What AK did you choose and why?

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Mark_Van_Goth, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Mark_Van_Goth

Mark_Van_Goth New Member

I don't want to know what AK rifle is the best in your opinion, I just want to know what AK did you bought and why.

My choice?
    1)Zastava M70AB2
    2)IMI GALIL

Reason:
    1)Solid construction(thicker receiver), RPK trunnion(longer service life), gas system can be blocked(full power cartridge+imporved accuracy), non-chrome-lined barrel(more accurate), greater rpm amount(725 rpm...you can even remove the limiter...and increase it),familiarity with the weapon(i Use it since I was 12).

2)All the good things an AK can offer + BAD ASS ACCURACY....I would have one in each caliber(5,56x45; 7,62x39;7,62x51 NATO).This rifle is not my favorite AK, but is far the best AK pattern rifle EVER made!!!

Your turn now....

2. KAPRAL-POLAND

KAPRAL-POLAND New Member

I think that topic is similiar to "why did you buy an AK" or am I just wrong?

I choose an AKMS - Polish made from Polish parts, assembled in a gunsmith - they are just old military rifles with new barrels from FB Radom.

Why I choose AKMS - I prefer the feel of the underfolder stock, ammo prices are still low (it is about 1/2 or 1/3 of .223 REM price), mags also are cheap, I cano do a lot of stuff with it, simple built - I can repear it by my self.

3. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

I couldn't figure which one is best ether so I got one of each that I could get my hands on without breaking the bank.
    I also found back when I started collecting that it was cheaper to build them my self. So the first WASR 10 was the only one that was bought.
    The rest were built, here is my list as of today, there is more in the works all the time.
    WASR 10
    Romy "G"
    Romanian PKM
    Romanian PSL
    Romanian MD 90 side folder
    Romanian MD 63 underfolder
    Polish Wz 88 Tantal
    Bulgarian AK74 plumb
    Bulgarian AK74 wood stock
    Hungarian AMD 65
    Hungarian AMD GR pistol
    I have a few others in the works & a hand full of kits for back up.
    As far as my favorite, it is a toss-up between the Polish Wz 88 or one of the Bulgarian AK74s.;)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Im a underfolder fan , I DO NOT like the donkey dong on the front of some of them , but to each his own ;)

5. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

I bought an Arsenal SLR 95 in '96 and could only guess how many, and what variety of rounds it has consumed flawlessly.

It has been soaking wet, covered in dirt, dropped from a 4 wheeler, and a jeep...rock solid.
    Not a fan of the sporter stock, but have not fully grasped my legal options for mods...

6. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

Yes to each his own, one of the reasons I kept the dong on my underfolder it was in such good condition & it makes the gun much more collectable.

[​IMG]

Without it the gun would be just another underfolder what do the rest of you think??:D

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

If mine came with it I wouldn't swap it out either . I like to keep mine original .

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

i bought a wasr 10/63

i chose that one because it has the widest selection of aftermarket compatability for american made parts and it fits the widest selection of foreign made parts.

i dont thik any ak pattern is better than other mainly because the design is handicapped by a really poor cartridge, so i went compatability

9. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Saiga 39 cause its cheap and as accurate as a $1400 arsenal

10. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Get em while you can. Obummer is issuing an executive order halting the import of military rifles. Not trying to be political, but it was on CSPAN today and I think it's relevant to this thread.

11. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

I thought it was the reimporting of firearms we've sold to other people. Which is even dumber because it prohibits imports of m1 garands and the like. Cause so many criminals are holding up liquor stores with m1 garands.

12. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

He said import of military surplus weapons in his speech. No clue what the actual executive order says but I'd love to read an intelligent, factual summary if anyone wants to post a link.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

Gun bans arent about stopping crime. Banning guns is about protecting criminals from being shot by their victims. Thats about it.

Just an example: liberals think rape is a victimless crime and would rather see a million women raped than one rapist shot by a victim... thats the root of their thinking.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  14. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

I agree. Gun control isn't about guns, its about control.

15. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

Intelligent and factual? Might be hard to find but I'll look.

16. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

17. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

I dont think its off topic, I can't choose an AK-47 if I can't buy one! And I really do want one. I've been lurking on this thread to get ideas.

Thanks for the link. So basically as long as its not re-imported military surplus we can still get imported rifles here. Good to know. Not as bad as I thought. I thought it was any foreign made military caliber weapon when I heard him say it in his speech. I was yelling at the TV at work.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  18. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

That would almost make more sense in my opinion. Why the heck should m1 garands be prohibited from import?? That really screws the cmp and anyone who wants to build their collection of classic guns. And they're AMERICAN weapons.

But you can still get your foreign rifles. For now. I'm confused.

Good luck with picking your ak though. I'm sure you'll post pics :D

19. Mark_Van_Goth

Mark_Van_Goth New Member

Nice collection

The AMD is also one of my favorites.Really nice collection;)

20. Mark_Van_Goth

Mark_Van_Goth New Member

HM...

An interesting point of view...I don't agree with you, but I have to admit that you've taken a goo decision, since it is based on a good reason-the compatibility and availability of components.

Poor cartridge?What do you mean exactly?