I have been a member for over two years and this is only my 70th post. I don't remember what the impetus was for me to come here originally, but I actually purchased a subscription at some point.

Most of the time I pop in, scan new posts, glean some it of info, and move on. Occaisionally I will have a question about a particular firearm, and will take advantage of the knowledge here. There have been times I haven't checked in here for a couple of months.

Having said all that, I do enjoy and appreciate the forum and all of the input I have received from here!

RJ

17. Axxe55

i was more referring to those with say ten or less posts and never come back. i have seen some zombie threads come back to life, and the OP made two or three posts and never was seen again.

for some, this forum is like another social media. some of us interact here rather than Facebook or Twitter.

18. artbrownsr

artbrownsr Forum Chaplain

Just a note here RJ, if you post on a thread the thread will follow you on your email when some one else posts so you can be updated on events, solutions to problems, or just follow a conversation.

19. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Or you might lower your expectations. This is a parallel universe, it's all virtual. The thank yous, the likes, it's not your real life. There are a couple folks psychologically addicted, they live here socially, fight trolls, exorcize demons. Just have fun debating. A category 5 s..tstorm here will not move a hair in the solar system :)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  20. Axxe55

yes. you can go to the control panel and set up those preferences in your edit options if you want an email notification to your posts.

good call Art.