Wanting to buy my first 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by guthy125, Oct 26, 2011.

1. guthy125

guthy125 New Member

Ok, I have been researching and reading for a bit now, and that is including the sticky by cane. I'm looking at Springfield-Armory 1911s. Now this first one I want to get is going to be a home defense/range gun seeing as my first CCW gun will most likely be a revolver of some sort (prolly Ruger LCR) when I am ready to get a CCW.

Here is a link for the 2 I was looking at, a SA Loaded Full Size MC Operator or Mil-Spec Full Size Parkerized. I would like some opinions on both if some of you guys out there have owned/shot some and what advice on which one to get would be. BTW I would most likely only get it in 45 ACP.

Springfield Armory operator
    Springfield Armory mil-spec

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

IMHO if your main concern is HD keep is simple-
    Go with the mil spec :cool:

3. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I own the Mil-Spec and it's a great gun. I find it's a great package, because you get a basic 1911 model, but with a 3 dot sight system that's not as expensive as Colt.

4. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I don't have either, but since the Mil Spec is on my 'to do' list, I vote for it also.:) Plus, probably $400-$500 difference in price. Unless you specifically want the accessory rail, I'd suggest you look at their Loaded series. No rail, but most of the other goodies & also less money.

5. guthy125

guthy125 New Member

Thanks for opinions guys. I honestly would like to get them both, but I will probably go with the mil-spec first. But if anyone has shot the operator before I would love some feedback on it thx.
    *on a side note I will be going to the range with my dad and my granddad over the next few months and I'm really looking forwards to shooting a 1911 and some other guns my grandads got.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I'm old school so I'd go with the Mil-Spec but before you take the leap, take a look at the original;

Colt 1991 Government .45acp 5" Blue $835.00 SHIPS FREE

But whatever your decision, your first 1911 should be a FS 5" M1911A1 pattern pistol. It will become a family heirloom! ;)

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

guthy125, why don't you jump over to the Introductions section and tell us a little about yourself?

8. guthy125

guthy125 New Member

Thx cane, that's a nice one. I just posted in the intro page too.

9. mes227

mes227 New Member

1911s are a fantastic choice for home defense. And for that purpose you need nothing more than a reliable platform and either good night sights (ideally trintium) or optics (grip laser or tactical rail-mounted laser and/or light). I agree completely with the prior post about your first 1911 being a gov't model (5" barrel) M1911-A1 style - those are my favorite! You can get into a very reliable basic model for under $500 (Rock Island Armory). I don't (yet) own a Springfield but the Loaded is on my "must own soon" list. I recently picked up a used excellent condition Kimber Classic Royal (full size) with Crimson Trace laser grips for $700. Hard to beat that for a night-stand gun and it's unbelievably accurate without every having had any work done.

I'd own any of the Springfields without a second thought. Ditto for any Kimber, Dan Wesson, Colt, Ruger, S&W (the new E series get fantastic reviews, mine is an older allow frame, the 1911PD series, which is a great gun and much ligher than the stainless steel frame versions).

10. gutz47

gutz47 New Member

My first pistol was a springfield g.i. 1911. I miss her...

11. ET1

ET1 New Member

I just bought a Springfield Range Officer. It is very close to the Mil Spec SA with the main differences being the sights & the barrel/bushing set up. Since I wanted a target/competition type 1911 at an entry level price (I paid $754), the RO just seemed right for me at that price. You could do a lot worse than the SA gun, but the Colt above does look enticing as well. If I had seen that offering before I purchased my RO I think I would have bought it instead.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011