Trying to narrow it down.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by NickFroelich, Aug 27, 2013.

1. NickFroelich

NickFroelich New Member

So I'm gonna make another handgun purchase here in the next few weeks and I'm trying to really still decide which one i want. I'm kind of trying to stay on a budget.
    Im thinking about a Taurus PT740 or the like in that price range. I also was looking at a Walther PPS or a XD but don't really wanna spend over $500.
    Any other suggestions? All my previous handguns have all been 9mms (glock 19, 26, PF9, ruger P95) and want to get into a different caliber.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  2. Mongo

Mongo New Member

Spend more taurus less

3. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Not sure what other if any guns ya have, but I would get a nice bolt action rifle, or a revolver for something different instead of the same ol, same ol.

4. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

What caliber are you looking to get that should be the question .
    Second does the gun you are looking at fit your hands and do you like it enough to spend your money on, that you will not have buyers remorse.

5. JW357

JW357 New Member

Go to a gunstore and hold many different guns until you find a couple that really fit your hand well, in the caliber you like.

Then rent those couple guns and see which you shoot the best.

Buy said gun.

Now that the cookie-cutter post is out of the way, I say go for a .357 Magnum Revolver. If money is your concern Taurus makes decently priced wheel guns and they offer a lifetime warranty.

Alternatively, if you want slightly better quality, there are usually nice Ruger and/or S&W wheel guns showing up on the used market. S&W also offers a lifetime warranty. I'm less familiar with Ruger, but I've read they stand by their guns.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  6. NickFroelich

NickFroelich New Member

I listed them in my original post.

Not really looking for a revolver. I've owned a couple already and sold them pretty soon after.

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

Well the rest of my post still stands.

For what its worth, I like the M&P line a lot. They fit my hand better than any other handgun.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired

There is something to be said about keeping with the same caliber.

When the next ammo shortage comes along, I would like to keep ammo for all my guns. And not be limited to the few that I can scrounge ammo for.

What do you intend to do with this future purchase? Sport, self-defense, plinking? How about aftermarket accessories? How about warranty repairs? Isn't the Walther PPS almost the same as the S&W M&P?

9. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Why not look at a cz75 variant or a 1911

10. JW357

JW357 New Member

There's also something to be said for diversifying calibers. When the next ammo crisis happens, and all someone can find is .40 S&W, I bet he'd be happy he has that gun chambered in .40 S&W.

11. NickFroelich

NickFroelich New Member

Exactly why I'm getting something different then 9mm. I could almost never find any 9mm before but I could find 40sw for less then 9mm

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  12. NickFroelich

NickFroelich New Member

I really like the m&p shield. Just trying to stay in budget.

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

I don't have any personal experience with the Shield, but they seem like a good gun and if they're anything like my M&P9c and M&P9 they're definitely great guns.

14. rickster

rickster New Member

Try the PT740 its a great semi for the price. I have one as my daily ccw and I've put about 1000 rounds of all types thru it without a problem.

15. NickFroelich

NickFroelich New Member

Thanks, that's probably what I'll get. I would love to have a M&P shield or XD. But with a new baby on the way I really gotta keep it in that price range.

16. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

I see you have a p 95 if you like that might i suggest a p944 .40 s&w. they can be had for the upper 2 to mid 3 range and will handle anything you put through them. I'll be honest i've had problems with taurus products in the past so i wouldnt suggest one but i've never had a problem with a product put out by ruger

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  17. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

You can get EAA witness CZ75 polymer clones for under 300 dollars, I have one and no issues at all and works just as well as my CZ

18. NickFroelich

NickFroelich New Member

I've seen those. I'm sure they're great, I just need something slimmer and smaller

19. NickFroelich

NickFroelich New Member

Also a little big

20. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Ah i see well if your looking for a 40 i wouldnt suggest the taurus. Now on the compact side cz makes their p07 duty line in 40 and its an excellent platform or you could always look at the ruger sr series

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013