Where can I get a colt python ?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by bigmack, Dec 21, 2013.

1. bigmack

bigmack New Member

I love the 6 inch stainless steel or nickel
    Plated does any one know where I get a colt python 357 mag ??

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Gunbroker. Beware of scammers

3. bigmack

bigmack New Member

How can u tell if it's a scam ?

4. Tinstar

Tinstar New Member

I have bought several weapons off of GunBroker and never had a problem, at least not yet. I always read the write ups and see how well they are rated. Most all I have purchased from were FFL holders. There are scammers everywhere these days, especially on ebay and Craigslist. One does have to be careful.

5. Mercator

Mercator New Member

The unfavorable signs include: first time seller (no rating); poor or insufficient pictures; very brief description; non-original parts and mods; poor communication.

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

Usually the person isn't a ffl using gunbroker to do business. As stated above private seller few feedbacks. Few to no ratings. Doesn't have a physical address only a pobox or the like. Bad communication.

Only thing I buy off gunbroker is small stuff and I never use a cc or personal check. If I was going to buy a gun off there the seller would have to have a real gunstore type location with website I can contact. Lots of pawn shops and dealers use gunbroker for sales.

Other than that gunshows or hunt one down by going shop to shop leaving your contact info.

8. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool New Member

Try gunwatcher and gunsamerica too.

9. Donn

Donn New Member

10. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

As others have said there's several on gunbroker,I wouldn't buy a used firearm online without a 3 day inspection period....Period.

11. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Try Armslist in your area too.

12. Bob Wright

Bob Wright New Member

I'd suggest you go to lots of gun shows. There are folks who bad mouth gun shows, saying they're more flea markets than anything else, and too high admission price.

The last gun show I went to here in Memphis I saw maybe a dozen Pythons and a half dozen Diamondbacks. Sure, it cost me $9 to get in, with a one dollar off coupon that came in the mail. But I spent a pleasant Saturday morning walking around talking to some pretty nice folks, most of whom I'd never met before.

The Pythons are out there. Just keep looking. And bring lots of money! You'd be surprised how the asking price falls when you count out $100 bills.

Bob Wright

13. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 New Member

Pythons are nice. However, they are a lot like an expensive old car from a company that been out of business for decades. Probably best kept as a Sunday driver since parts aren't growing on trees. They are lovely, but they are stupidly overpriced.
    Yes, I own one. If I were forced endure today's prices, I'd pass.

Another possible option:
    The original Colt Trooper. Built using the same hand fitted action as the Python, but without the underlug barrel and the extra polishing. While they are not exactly giving them away, they are dramatically cheaper than their prettier, more coveted brethren, all the while sharing that old school Colt goodness. If you are maintaining proper sight picture, the differences will be harder to spot. ;)

Whatever course you decide, enjoy.

14. Mercator

Mercator New Member

That sounds like Missouri :D

I think your best bet is Gunbroker, not only because it is larger, but it has the best feedback system that can be used for reference. On GunsAmerica the feedback is inconsistent. Consider using a credit card. The extra 3% buys you the ability to dispute the charge in case of a serious problem.

As a Python owner I can tell you, I would not have bought it today. The asking prices are hysterical. A Colt looks like no other, but when it comes to hitting targets, you will score just as well with a S&W or a Ruger. Just something to consider before writing the big check.

15. bigmack

bigmack New Member

I found one at guns international.com
    Here is the description
    Colt Python .357 Mag 6" Satin Stainless Steel Finish 'NRA Perfect (As New) Condition. In Blue Hard Case'.

16. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Sounds good. If you want a family heirloom, it's your money. Most owners will not fire such a piece much, or not at all. If you want to practice, compete, or hunt, you are overpaying every $ above 2K.

17. revolverlover97

revolverlover97 New Member

I have a friend who just got one. However im curious about it because it has no firing pin the grips are gone and the barrel has a screw in it, anyone now what that means?

18. kbd512

kbd512 Active Member

The Colt Python, The Colt 357 (a precursor to the Colt Trooper with a nicer finish), and original Colt Trooper (not the more common and newer, relatively speaking, Colt Trooper Mk III or Mk V) all share the same action. The Python has a slightly thicker frame. All of them are fantabulous revolvers, smooth, accurate, and well-made.

I have three Colt Trooper revolvers. I'm not sure why but the nose heavy feel of the Colt Python doesn't appeal to me as much as the quicker-to-point and better-balanced, in my opinion, Colt Trooper. That said, I'd never turn my nose up at a Python.

The Python was the first revolver I'd ever handled. My father has a friend who has quite a collection, amongst them a Python and Anaconda. Great pieces, but expensive.

19. kbd512

kbd512 Active Member

That means your friend doesn't have a Colt Python, he has a paperweight that looks like a Colt Python. If he can buy a new barrel and firing pin then he may, at that point, have a Colt Python. All of that, of course, assumes that nothing else was done to render it inoperative.

Python barrels can cost more than a brand new Ruger .357, so I hope your friend has deep pockets.

The grips are easy to replace and you should be able to get them from eBay, GunBroker, GunsAmerica, or just about any other place where Colt revolver parts are available for sale. Generally speaking, these have to be fitted to the revolver. It's something you can do yourself if you have time on your hands.

20. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 New Member

It means some sick SOB attempted to render it inoperable.

Python parts are out there, but they ain't cheap or easy to find. When you do find a barrel, it's no small matter to have it fitted. Oh, and good gunsmiths who know Colts aren't terribly common. Depending on vintage, older, nice OEM grips are getting expensive. Because most owners changed them out for comfortable ones, and promptly lost them.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013