Tikka T3 hunter 270

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by wallyhunter66, Nov 29, 2013.

1. wallyhunter66

wallyhunter66 New Member

I was looking for a rifle to hunt deer with and came across a Tikka T3 hunter in 270 it's blued with the wood stock. The action is as smooth as butter and from what I have read and have been told, they are great shooters too. The gun is in the $600 range. Was thinking of a VX-3 or vortex optics. I'm just asking for a few opinions/experiences before I buy. I'm also looking at X-bolt but it's $200 more. Any thought?

2. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Tikka's are excellent rifles. Get the Tikka, and put the extra money you would have spent on the browning for a decent scope

3. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

My brother has a Tikka T3 in .270. It is a great rifle. I'd buy it!

4. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

The Tikka is the poormans Sako. get it and you won't regret it

5. Mercator

Mercator New Member

The price is right up to $600. The Tikka Hunters have been discounted lately. The bolt action is great. Small quibbles: the safety lever is a little crappy; the trigger guard is plastic; spare mags were pushing $90 last I checked; the barrel will get hot quickly, it is truly for hunting not targets.

6. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Overlooked it about the X Bolt. If you like it, consider an A Bolt while they last. Handle one at a LGS. I used to have a Tikka, but now have an A Bolt.

7. wallyhunter66

wallyhunter66 New Member

The rifle isn't a composite stock model, so the trigger guard is steel and it has the medium contour barrel so not as small diameter. Barrel is actually heavier than the X-bolt.

8. wallyhunter66

wallyhunter66 New Member

But I don't like the safety as much either.

9. wallyhunter66

wallyhunter66 New Member

10. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

My father in law has one in .270 and swears by it. Outside of HIS father, I have never met anyone that has taken more deer and antelope.

11. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Sako is a poor man's Blaser. ::p

12. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I wouldnt own a chevy if I won it. :p

13. Gatoragn

Gatoragn New Member

I have an X Bolt in .308, very happy with it.

Nothing wrong with a Tikka.

14. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Same barrel as I was referring to, mine was a Hunter Varmint.

15. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member

Wally,
    Was checking out the Threads today and found your Tikka thread. I just got one today at an estate auction in 270. It is the Camo Stainless Barrel model. Like new for $475.00. I had a new Simmons 6.5X20 Scope setting around and mounted it this afternoon. As all have stated the action is smooth. Sure I would love to have a SAKO but parting with $1600-$1900 is a little too much. $475 or $600 sounds a lot better. Tomorrow I am going to adjust the trigger down to around 3 lbs which I prefer. It is very simple to do as obviously it is well designed as the SAKOs are as well. After working with it this afternoon I think you would be more than satisfied with the Tikka T-3. I probably would have preferred a 308 or 30-06 only my preference with little experience with the 270. But the 270 Win. has stood the test of time also!
    :)

16. WhelanLad

WhelanLad New Member

Maybe an old thread but Dont over look an Abolt! wood or plastic both got that Abolt feel.. try before you buy but if you like the feel you'l love the rifle!

i have one in 300wsm an put a friend onto a Wood .270 he loves it.

triggers need spring cut or a new one but other than that good to go.
    wl

17. wallyhunter66

wallyhunter66 New Member

Just found a stainless a-bolt 30 06 with boss for about 600 new, what do you think about the a-bolts and how well does the boss work it had both the ported and solid weights?

18. Gatoragn

Gatoragn New Member

A bolts are solid performers. Not personally familiar with the BOSS system other than the ports make hearing protection doubly important for the shooter.

Browning still makes excellent firearms.

19. Mercator

Mercator New Member

I have an A Bolt. It replaced the Tikka Varmint. I like the hinged "never lost" mag and the top tang safety.

20. toddchaney

toddchaney New Member

I would not hesitate buying one. One of my friends has Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in 270 WSM. It's good.