Where can I find public shooting ranges?

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by The-Lix, May 19, 2012.

1. The-Lix

The-Lix New Member

If you read my introduction thread you've noticed I'm from Sweden. This summer, my family and I are going over to the states for the third time (we love it over there) on a road trip. We're starting out in Chicago, heading west for Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, and maybe Idaho/Montana.

When we were in Vegas last year we paid some sick amounts of money to get off a few rounds of different weapons in full auto. Sure it was fun and all, but this time we'd like to spend a couple of hours, maybe a whole day, on an outside shooting range with rentable semi-automatic rifles without the stress and the all too expensive fees (in Vegas we're talking over $120 for two/three magazines and three weapons).

I know that the states we'll be going through are pretty big, but if you happen to know any public shooting ranges where people are able to rent a rifle that isn't just a .22 caliber or a shotgun for clay shooting, I'd be happy to know about it.

Thanks in advance!

2. JTJ

JTJ Active Member

You might try contacting the National Rifle Association. Otherwise possibly someone that lives in one of those states would be willing to take you shooting. Summertime temperatures are brutal where I live in Arizona with temperatures hitting 40C-50C.
    http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh New Member

If you were stopping in NH, I'd take you out! I have some Swedish beauties also!

4. GatorDude

GatorDude New Member

I would suggest binging or googling the medium-sized cities on your itinerary for Shooting Ranges. For example, these guys at Silver Bullet Shooting Range in Denver, Colorado, have a nice web site and even discuss considerations for foreign visitors. I live in the Southeast so I've never visited their facility.

5. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

If you want to shoot while you are here then do a Google search of public shooting ranges in the state you plan to visit. Give them a call to set up a time to shoot.

Public Shooting Ranges Iowa
    [ame]http://www.google.com/search?q=Public+Shooting+Ranges+Iowa&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.yahoo:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox[/ame]

6. The-Lix

The-Lix New Member

A darn shame I'm not going that way. Raincheck?

--

To all others: Thanks for some good tips. I thought going via NRA was restricted to US citizens only. Has anyone ever been to Cherry Creek state park a bit outside Denver, CO? They seem to be renting both rifles and handguns although I do not know what kind they are.

7. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Many couples from Europe when in America around the Florida shooting ranges always can be seen enjoying themselves at low, affordable prices.
    I have to admit the women from Europe sure can outshoot their husbands and boyfriends!
    :eek:

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

So can some of the American women. ;)

9. The-Lix

The-Lix New Member