What .22lr firearms should I avoid?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Dude, May 31, 2007.

1. Dude

Dude New Member

Everyone seems to ask about what .22 firearms are good.

What about which .22 firearms are BAD!

Have any .22 firearms you dislike? If so why?

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2012
  2. ScottG

ScottG New Member

Raven, Jennings, Bryco...

I don't have any of these, but the consensus is they're junk. Saturday night specials. I don't believe I would like to be shot by any of them though....

3. BrassMonkey

BrassMonkey New Member

That Walther P22 is crap IMHO. I tested a brand new example at the range (I was the first one to rent it), and it had more FTF than any other gun I have ever shot.

4. jrstarkey

jrstarkey New Member

fie

stay away from anything imported by fie

5. RONSERESURPLUS

RONSERESURPLUS New Member

22's to Aviod?

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

While I tend to look to 22 Rifles, when one Mentions 22's, I have had some good and Bad Jennings 22 Pistols! Many were Picky of what 22 ammo to feed them, but none more so than my Beretta M-21?

I've had some HORRIBLE, I MEAN HORRIBLE 22 Rifles imported under the Name "SQUIRES BINGHAM", Rexio as well as a few that were brought in by "INTERARMS"!

6. Big Rig

Big Rig New Member

Walther P22

I must agree with the above opinion of the Walther. I have the misfortune to have one and it is crap. I thought the wife would like the small size.

If it is perfectly clean it might cycle OK. But after about 20 rounds you have a fifty fifty chance of a misfeed or no feed.

7. deerhuntguy

deerhuntguy New Member

Why? Just because you can't hit the broad side of a barn with one ... while inside the barn .... (at least the birdshead grip single action .22 revolver I had would not hit anything it was aimed at more than 3 feet away.) They don't shoot worth a darn, but do make for a nice wall display. Come to think of it, the .38 FIE "Colt Navy" I had was a POS too ...

Except the one revolver my experience with .22's has been rifles. I can't think of one that I did not like, and all were accurate enough for squirrel out to 75 yards.

8. phovan

phovan New Member

i had a remington 22 viper semi automatic that was a POS

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member

.22 to avoid

Marlin model 60. Barrel to frame fit WILL work loose. Aluminum frame/pressed in barrel. Soft wood stocks ding easily.

10. Ed21

Ed21 New Member

AMEN! :eek:

11. JoeLee

JoeLee New Member

Cheep new 22s will drive a man crazy with problems with any action.

12. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

You get what you pay for.

13. deerhuntguy

deerhuntguy New Member

Not necessarily. Sometimes you get more than you paid for. Years ago I had a Remington bolt action .22 rifle I think it was a 722? but not sure, it was 15 or so years ago, with a decent scope, paid $20.00 for it at the pawn shop because it had a cracked stock.
    With CCI "Mini Mag" ammo, I was getting 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards - with the cracked stock.

14. Spetznatz

Spetznatz New Member

I don't know that someone should avoid a Marlin model 60 I have been shooting the same Marlin Model 60 for 30 years and the only problem I have had is a worn out recoil buffer and that happened after firing countless thousand rounds through the rifle.

15. sixgunsamori

sixgunsamori New Member

I must second the beretta mod 21 bashing; bad gun all around. I have a walther p-22 that has worked fine since day 1, and I bought it USED! Hasn't even seemed ammo sensitive; it eats everything I throw in it. I had the worst Ruger single six ever built... it would throw shotgun style patterns with any kind of ammo, lr or mag. Turns out the bore tightened in the middle and flared at both ends. Ruger claimed it was "in spec" as long as the bore was larger than .220 and smaller than .230. I had a taurus PT 22 that was crap, bore was so rough it would lead excessively at the 20-30 round mark and cease to function, a Rohm 22 short revolver that was the most horrible handgun of all time (it actually failed to put down my daughters terminally ill pet hamster! The barrel was pressed to the critters head and the gun still missed!), an intratec tec 22 that was great for a brief time and then fell apart and numerous centerfire guns that were pure excrement. Ain't shootin fun?

16. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member

Oh, don't get me wrong. I loved my Marlin Glenfield model 60. Bought it in high school and shot many thousands of rounds through it. IMHO is a decent gun for the moneybut there are better available in the same price range. I still have the model 60 in the back of the safe just have not shot it in many years. You can do much better. The stainless version has a steel reveiver ( I believe) and is likely a better choice.

17. Pounce

Pounce New Member

The Marlin I bought is one of those I wish I hadn't.:( Clean, it shoots ok. After 30 or so rnds. it has a bad habit of not recycling. Gotta dig the shell out. It gets gummed up to darn'd easy. I replaced the fireing pin spring to no avail. The stock peeled and I redid it. (looks better than new) I've had it around 15 years.

18. Pounce

Pounce New Member

:mad: Eh... There is a egg shoot locally this Sat. I figured I'd go down to my range and see how my 'marlin' was shootin. The 5th round was a miss fire. (Just cleaned it) Any......buyers?:rolleyes:

19. Spetznatz

Spetznatz New Member

Pounce, When cleaning your Marlin do you take it all the way down to clean?

20. Pounce

Pounce New Member

Yup! I take out the bolt, the hammer assmbl. fireing pin and spring etc. I took it to that egg shoot yesterday and no problems with it then.