Top 10 Ridiculously Huge Handguns

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by DrumJunkie, Apr 20, 2010.

1. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

2. GeauxTigersGuy

GeauxTigersGuy New Member

This is a 5-star thread. And, that is by far the coolest top-10 ever compiled. :D

3. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Damn.....I've only shot 30% of them.

4. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

5. RedWineKline

RedWineKline New Member

How could anyone consider that 28mm worthless haha

6. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

It should be poking out of the radome of an A-10 Warthog.

7. sleevespade

sleevespade New Member

Almost embarrassed to admit that I own and rely upon one of those guns, the Smith & Wesson Model 29. Have had it for more then three decades and occasionally bring it out for exercise when I feel like my bell needs ringing. The original walnut furniture is beautiful, but I replaced the grips with some butt-ugly Pachymyer rubber to save my hands (the discharge tends to impart semi-permanent checkering to one's palms). In its defense, the revolver is well-made, accurate, reliable, don't-f**k-with-me intimidating and resides in my home, loaded with Hornady's best .44 magnum hollow points, hidden but handy as a personal defense weapon.

Thanks for a fun posting.

8. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Man..I think that 44 would look a little small if you size it up with the 28mm...And that's a little skeery :eek: It's a shame really that a 44 is so fun to shoot yet it does tend to wear the shooter down after a few cylinders :) But again that's maybe what makes it so dang fun..heh

9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member

What a freaking idiot!!!

"Leave it to the hunters to begin making a series of firearms to dwarf anything else on the U.S. production schedule. These moose killing, beer drinking, moonshine stilling, happy-go-lucky animal hunters needed a revolver that would penetrate dense brush, foliage, even small trees, and still bring down a grizzly bear. A 5-shot-wonder, the 460XVR, as its name suggests, will compensate for the hunter’s package size and allow a brief moment of glory in the field comparable only to dropping an atomic bomb."

I like this one too.

Read the piece about the 460XVR and imagine adding .04 calibers to the diameter of the round

Does anyone remember learning about the caliber as a unit of measure?

Another instance of a person who knows absolutely nothing about firearms ranting about how worthless they are. Outside of the .50 DE, I could find a use for all of those weapons. Hey, everyone needs an anti tank round right? :D

10. Mark F

Mark F New Member

Totally pointless.

11. Rick1967

Rick1967 Active Member

I have a 629. I know someone with a 45-70 revolver. And the Taurus Judge is very popular. I had a 54 cal black power pistol as a teenager. But the 28mm and the BMG are pretty hard to justify.

12. Mark F

Mark F New Member

I have several 629's and even a 329PD. I also have a Taurus Judge and several Ruger 44 Magnums. I wouldn't mind owning an 460 XVR or even a 454 Casull, but I can't seem to justify their usefulness... and they are too expensive to buy & shoot.

I did shoot a BFR 45-70 a few years ago, and my wrist still hasn't recovered... it's "almost" as bad as my 329PD.

13. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

But the zombies, man, THE ZOMBIES!

14. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

Forgot about this monster.

50 Alaskan 750

There is a use for it, Id like to someday day say I killed a Grizzly from 600 yards with pistol.:cool:

Attached Files:

15. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Dont be embarrased of a Model 29 being a home defense gun, there's nothing wrong with it. I know I'd use it as a HD gun if I had one.

As for the 10 pistols, its sad Dirty Harry's gun is at the 10th...but the 28mm must be a wrist breaker, even with all that metal. I want to see one of the 50BMG pistols in action...

16. crossfire

crossfire New Member

What???? No mention of the Bison 45-70 single action, the Wildey semi-auto or the Dan Wesson SuperMags?
    What a half-fast list.

17. GatorDude

GatorDude New Member

I like this top 10 list. I don't know what it is about people wanting bigger and bigger guns. (Seems like big guns are less important now that ammo has gotten super expensive and Enzyte has hit the market. :rolleyes:)

All kidding aside though, it is a lot of fun to shoot some of these big arse weapons at least a few times. I remember shooting the Desert Eagle in .44 Magnum. Shooting Memories: The Magnum Research .44 Magnum Desert Eagle It was definitely a blast.