Taurus PT92 Holster

Discussion in 'Taurus Forum' started by Balota, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Balota

Balota I used to play keyboards, but now ...

My son has a Taurus PT92 with a rail on it. People seem to think that it's "just like a Beretta 92". But it's not. We've tried two or three holsters that claim to be suitable for the Taurus PT92 and the Beretta 92. In each case, the differences in location of the safety (on slide for Beretta, on frame for Taurus) has led to a misfit. Also, the Beretta generally does not have a rail which makes the Taurus rail interfere, usually with one of the tensioning screws.

Does anyone know who makes a good Taurus PT92 holster? Looking for IWB concealed carry holster.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

I use my xdm gear holster which is a perfect fit for my m9a1 which has a rail and my inox compact. Its a owb paddle type holster. It also works great with my sig p220. The safety on the m9 doesn't come anywhere near the holster it shouldn't be an issue for a pt92

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc New Member

Specter gear makes a decent non specific holster. A friend has one for his Beretta and it has room to accommodate a rail, and wouldn't be specifically cut for either safety. It also fits his Sig 226 and Glock 22.

4. Balota

If he goes OWB he wants some useful retention. He thought he found one, but it has a big drop and offset. Not IDPA legal. And if he does start shooting IDPA, he wants to practice with what he carries.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

I use a serpa for my 1911's that have that little push button lock. But I prefer the xdm gear because it uses friction to retain the gun adjusteded by two screws.

Carrying ccw isn't the same need as a police officer who may wrassle with bad guys. A civvy isn't going to be trying to cuff a drunk who may go for the gun so retention isn't a real issue other than the gun just not falling out.

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc New Member

Crossbreed and some of the other custom kydex holster makers can make one that is comfortable for CCW and would work for IDPA. With kydex he may be able to find something close in fit, and use a heat gun to form it more specifically for the Taurus.

(Or in my anti-Taurus mode, trade the Taurus for a Beretta) ;)

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

i would second this... heh

8. Balota

He bought the Taurus specifically because it has the safety on the frame instead of the slide.

Personally, I think concealment is a level of retention. But open carry is at risk of someone trying to snatch the gun. Simple friction is enough for IDPA rules, but not a defense against a snatch attempt.

9. Balota

Good point about heat gun adjustment for kydex.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

I like having oc here in wisconsin but i always keep a shirt or jacket over my gun for that reason.

One of the biggies thats hard to maintain is awareness of who is around you.

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc New Member

I also, have a Bianchi 7001 cordura holster that I use for IDPA hta thas a snap closure, rides high enough on the belt that it can be concealed, and it accomodates my Beretta 92, my Glock 17, or a 1911. It may be adaptable enough for his needs.

12. Balota

Thanks! We'll look into them.

13. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...

Boy you Taurus haters don't let up. You all think EVERY gun that came off their line In Every model is just Horrible Huh?
    Not one of you "Who Hates" on them has bought a model new in the last calendar year have you? Or met the CEO and QA director personally, where they specifically said they will REPLACE any malfunctioning gun at the owners request...no,..I guess you have not....

Balota: DeSantis makes Specific models for both the Beretta and the Taurus 92. I have one of each for each gun. But I also like Chest and shoulder rigs, which might not be suitable for your Son. Safariland and Uncle Mikes also offer sep. Models. My Uncle Mikes can be used by itself or with a rigid Kydex insert between the leather and the Waist/Hip...today I carried my M9A1 in it because it was windy and a little cooler here so I wore a flannel shirt jacket...walked all over my development taking photos of all the lousy cracks in the chip seal paving that our town refuses to spend our tax dollars on to repair. No one even noticed, just like when I was doing it the other day and no one noticed the LC9 under my "Veterans" Vest..
    Hope I helped. Seems like I'm not helping out by being here anymore. Starting to not have fun anymore either. When it gets like that too much it's time to check out.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  14. Balota

You're a day late for April Fools, Doc! You would surely be missed. Thanks for your suggestions. I like Safariland ALS holsters. My EDC lives in one and I use it for IDPA. We looked on the website for PT92 but no luck. Maybe some other style than ALS. We'll check out that site again.

15. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...

Ok, Wasn't joking, and two of the worse things that ever happened to me both happened on 4/1...
    Quartermaster(s) puts out a few of their own as well as carrying the Safariland line. If he has a little more$$ to spend he might look at Mitch Rosen's site. I just found out I'm going to the Western Gun and collectables show this Sunday. I will let ypu know if I see anything good. Oh, good luck Saturday...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  16. Big Gay Al

Big Gay Al New Member

Blackhawk SERPA holsters are nice but, they don't make one that fits the Taurus PT92. The one for the Beretta, does not work with the Taurus. Something different about the trigger guard.

While retention may not be an issue for concealed carry, it is for anyone who carries openly. You don't want just friction for an OC handgun.

17. Big Gay Al

Big Gay Al New Member

Frankly, I don't see the point in trading "down" from the Taurus to the Beretta. :D

18. St8LineGunsmith

St8LineGunsmith New Member

I have a Tarus PT-92 and a Beretta P9 and both pistols peform and function equally with exception for the location of the safety which should have zero bearing of the holster fit between the two pistols because the frames are identical ambedextrious frames.
    one is no better than the other IMO

I custome make holsters and the mold I use fits the taurus and beretta.
    I dont have a mold for a PT-92 with rail

19. Big Gay Al

Big Gay Al New Member

Mine doesn't have a rail. :) Out of curiosity, how much?

20. St8LineGunsmith

St8LineGunsmith New Member

I have these two pancakes ready for delivery for $45.00 per shipped.
    IWB pancake or paddle would be 50.00 shipped but would be two weeks out because I would have to make one.
    BTW this is my own design.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014