Why Not Get a Colt LE6920?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by henryfrank, Oct 26, 2013.

1. henryfrank

henryfrank New Member

I am almost made up on which AR-15 I am going to get first and am looking very strongly at the Colt LE6920 with Magpul furniture. However, I am very new to the AR world so want to know what reasons there are not to get it and what I should get instead. Is this a good option?

So far, the only con I can see is the carbine-length gas system. How big of a downside is this? Is there anything else I'm missing?

Please note that I cannot build an AR in my current situation.

Thank you!

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

nothing wrong with the colt. my pref is for the bcm guns. no building necessary. find a complete lower slap a bcm upper on it.

my only beef with colt is they dont come in midlength. i just prefer the smoother recoil impulse of the midlength. to me its noticable.

3. henryfrank

henryfrank New Member

Is the Daniel Defense any better? It's about $200 more for the DD V7.

4. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

In my opinion, Id go DD Mid length, Colt, then whatever else. Mid length is nice, but isnt a bad thing if you get a carbine. That is how they were designed I believe.

5. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

Colt, BCM, and Daniel Defense all make great rifles. They're all great choices.

6. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

Forgot about BCM. Scratch that. DD, BCM, then Colt. Negligible difference though really. Imo. Also, I know you said no building, but Im just curious as to why? Time? Tools?

7. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

You know.....I build and sell rifles for a living. Just saying. :cool:

8. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAR-15
    Weren't the carbine length actions built to be used with shorter barrels than are legal for normal purchase? I also find the midlength to be noticeably smoother. Do Colts still use larger pins? That would kinda limit after purchase parts replacement.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  9. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

Nice thing about a Colt is it tends to hold it's value.

I have a 6920 and 6940, and it would take $$$$ to make me want to part with them....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Colt is not a bad rifle.

I think at times there have been some corners cut and they've skated by on name recognition alone, they seem to be in a constant state of bankruptcy (which can impact QC decisions), and they don't offer midlength gas systems. Those are the reasons I don't buy Colt. But I'm not about to state that their rifles aren't good enough. They probably are. I just believe (given all stated information) that there are better options for me.

Basically, I think Colt's AR-15s are generally pretty solid. But I trust neither their business decisions nor the resulting quality from one rifle to the next. And I really prefer midlengths and am comfortable enough building my own rifle to my liking.

I may never own a Colt, but I'm not going to deter anyone from buying one. Do a little homework and figure out what works for you...Colt may well be the ideal rifle for you. And even if building isn't something that works for you, don't be afraid to buy a complete lower + complete upper from a credible source. As JonM mentions, slapping the two together requires less skill than the most basic cleaning (literally seconds), and might result your rifle better suiting your desires.

11. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

I know its not what you asked but you might try looking at spikes tactical. They make high quality products at dpms prices. But yeah the colts a good gun. My only beef is that they go for a high price for what you get

12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Is it for looks, or a truck gun?

Target shooting and hunting?

Colt is a solid brand, but I'd be more worried about

the build being what you need for your particular

shooting purposes.

For instance, I needed something for varminting and

target, so I got an AR with a longer, heavier barrel.

YMMV, depending on what your intended usage is.

13. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

Did someone say dont buy a Colt? I didnt. BCM, DD, and Colt are all very nice rifles. Especially for a first. Why is everyone getting all Colt butthurt haha?

14. MCarter788

MCarter788 New Member

I have to get in on this convo since I own a LE6940... Here is mine...

image-5671926.jpg

image-1013293027.jpg

image-2939289899.jpg

Varmint gun... Hence all the hardware...

Anyways, I have decided to get a new gun for my varmint hunting... LaRue Tactical 5.56 OBR 12" barrel, and no I don't have pics yet because I'm still waiting on ATF... There are two reasons why I came to this decision;
    1) the Colt sucks on accuracy! I mean it's about a 2-2.5" grouping at 100 yrds which doesn't suck for a chrome lined barrel, I just want sub MOA.
    2) the trigger on the Colt really does suck. And it has a sear block so I couldn't do a drop in trigger without milling out the sear. I didn't want to devalue the gun so I chose to just get a different one instead.
    Hope that helps your case. On the good side, Colts really do hold their value!

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

The Colt 6920 is an excellent choice. But I prefer midlength gas on a 16" barrel so went with BCM, DD and PSA midlength uppers. With a little effort you can build or buy an AR as good as a Colt yet with features not offered by Colt at this time.

16. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

Not sure what your intended use is, but the 6920 I have shoots and works as advertised.

17. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

Ooooooo a UBR. Me likey. Nice stock dude I love those

18. jord1985

jord1985 New Member

Don't forget spikes tactical, long wait time if you go direct to the company but you may be able to pick one up at your LGS

19. Jgshooter

Jgshooter New Member

I like Colt, and now the prices have gone down, I bought a 6940 (monolithic rail) on sale for $1000.00. I have owned several different AR's and Colt not being the best quality but pretty darn good choice for the price. It is about as mil-spec as you can get if thats what you are looking for, and said to be well tested..

20. okdonk

okdonk New Member

+1 to what JonM said.