Warning to Mosin Nagant uses and other surplus rifle owners

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by molonlabexx, May 19, 2014.

1. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Got a mosin in yesterday. Guy hadn't cleaned it real well since the last range trip about 2 months ago. Got a hold of it and there was surface rust inside the chamber and the barrel. Guys the surplus ammo is EXTREMELY potent and WILL cause corrosion. Running a few patches through with Hoppes isn't going to do anything... You need to run a brush through, then soak the barrel in Hoppes and then start running your patches. Hoppess and most gun cleaning solvents are designed so they eat away at the GPR and salts and whatever else might be lurking in there. Spend some time with your guns, or you may just end up ruining them. These surplus rifles, hell any gun, NEED attention and to be cleaned PROPERLY. Also a good tip when you are done running your patches is to soak a CLEAN patch with gun oil and put it on in there. This creates a pretty nice barrier to prevent rusting (to an certain extreme) and overall keep the gun in nice working condition!

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

hoppies is a very good residue remover its designed for blackpowder.

but your right you really need to soak the bore good.

best way to clean a mosin after using corrosive surplus is the same as a blackpowder gun run very hot tap water not boiling through the bore. then clean as normal.

i remove the gun from the stock before cleaning. the bolt should be disassembled and cleaned especially the firing pin channel.

lube very well recheck the bore and bolt in a few days for signs of rust in case something got missed.

nowadays i just stick with noncorrosive and leave my spam cans for emergency use

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Com Bloc milsurp ammo has a corrosive primer- instead of using lead azide, it uses potassium chlorate, which burns to potassium chloride, a first cousin of table salt. Like all salt, it is water soluble.

My means of cleaning after shooting- and there ARE other means- put rifle into padded vise, muzzle down. Put bucket under muzzle. Remove bolt. Using plastic funnel pour at least 2 quarts of HOT water thru the chamber and bore. 2 drops of Dawn dish detergent on bore brush, 10-20 strokes of bore brush, pour another 2 quarts of hot water thru bore. While it is draining and air drying, wipe down bolt with damp cloth, dry and oil it.

Bore will dry in 2-3 minutes from the heat. Run a dry patch or two thru bore, followed by oily patch.

Remember, with the exception of M1 Carbine ammo, every round fired by every combatant in WW 2 was corrosive. It is not the kiss of death to a gun, but rifles MUST be cleaned after shooting it, and oil based products do not remove the salt from corrosive primers. WATER does.

4. armoredman

armoredman New Member

I always used the Windex with Ammonia D method when I shot corrosive through my Mosin rifles. Worked like a charm.

5. Mercator

Mercator New Member

I had a Mosin with the bore that looked like mud when I purchased it. I loosened the mud first, then stood the rifle on the muzzle, set up a siphon on the workbench, and let warm water run through it, hands free. Would do it again if need be.

6. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Best way to clean a Mosin.
    Find the deepest part of any lake. Throw it into the lake at the deepest part,and then go back to shore without it!

I couldn't resist!!!!!!!

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I was testing modifications to my sights today. I shot this group at 117 yards standing, with my rifle propped on a tree. You get what you pay for. This is 180 gr winchester ammo. I have 880 rounds of milsurp ammo. I pray I never need to open the cans.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  8. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...

C3- was taught the same stuff by my Uncle to care for the 1903's,.. And he did it to his Krags,..they are spotless....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

We didn't dunk the M16 every day. But we took the M16A1 into the shower for inspections. Giving your rifle a bath is a US military tradition.

10. phildenton

phildenton New Member

I would run patches of windex w/ ammonia (5%) a bunch of times, then a tight fitting bore brush, a couple dry patches, bore brush, Then carefully pour plenty of boiling water through the chamber & bore. Then and only then continue cleaning as if a regular rifle (hoppes, etc). Another option is to get sweets 7.62, or Tipton w/ ammonia in it (comes that way), you can get it at Midway. A good long term protective oil is, believe it or not, automatic transmission fluid, also good for cold weather.

Edited to fix auto correct.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  11. JTJ

JTJ Active Member

Or you could do what the Russian soldiers did in the field and pee down the barrel.

12. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

Doesnt urine have sodium based compounds in it? Pissing in the barrel would just makes things worse wouldn't it? I mean I've heard of guys forging antiques by pissing on reproductions to speed up corrosion. Maybe you were joking....

13. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

this is exactly why I have never and will never use corrosive ammo

14. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Warm salt water will accelerate rust, but the bores are chrome lined. It is impressive how they shine after a good cleaning, having spent decades in storage, heavily fouled.

I think the danger of corrosive ammo is exaggerated. Those rifles were built for it. Our Mosins are babied, nothing like when they were in service.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  15. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Ammonia is also corrosive but will help dissolve the salts. Always follow with hot water. I made an attachable hose that fits onto the rinse hose on the kitchen sink. I run hot tap water through the bore into a bucket for about 3 minutes. You should see the flakes and particles that are in the bucket when finished. This is the only way Ive ever got a clean patch through the bore without having to run twenty or thirty through it.

16. Highpower

Highpower New Member

The British were a bit more civilized about it. Or at least better equipped. :D

They had a specially designed funnel for pouring boiling water down the bores of Enfield rifles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

That is interesting. See the Russians built so many, it would be a waste to make funnels. Hell the gun is probably cheaper to make than the funnel!!

18. Highpower

Highpower New Member

You are probably right! :)

But then, that is one of the reasons they have such appeal. Back when Century had "3-fer" M44's for $100, I stocked up! Still have some in cosmoline sitting in the original shipping boxes untouched. If I ever wear one out I'll just open up another box. :D

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Janitor's ammonia cut 1 or 2:1 with water

works wonders. Pee has ammonia, but your

rifle would smell funky afterwards.

With any firearm in the process of cleaning, I

use ATF when I walk away from the cleaning

bench for a while.

20. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Today's ad for pee.

Biodegradable. Sustainable. Renewable. The ancient Russian recipe rediscovered!

The Ultimate Green* Flush for your Mosin rifle!

*Your pee color may vary.

Note. This product is known to the State of California to taste real bad.

========================================================
    Having fun tonight! :)

Last edited: May 24, 2014