Which stock?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by frostyone, Jan 3, 2012.

1. frostyone

frostyone New Member

I am beginning my first AR build which will be finished in the next couple months. I want it to be a light,short, and fast weapon for fun shooting. I am also interested in shooting 3 gun. Since I am from WI I am going to buy a BCM lower and upper. I am stuck between the Magpul CTR stock and the VLtor IMod stock. What are your opinions of either?
    I am also stuck on the upper. Either the 14.5" or 16" and also not sure if I want the light weight. I'm planning on ordering either with the VTAC TRX 11" hand guard. Does the lightweight affect recoil? Does the 1.5" affect accuracy? This isn't going to be a long range weapon but still would like it accurate out to 100-200 yards. I plan on putting an aimpoint micro rds on. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. frostyone

frostyone New Member

Which ever upper I decide on I plan to get the BFH barrel.

3. Myke2209

Myke2209 New Member

I like the ctr now you can find them for like $65 online I'm going to a gun show next weekend to see what they want for them last time I seen them everyone was wanting $80-85

4. Papa_Woody

Papa_Woody New Member

I like the CTR.
    In .223/5.56 recoil is not big to begin with so shedding weight is not as big a factor as shedding weight in larger calibers.
    Shortening the barrel will affect accuracy over distance. I have very little experience in the 14.5" but I use a 16" for three gun and fast deployment/CQ with ease. I like 16". I feel it best suits the gun on both sides but I also keep it well under 200 yards.

5. frostyone

frostyone New Member

I'm assuming I will be well under 200 yards also. I'm sure it won't be much more than 100 just thinking that if I wanted to hit something a little further out I could.

6. frostyone

frostyone New Member

What is a realistic range for a short, fast cq weapon?

7. cfraga1978

cfraga1978 New Member

If you look at the specs on a military m4 the maximum effective range is 300m for a point target and 500m for an area target.

8. QFive

QFive New Member

Gotta love the CTR friction lock! STR if you want some storage in your stock to help balance out your nose weight.

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I'm very much a fan of the CTR and a 16" LW barrel. I think the 14.5" looks better and will make almost no difference in accuracy especially since you're using the Aimpoint micro (excellent choice BTW). But I don't like the idea of pinning on the muzzle device just to shave off 1.3-1.5" and I think the extra length is beneficial with the midlength gas system.

Sounds like you're well on the way with BCM, can't argue with your choices in any way.

CTR/BCM receiver extension/buffer and Daniel Defense 16" CHF LW midlength below: (that extra 1.5" in front of the FSB does make the barrel look long)

[​IMG]

10. TacticalGuy15

TacticalGuy15 New Member

I like them both but I have to give the imod the edge. It has a cheek weld, storage and butt pad. Plus it looks great. The ctr has a butt pad and looks good but that's it. No real advantage over your standard stock really. Just my .02

11. QFive

QFive New Member

So the ability to engage a friction lock which removes all wobble from the buffer tube is not an added advantage over a standard M4 style stock? The STR stock has storage, cheek, butt pad, and friction lock.

The Imod appears to be a good stock as well. At the end of the day go with what works for your needs and you think would make your AR look and work best.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  12. TacticalGuy15

TacticalGuy15 New Member

Like I said I like them both and the lock up is a nice feature but I like all the features and the looks of the imod. Either on is more than good enough for an m4 setup.

13. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I LOVE Magpul products!!

14. 1stMarine

1stMarine New Member

Both the ctr and vltor are great stocks the ctr is lighter and cheaper, but I thein the vltor is marbinally more comfortable

Never Forget.

15. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

For what you want, a LW in either 14.5" or 16" will do wonderfully. Going with the 14.5" only saves about 3oz, and makes it MUCH harder to change the muzzle device if you ever want to, so I would recommend the 16" in Midlength if possible.

I'm a fan of LW barrels. If you look at a Govt profile barrel, they are the same diameter under the handguards as a LW, so why not go that profile all the way out? It saves about half a pound at the end of the rifle, which is quite a bit, and doesn't affect accuracy.

Just so you know, barrel length really has little effect on accuracy. What it does have an effect on is velocity, and lower velocity can cause the weapon to be less accurate at long distances, 400-500 yards and beyond. In a 16" AR with either iron sights or a red dot, 300 yards is about as far as you wanna be shooting. I personally don't ever shoot past 100 yards with my AR though.

-Fred

16. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I have both stocks. Do you have a beard? The IMod will occasionally grab a fist full of facial hair if you have any. Other than that both are good stocks. The IMod weights a little more but has a better cheek weld.

I would go w/ a 16" LW upper. I am a big fan of the 14.5" and have a couple but the 16" will make things easier for you. You'll be able to change things around if needed. Once you pin on a muzzle devise you are kinda limited.

The 1.5" won't make a difference other than what I listed above.

LW won't really effect muzzle climb or recoil w/ a good brake/comp which you'll want anyway considering you're using it for 3Gun.

The TRX Extreme by Troy and the re-branded VTAC are great rails. I also has have a Samson Evolution. I will be honest and say I prefer the Troy/VTAC offering more.

The Aimpoint Micro is a great RDS.

I forgot about the STR. Give it a look.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  17. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Totally forgot to even mention stocks. I've got an ACS on my rifle because I like the better cheek weld and friction lock. If the STR would've been out when I was building my rifle, I would've bought it. Oh well, maybe I'll pick one up in the future.

-Fred

18. frostyone

frostyone New Member

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to go with the BCM BFH light weight 16" mid length w/ VTAC TRX handguard. I am thinking the stock will be the magpul str. Hopefully I will have this done by mid march. I will post pics once it's all done and maybe a few more questions along the way.

19. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Sounds like a great build, frosty! Definitely keep us updated as you progress. Not that different from the basic rifle I pictured above, a Daniel Defense CHF LW 16" midlength. Handguards and buttstock the main visible difference. Both lightweight so the handling will be much the same.