Which is right for me? SKS or AK

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by warhawk77, Aug 14, 2011.

1. warhawk77

warhawk77 New Member

I am thinking about getting a SKS but I really like the idea of getting a AK. So I am wondering if a AK will do what I need.

I am wanting to rifle to hunt coyotes, plink at the range and in case SHTF.

SKS I hear it is pretty good up to 150-200 yards. Guessing I won't need much more that 100-150 yards. What about the AK how far can I hit a foot ball size target.

Both take same round, and it is about the same as a 30-30 so should put down anything I run into.

I hear it is harder to mount a scope on the SKS (or might just cost more)

I am finding SKS for $300 but I hear they can go lower. How about the AK what range am I looking at?

Both are rugged and should stand up to anything I will be throwing at it.

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Both will suit your intended purpose, but I think the AK 47 will serve its purpose better. The AK 47 uses a 30 round detachable magazine whereas the SKS uses a 10 round fixed magazine. I believe they use the same sights. The AK 47 I think has looser tolerances than the SKS so it's not as prone to jamming and is more reliable, but the looser tolerances cost it some accuracy. For your intended range the AK 47 should do the job. Cost wise, the AK 47 can be found as low as $400 and goes on up from there.

3. warhawk77

warhawk77 New Member

Thanks for the info.

I checked a few online sites I know and nothing around $400 most where $500+. I am not in a big hurry so I can wait a bit for a deal. But for over $500 I might just go the extra and get a AR. Won't have the ruggedness of a AK.

4. Johnny357

Johnny357 New Member

The SKS receiver is more robust than a typical sheet metal AK receiver. The SKS barrel is a longer than a typical AK. Both of those would tend toward slightly better accuracy. If you are thinking of a surplus SKS, however, the wear on it due to being a used gun may make it less accurate than a new AK.

5. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

I like both guns, and they will both do the job pretty well.
    SKS, as was mentioned, comes with a 10 round box mag, unless you find a D model which takes the AK mags
    The AK is taller with it's pistol grip and long mag which is why a lot of people prefer the SKS for a truck gun.
    On foot, I'd prefer the AK, but mounted in a vehicle, I'd prefer the SKS

6. chevyforlife1972nova

chevyforlife1972nova New Member

i would go ak

I have atleast one of each of the guns
    4 0r 5 sks's
    2 ak's
    and a AR
    a few questions
    Do you clean your guns every time you shoot?
    what price range are you looking ?
    can you uses some simple tools and fallow directions?

7. warhawk77

warhawk77 New Member

I clean after every shoot. Even if it's 100 rounds

I really want to go less that $400 but that is because I can get it now and not wait

Basic tools and following directions is not a problem

8. chevyforlife1972nova

i would do a saiga

there about 350 and the kits range from 85 to 150 you can do the conversion in 4 hours and have a true russian ak in any cal you want if u want a ak-47 make sure you get a bullet guide so you can use standard ak mags

9. aktommysks

aktommysks New Member

AK-SKS both good

I like them both, as far as being rugged, and reliable there's not much difference. It makes me laugh when i hear how much more rugged the AK is then the SKS. I'm not going to fill my gun with sand or mud. Don't kid yourself it takes alot to stop an SKS from working. Basically it all comes down to how much $ you have, and how long you want to wait for a good AK to come along for the price u want to spend.For $300-$400 you can get a very nice SKS,a little more accurate, and also lots of goodies if you want. Don't get me wrong i like the AK, it's a great gun. I'm only lookig at your financial situtation and the fact you want something now. I personally feel everyone should own both guns.

10. JJthebull

JJthebull New Member

Explain more please... I just put sks on lay away

"Having the burden and responsibility of carrying a firearm is well worth my family and love ones safety. I practice for them, and a well trained and prepared man with his love ones on his mind is the most dangerous man." - JJ

11. aktommysks

aktommysks New Member

AK kit

I would also like to know where u are getting these kits,at that price and also a russian receiver to have a genuine AK. I would be very interested to purchase one for that price.

12. orangello

orangello New Member

I think he was talking about the "kits" to de-sporterize the Saiga rifles (made in Russia). FWIR, they relocate the trigger to allow easier use of a pistol grip rather than the more traditional stock the Saigas come with.

Personally, i really like the wood furniture Saigas, really wanted one in .308 for a while. http://www.raacfirearms.com/Saiga_308.htm

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  13. aktommysks

aktommysks New Member

AK kit

Ok i got it, I do like the saiga, but they are not exactly cheap. Then add in kit and labor. I do agree you would have a nice gun all depends on how much $ you have and want to spend.

14. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

OK no one cough b/s on me but I own 3 sks and 2 aks . If Im getting down and dirty and just spraying rounds then the ak takes the cake for bad ass for dependable and cool looking in STOCK FORM . But For the long shots the sks is the only one I load . I '' have hit '' a 4in pipe @450yrds with iron sights on sks , the ak would not hit water if i was in the ocean lol . When ever your in doubt just buy both and leave them stock and have fun , btw either modify or keep the firing pin clean on the sks it can and will hurt you if it sticks

15. aktommysks

aktommysks New Member

450yd shot

Hey M/marine, thats some good shooting" I'm getting 2" groups@150yds. with my Russkie SKS, Thats about as far as these old eyes can do w/iron sights. I do beleive the gun is capable of a shot like you made. I always said the gun is only as good as the shooter. Nice shooting....

16. chevyforlife1972nova

I love my sks

don't get me wrong i just don't think that is what I will go to when i need to shoot that distance
    Yes i was talking about saiga converting it to a ak platform
    ill break it down
    saiga look on the net centerfire etc.
    saiga for $330-$340 I got mine with free shipping
    plus $20 bucks for a bullet guide (if you want to use standard ak mags)
    plus transfer fee mine charges $40 bucks
    Labor is you.. it is a very simple if you can't do it you shouldn't be shooting :D
    total 400 bucks.. that's not bad for a true Russian AK a extra 30 or 40 you can get a folding or m4 style stock

17. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

If you want the accuracy of an AR, the looks & ruggedness of a AK.
    Try getting a Polish Tantal it shoots the 5.45x39 round that is selling real cheap right now. As low as 11 cents per round if you buy in bulk.
    You can get one for $389.99 here.
    Classic Arms Inc.
    About 7/8 of the way down the page.
    It comes with a folding stock, but can easily be changed to a fixed stock.
    But if you are going to spend more than $400 you could go up to $500 which is about what I paid for this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I know this is the AK/SKS page but if you got the money you need to get your $$$ worth.
    It is a Plum Crazy lower receiver with a custom blem upper on it.
    The lower was only $119.99 & the upper cost $375 with bolt & carrier.
    I have over 600rds through it to date without any problems.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  18. chevyforlife1972nova

hey

7.62 do you own that plum crazy? cuz I saw a composite lower melt at the farm we shoot at I don't think it was a plum tho. right at where the front pin is started to melt. I love glocks but a AR plastic lower dose not seem good to me

19. Werminator

Werminator New Member

My two cents... The AK is definitely known for its rugged reliability. Pour mud, snow, sand, whatever the hell you want in it and it should keep on ticking... Truth be told the SKS and the AK are extremely similiar (the AK was designed off of the SKS a mere 2.5 or 3 years after the SKS came out ~1944). Most SKS receivers seemed to be assembled with tighter tolerances than their AK counterparts which may be a bit more tempermental when you throw your rifle in a creek, drag it back up a hill, and then pour your coffee into it, but for almost anyone NOT WAGING WAR in a desert it should be more than adequate. The longer barrel lends itself to a good deal longer sighting radius. Longer sight radius makes it easier to be very accurate. Either gun would be a great choice, I was brought into this thread because I too am in the market for a SHTF weapon... I lean toward SKS for all those reasons and more...

20. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

Yes I own it, as for melting I don't get it that hot just plinking.:eek:
    I have other guns for things like bump firing, & fast fire competitions.
    The Plum Crazy is just something I wanted to try out & so far I like it, it is not the greatest but well worth the $119.99 I paid for it.;)