Walther P22 function failure

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by GunDoc-NH, May 19, 2011.

1. GunDoc-NH

GunDoc-NH New Member

I have a Walther P22 that fails to feed and, occasionally, fails to extract/eject. I am considering chamfering the feed ramp to help that problem, but I've seen research which suggests that the hammer-cocking function will cause slow cycling which, in turn, leads to feed failure. Any experience out there on solving this problem?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired

Thoroughly clean, lube, and try high velocity ammo (check the manual about using Stingers, some chambers are not cut for them.)

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

Try different ammo first. Some batches can have issues even in a brand you have had good success with. Altering a 22 is a very last resort thing. Most 22 feed/cycle issues are are ammunition qc issues.

4. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

When I had my P22, it loved CCI Mini Mags.

5. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Use some 600 grit emory cloth to polish the ramp up to the chamber. Once that's nice and smooth you shouldn't have any more issues. We use copper washed .22 rounds in ours and haven't had any problems.

6. JTJ

JTJ Active Member

I have seen several P22's that did not like 36 gr hollow points. Functioned perfectly with 40 gr solids.

7. stalkingbear

stalkingbear New Member

I to agree it sounds like an ammo problem. I wouldn't chafmer the feed ramp at all. If you have to just polish it. Also does it do the same thing with other different mags?

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired

My PPK/s in .22 would not function at first with standard ammo. After about 500 rounds of high velocity (with proper cleaning and lube), I can now run standard velocity with not problems for about 100 rounds.

9. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

I can't remember where I read it, but someone recommended to clean it REALLY well....then fire 500 rounds of CCI through it, in a day, no cleaning. After that day at the range, clean it to military standards of ridiculously-clean. Then, buy a couple different brands of ammo. I found that the Remington 550 Bulk pack is the best of the cheap 22LR ammo with regards to cycling reliably through my P22. A guy that works at the gun store told me the same thing applies to his.

This is the stuff I'm talking about:
    http://picturearchive.auctionarms.com/825011859/9310875/remington 22 lr 550.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg