What would you choose? Opinions needed.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by eborden1122, Jan 12, 2012.

1. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member

Hi All, I need some opinions. Not a big deal but I am having a hard time picking between adding a H&K 2000 9mm sub compact or a Walther PPK/S .380. This is just something to add to my collection for fun and maybe carry as a backup pistol. The H&K obviously costs more and is really nice. But the Walther would get me the James Bond gun I have always wanted. Does anyone have any experience with either of these pistols? Appreciate any help. Thanks, Ed

2. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

Love my Walther PPK/S.

Attached Files:

3. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48 New Member

Between the 2, the HK would probably be my choice based on nothing more than I would rather have a 9mm over a .380...

4. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I just read about a recall issued for PPKs for firing without the trigger being pulled. I believe it was for those manufactued from 2002 to 2009. I'll see if I can get a link & bring it over.

Here it is:

http://waltherppks.com/?page_id=30

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Ive had walthers. While they are nice looking the triggers arent very good and the ones ive had were all ammo picky. Bersa makes a better functioning version that eats everything.

6. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I shot my first PPK over Christmas and was really surprised by the recoil. I did not enjoy shooting.

7. MrWray

MrWray New Member

My choice would be the H&K

8. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

+1 on the Bersa over the Walther.

9. hardluk1

hardluk1 New Member

No real rime or reason so flip a coin?

10. utf59

utf59 New Member

My wife carries a PPK/S, and I have fired the HK on one occasion.

The recall mentioned on the PPK/S was from a while back. A new gun won't have that problem. We did have trouble with the gun at first, so I sent it back to S&W, and they replaced the slide. It's fired well (through a couple hundred rounds) since then.

The friend with the HK loves it. The grip was exactly the wrong length for me — too short to include my pinky, but too long for my pinky to curl comfortably underneath.

The PPK/S works well as a pocket carry gun, which also means it's less fun to shoot at the range. It's narrower than the HK, but has pretty small sights.

The first-round trigger pull on the PPK/S is substantial, but amazingly short.

They're both accurate. I personally don't like the PPK/S sights; I'm not a fan of the dot-over-dot sight pattern. But that's me.

If your primary purpose is fun, the HK is more fun to shoot. If being able to deep-conceal it is more important, I'd say the PPK/S.

11. jbshoots

jbshoots New Member

i was going to mention the recoil too. it won't hurt you or anything, but being so small it does jump back in your hand a bit when you fire it.

i actually have one of those American Arms cx-22s (.22lr) that is a ppk clone and it is fun to shoot but like i said the .380 jumps back a little too much to consider it a fun gun to shoot.

although it is compact and would do in a pinch for a carry situation.

i don't have experience with the other gun you mentioned. just wanted to weigh in on the walther.

12. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member

Thats one of the concerns I have is recoil on the Walther. It would be great as a CCW pistol but I dont like the idea of having a sore hand after each range session.